Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Port Location
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've got a '85 H16, and am planning to install the Viking 5" ports w/ cat bags in each hull. Anybody have any recommendations for the best place to locate the ports? I'm concerned about structural integrity. I've seen them behind the tramp, as well as ahead of them. I was actually thinking of putting them beneath the tramp - less likely to step on them there, but a little harder to get at. Planning to use a Rotozip saw to cut the hulls, I just don't want to put them anywhere that will weaken the hull more than necessary. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:15 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

From a structural basis, about a foot behind the front pylons is best. However, you're right on top of the styrofoam flotation block there, so you don't have room for the bag. They're also hard to get to when you're sitting on the tramp. The guys that put them there are using them to dry out the hulls.

As scary as it seems (from a structural basis), the best place to put them (to be used as storage) is about a foot in front of the front pylon.

I had to install one there to repair a broken pylon shoe 11 years ago and the boat is still going strong (with another owner, now).