Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

(censored) wrote:
18-lb thrust Watersnake can't weigh more than about 4- to 5-lbs. It pushes my Revo-13 along at about 3 mph on low and about 4.5 + on high speed. Wind does make a difference, however.

FYI, Tom's motor mount is great but I have noticed that on the one I made, the conduit clamps became a bit loose, probably due to slightly large screw holes, allowing the motor to wiggle quite a bit... I made a small dam with tape around the PVC fitting and filled with JB Weld to cover the screw heads... now, they,re as tight as... well, you know...

Hope this helps someone...

Wow! That's a lot of speed you're getting. I put the same motor on my 16' adventure (Kirkman inspired mount, thanks again Tom!) however, I'm maxing out at 3.2 mph. I wired in an eBay pulse width modulator for better battery economy. It's interesting, my top speed is reached at about 3/4 full on the dial. Full power results in slightly slower speed. I wonder if this is the point where I run out of needed prop pitch or power to drive what's there? I'd love to get more speed.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very clever set up thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone made one of these motor mounts for a pro angler 14? I have all the parts but the geometry doesn't look right. It looks like the first 90 degree elbow should be a 45 degree instead. I will post some pics today of what I mean.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The mount will work fine on a PA but the geometry of the parts is going to be a little bit different owing to the different shape of the PA's hull versus that of the kayak hulls in general.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would come in a lot closer, mounting the first two elbows almost against each other. That may work, but I have my doubts. You'll have to rig up a motor and try it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That is as close as I can get because of the angle of the rod holder

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What does it look like from the top? Have you tried angling the first elbow back towards the stern a bit? Or towards the bow? You might have to do one or the other to get the mount to "wedge" itself in place under power. The PA hull slopes immediately down and in, rather than out and then in, like on the regular Hobie kayak hulls.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I tried both and this just enhances the ability for the unit to "climb out". Plus I think the rod holders are angled out and back more on PA. I am on prototype#5 now.
1. was as you see it. This works the best, but still not great.
2. angled backwards motorshaft wont clamp because the mounting head is inside the gunnel line.
3 angled forward. See #2
4. a 45 and a 22.5 degree elbow attached. correct angle but the downtube is 1.75 inches from the hull
5 still messing about with this one

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Have you tried a heat gun to refine the shape of the pipes to conform to the hull?

Not sure if that constitutes cheating with this simple mount :).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom, you were my first YouTube subscription after buying my Hobie kayaks. I've already used many of the ideas you have kindly shared (I love my Kirkman dual boat trailer) but I think this simple motor mount may be the best of them all. As a small lake fisherman I don't think I will be using a motor in the near future but I will be making the motor mounts anyway just because they are so cool. Thanks for all of your imaginative postings. jr

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6