Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need a different cart?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi i just goy my mirage outfitter tandem last week and i am not hoppy with the plug in cart is hard to lifth the kayak do remove the whels in and out of the water what would you recommend as a better option
thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I assume you install the cart by turning the hull on it's side to insert the cart......and then, to remove it at the waters edge, pull the pin, lift the end closest to the cart and it will "fall out".

I ended up buying a C-tug cart http://www.kayakshed.com/nrs/c-tug-cart and liked it much better overall.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:21 am 
Site Admin

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
I assume you install the cart by turning the hull on it's side to insert the cart......and then, to remove it at the waters edge, pull the pin, lift the end closest to the cart and it will "fall out".

Yes, that is the best way and quite easy to do. Or just roll it on it's side to pull the cart out. Nicest thing about a plug-in cart as they stay put once plugged in! Strap on carts are a pain to set up and if not strapped on tight, they move.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

how about this one will it work on a tendom outfitter or is specially made for the TI

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

You would love the dolly we call a "PA Universal". Would work on your boat. Easy to load... super easy to move a boat around on them. Big sand tires if your are going over soft sand. Image below is similar, but this is the AI / TI version.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt is correct about the strap coming loose on the C-tug is a royal pain.
I solved the issue by replacing the factory straps with 2, NRS-9's ($12).....just cut to length and use the factory strap fittings at the cart end.

To prevent my Outback from moving/sliding on the cart, I fed the straps under the side carrying handles and then to the clam clamp....simple and secure.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
You would love the dolly we call a "PA Universal". Would work on your boat. Easy to load... super easy to move a boat around on them. Big sand tires if your are going over soft sand. Image below is similar, but this is the AI / TI version.

thanks for the info

any idea of where i can buy it?
can't find it any where
thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Any Hobie Kayak dealer has access to it. They may not always stock.

http://www.hobiecat.com/dealers/

80046201 HOBIE DOLLY, PA-UNI BEACH-TIRE

80046101 HOBIE DOLLY, PA-UNI TUFF-TIRE

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can someone describe a method for getting a TI on and off the PA Universal cart. When pulling the TI from the water onto the cart the cart tends to move with the kayak, rather than the boat sliding onto the cart. I have similar problems when trying to launch to boat.
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

Lift the bow and use the handle to push the cart as far under as possible.

With two this is easy...

Hold / pull lightly on the hull or aka and use your foot to roll the cart wheel. That is like driving the cart under the hull. Doesn't take a lot of effort.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jrizo1 wrote:
Hi i just goy my mirage outfitter tandem last week and i am not hoppy with the plug in cart is hard to lifth the kayak do remove the whels in and out of the water what would you recommend as a better option
thanks

We never liked trying to turn our Oasis on its side to get the Hobie cart into or out of the scupper holes.

The CTug is a lot easier to use and when you get the straps down correctly, it does a great job. There is a YouTube showing a TI on a CTug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNmeRIPUrQA

I believe that Hobie now lists the CTug in its catalogs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FWIW like other posters I am very happy with the C-Tug: have two plus a plug-in cart. There is a minor issue of the straps slipping but this is easily and cheaply remedied and the straps on mine never slip irrespective of load or ground being covered. Other carts do have fatter sand wheel options but soft sand has never been a particular issue for me.

The other things I particularly like about the C-tug are that it is plastic - so no rust; it breaks down quickly and easily for storage inside the boat and it has big wide pads so you can leave your boat on it for extended periods without getting a dented bottom (the boat - not you!)

Strap on carts in general have a couple of benefits - one is that you can place the cart anywhere you like along the length of the boat; this means that you can make the lifting load on the towing handle as light as you like, which is useful if you tend to load your boat up with gear before towing. The second thing is that when you drag the kayak onto/from a beach down/up the lip of a dune, as the boat comes down the slope to the beach the wheels can leave the ground as the boat straddles the angle between beach and dune, at this point a plug-in cart can fall out, whereas a strap on cart stays stuck to the boat as you transition from dune to beach (hope you get what I mean here - I haven't explained particularly well).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

mmiller wrote:
Any Hobie Kayak dealer has access to it. They may not always stock.

http://www.hobiecat.com/dealers/

80046201 HOBIE DOLLY, PA-UNI BEACH-TIRE

80046101 HOBIE DOLLY, PA-UNI TUFF-TIRE

Hobie Mirage Island Beach wheel version:

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For myself, Heavy duty scupper cart is the best. But, that being said the C-Tug Sandtrax comes in handy. Since there is no lowrance ready transducer mount on the Revo 11, I had to use one of the scupper holes to get the best mount for the transducer. So no scupper cart. Mostly man handle but on occasion I will use the C-Tug.
On the TI, I find that the C-Tug Sandtrax is insufficient by itself, it just can't handle that weight. But the heavy duty scupper cart can. But on landing and hauling. I first use the scupper cart to clear the water, having carried it with me on the launch, then I get the C-Tug out of the truck and slide/secure it on the TI also. With the combination of both the C-Tug and Heavy duty scupper carts I can easily move the TI up the beach.
If you are not using one of the scupper holes, the scupper carts are the way to go. If you do it right you should never have to tip the kayak on it's side. Install the scupper cart on the water, for islands remove cart on the water.
Use additional carts, your choice for heavier kayak moving when needed.