Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello all,

I have waited months to post about my new PA and I can't wait any longer!

I joined the Hobie family last summer after purchasing a Hobie PA12… I loved it but… it was kind of an impulse buy. I knew I wanted one but I never considered the PA14 because the place I bought it didn’t have one in stock at the time and I wanted to take one home that day.

I sold my PA12 and bought a PA14 this spring. I started from scratch… The following is a list and photos of all the upgrades and accessories

TRANSPORTATION/STORAGE
I’m relatively short (5’2’’) and drive a 2013 CRV. A trailer was not an option. I struggled to get the PA12 on my roof never mind this wider, longer, heavier, PA14 so I began looking into some options. I wanted the easiest, safest, and most PA friendly way possible… Solution, the Rhino Rack NKL. It was a challenge to make everything come together but I got everything to work and nothing was compromised, thanks to a local machine shop and Jeff over at U.S. Rhino Rack Headquarters

Parts:
Rhino Rack NKL
Thule Aero Bars 50” (machine milled out)
Thule Podium Foot Pack

In addition to transportation to the body of water, I now needed a solution to get it fully loaded into the water by my self. Don’t want to ding up my new investment! I settled on a Dynamic Dolly. This thing is awesome. Light weight, comes apart easily and fits in the back of my CRV. It also works flawlessly with the Rhino Rack NKL! Ben, with Dynamic Dollies out of RI, was very helpful and sent me a different handle top to alter the point of support for the front of the PA. Ultimately handle was a good change, but not recommended for long-term storage of the PA. Too much weight on the front handle I think.

Parts
10062 Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14 Dolly

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

For storage, I keep my PA on a rack I built last year for the PA12. Works great for the PA14 as well. I did add some “J” bars to accommodate a second smaller kayak (Ascend fs10) and a floor on the bottom for gear and such. Keeps the weight in the kayaks to a minimum.

ACCESSORIES
So now that we got it into the water we need some style and accessories right?! My list of accessories are as follows:

• Hobie H-Bar
• Hobie Steering Knob
• Hobie Floor Hatch Bucket
• Hobie Fish Finder Install Kit III
• Hobie PA Front Hatch Cooler (coming soon)
• Hobie Anchor Trolley (upgraded ¼’’ blue nylon poly rope w/splitter, harmony side clips, lime green ¼ bungee, and NiteIze Locking S-biner)
• Hobie PFD

• Yakattack GT175 12” x2
• Yakattack Mighty Mount x2
• Yakattack Track Mounted Retractor Featuring T-Reign x2
• Yakattack Park n’ Pole Clips
• Yakattack 8’ Park n’ Pole
• Yakattack Gear Track Bar Clamps
• Yakattack VISICarbon Pro, MightyMount ready w Jolly Roger Flag

• RAM Rod Revolution Tube with 1.5" Screwball
• RAM fishfinder display mount for Lowrance Elite-4 and Elite-5 series fishfinders. For rugged use applications.

• Tackle Webb Vantage Seat Holsters
• Cooper Anchor (coming soon)
• SeaDog Bow Light
• Supernova HPA Custom Kit (coming soon)
• Blue Sea Double USB Port
• GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition
• Kayalu Surfpole 31" Arm & Base
• Lowrance Elite-5 HDI Fish Finder and GPS Plotter w/Sun Cover and Navionics card
• ¼’’ Lime Green Bungee Accents
• Stainless Steel Pad Eye Tackle Bungee Under Vantage Seat
• SeaDek Custom PA14 Kit

I think I got everything… I will update this when the “coming soon” stuff comes in.

ANCHOR TROLLY UPGRADE
I used harmony side clips with micro NiteIze locking s-biners. Stainless solid rings and lime green bungee. Also picked up some neat rope splitters.

ELECTRONICS
I didn’t want to make any large holes for switches but I did however want a switch panel. I decided to go with a 4 switch WestMarine panel. So far, so good. I made myself a giant remote so to speak. And used the same plugs that come with the Hobie Fish Finder Install Kit III. Delphi plugs. They are waterproof and work great! My Sea Dog USB port is a must have for charging my phone and GoPro. Looks sharp too!

ImageImageImageImage

My GoPro is mounted on a 31” RAD Pole form Kayalu. I use the GoPro float back to ensure that if it comes loose I can retrieve it. I have several other accessories for my go pro and keep them all in a Pelican case.

ImageImageImage

As for the Lowarnce HDI install… not as hard as I thought but would have gone smoother if the PA came predrilled for the additional cords. Not as big of a speed bump as having short arms tho. ;-)

ImageImageImage

LIGHTS
My bow light, from SeaDog, was an idea I got from this site actually… forgive me but I can’t remember where. The install was pretty easy and the Hobie sticker on the front fits perfectly on top of the light (also an idea I got from this site). I used some silicone to fill the hole and create a good seal and flat surface area.

ImageImage

I will be ordering a HPA custom light kit from Supernova Fishing Lights soon and I will update this post as soon as they are installed.

The BEST for last…

SEADEK
Let me start off by saying thank you! Thank you! Thank you! to Paige and all the folks at SeaDek for the patience and willingness to create the sickest PA SeaDek kit in existance! (I’m a little basis of course) It really was great working with them and I could not have gotten a better product! I’m actually waiting on another front pad. The one in the photos is AMAZING but the camo certainly did its job. It says PADDLE FISHIN’ with a 14 accent in-between the PA (play on Por Angler 14) but it’s hard to see. SeaDek offered to render a new design and send me another pad at no cost!!! I was told in the mean time to use the original, pictured here, until my new one comes in! This design is a great one suited for a solid top color… not a camo one. It was quite the process. About 3 months! The communication was great all the way and their patience second to none. I made a ton of revisions! Great things take time and this kit was well worth the wait!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Special thanks to:

Paige & Crew @ SeaDek
Luther @ Yakattack
Ben @ Dynamic Dollies
Jeff @ Rhino Rack
“The Ship” at Fay’s Boat Yard, Gilford,NH

You folks are amazing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ccralleo on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fantastic!! Lots of work.... I'm sure you'll enjoy every moment on the water!

"A wet bird never flies at night"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice Job!!!

Regards...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great looking setup. I like the way you load it on the vehicle as well. The color matched shock cords go great with your SeaDek trim. :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great job, boat looks great, and quite the roof rack system.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now that is one fully loaded Pro Angler! The picture with you in the front compartment was an eye opener! I had to do some work in my 14' PA's front compartment yesterday and there is not a lot of room in there!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

lol it didn't feel roomy either :lol: Thanks guys, for all the complements! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice job on everything! Image

I've used the Harmony SlideTrax Tie Downs on several anchor trolley installs, with the last two being on my first & second PA12's and will be using on my soon to arrive PA14. Great guides to use when the trolley lines have a tendency to pull into the cockpit.

Quick question; why a float on the "floating" YakAttack Park-n-Pole?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh that's where I got the Harmony side clip idea ;-)
Sometimes I like to stake it and use it as a target... Also helps to spot it if it comes loose in the waster. I know it floats but you can't see it from a distance floating flat on the waters surface. I also used paracord with a reflective trace in to so it would be more visible at night or dusk. The reflective piece on it is very big... But the paracord gets the job done nicely. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is awesome. Can you created a video show us how you load and unload your PA? Also, the modifications you made for your rack, was it extensive?

Thanks for the great info.

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

http://youtu.be/FIpxXv9Ah3c

This is a good video of the rack in action!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

LOOKS AWESOME

Military Police, USAR SFC

Broward County Florida

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great information , Good job finding the dolly company didn't even know that anything like that existed .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pimp my ride.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks everyone!