Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: PA17 Tandem
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jbernier

Can you comment on cradles? Are they unique to the 17T or will my PA14 cradles work?

What about spacing and length of PVC bunks?

I wish I'd have known that this was coming out, I would've held off purchasing my PA14 in March. But, I now want the 17T so I want to set my trailer up for it now since it's only temporarily rigged for my 14.

Post subject: Re: PA 17
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The brochure states the only color as 'dune'. All of the videos and photos presented to this point in time are the 'dune' color.

Are other colors planned?

Keeping my options open.......

Gladdly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I realize my circumstances are un usual down here in south Florida and the keys so what I think doesn't apply to everyone. But especially down here in key west (where we are right now) there are only a couple places where you can launch a boat from a trailer (how I assume most everyone will transport this monster), which is similar to my situation with my TI. One thing we have discovered with the inter coastal system and the keys is the expanses are huge. Wherever you are able to launch can and usually is vast areas of bare sand. It can be quite a distance to any viable fishing and snorkeling areas (we spear fish btw).
Battery and electric technology is great but your range, speed, and safety factor is always limited and finite.
For these reasons I have gas outboards mounted on my TI where I can carry extra fuel to get me where I want to go. A good example is here in key west where the only suitable boat launch is on the west side of the island near Mallory square ( and the cruise ship ports) but any place we would like to go is at least 3-5 miles from there.
Are there any plans to provide optional motor mounts to the pa17. The ideal setup in my eyes would be to mount something like the 27 lb honda 2.3 motor to the boat to get you out to the fishing grounds, then tilt the motor up and use the mirage drives and a front mount trolling motor with I-pilot once you are out there for the day. When your done you just fire the motor back up and travel the 5-8 miles back to launch.
Now my next question is how stable is the boat offshore in the typical 1 to 2 ft chop, or even protected areas like Tampa bay or sarasota bays.
The same applies up north, (distance wise) where we launch at sarasota bay can be quite a distance from where we want to be.
In conclusion having such a large boat is great, but the days of just throwing it on the roof and pulling to the side of the road and launching anyplace you desire might be over with this boat.
Just stuff to think about for the salties. For all the freshwater and lake fishermen everywhere I see this thing being the ultimate fish slayer platform and one of those things that every serious fisherman has to have and is already softening up the wife in anticipation.
Bob

Post subject: Re: PA 17
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:24 am 
Site Admin

Gladdly wrote:
Are other colors planned?

In the future (next model year?) possibly... Initial introduction is only in Dune.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:52 am 

Last edited by BassinProf on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BassinProf wrote:
I like the new cup holders. Will they work on the rails of the other Pro Anglers?

No - only for the H Rail system. Maybe in the future we can offer a new rail system for older PA's but this isn't in the works yet. If you want the new cup holder - all you have to do it get in line to buy a PA17T
:)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

On a similar vein, can the new trolling motor mount seen on the PA17T be fitted to the current PA14 and PA12 hulls?

Cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My money is on a retrofit kit for the new rail system on previous versions of the PA. Even if they sell the rail at cost, Hobie will clean up on the accessories that can be used on the H-rails. As far as I know, no other manufacturer has a mounting system that works with the H-rail. It would be silly to not offer a product to existing Hobie owners that would force them to purchase products only offered by Hobie.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It looks like the H-Rail would be an easy retrofit for a 2012 and earlier PA, but with the rudder control incorporated with the rail on the newer models, it may be a little more work.

If Hobie wants me to test them out with my retrofitted Vantage seat equipped 2012 PA14, I would be glad to help. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

230 lbs with out any gear installed!!! No Thanks, I'll just use my boat, holds 4 people and a case of beer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What are the differences between the Vantage seating on the PA 12 & 14 and the Vantage XL seating on the new PA 17T ?

Thanks
Gladdly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From the video I saw, the 3" elevation change feature is "built into the frame" as opposed to being mounted on the hull and the "seat elevation change pull cord" is now "internal to the seat" structure.
The might be some other subtle changes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:37 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
differences between the Vantage seating on the PA 12 & 14 and the Vantage XL seating

Frame is taller on the XL.

Quote:
new trolling motor mount seen on the PA17T be fitted to the current PA14 and PA12 hulls?

Not designed to fit, but may be adapted. Not going to be available for awhile as a spare part.

Quote:
Can you comment on cradles? Are they unique to the 17T

Yes, unique. No trailer dimensions are yet available. Again, this boat will first be available in late Fall.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Can the new, higher Vantage seat be used in the modern Vantage-seat era PA's?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its not the same system - the kickstand is part of the seat. So not really sure it will work on the other style boats. I'll need to look at that a bit more to see if it's possible - but I do not believe it will transfer across.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next