Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If she's still not sure yet, buy a Revo 11.
You can use it whenever/wherever you want and then you can have her use it to "try it out". If she likes it enough, buy another Revo11 or a Revo13 for yourself. Sounds like you will be going solo a bit more than you anticipated...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Mark!
My name is Mark and I live close to you. I live on Lanier and we recently got 2 Revo 11s. We absolutely love them and use em almost daily! Have you been to Outside World in Dawsonville GA off 400? They are a dealer. I believe they rent Revo 13s and the AI. I'm always looking for Hobie buddies....when u decide your welcome to come explore with us! Let me know if you need anything. Good luck! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mark,

That is where I demoed the Oasis and a Revo 13. The Revo was a fast and very maneuverable craft. I liked it a lot. Do you car top them? Use the sail option? The Oasis was a 2010 with the V1 Mirage Drive. I thought the V2 on the Revo 13 was better. If my wife can't make up her mind I may go solo. Thanks for the offer.

See any AI's or TI's on Lanier?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mark,
I have an F150 pickup with bed extender if we want to take them somewhere. Otherwise we launch from our dock. I rarely see Hobies out here. I have seen a few Sports several ProAnglers. The other week I saw a woman crossing the channel on a Revo but was on my power boat and headed to dinner (running late). I just picked up a sail off craiglist, havnt used it yet but boy am I excited! I'm trying to decided if I want Hobie Amas or the Castlecraft stabilizer system (posted a thread) Then I'll be out sailing!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guys be very careful with the Hobie sail kits, "THEY ARE HIGHLY ADDICTIVE", they should have a warning label (lol).
If your anything like the rest of us addicts, after you use the sail kit a few times you will find you don't want to go anywhere without one strapped to the side of the boat. This is all Hobies master plan to 'world domination' in the sailing world, introducing a whole new generation of people into the sailing world. I know I fell for it hook line and sinker (yes I've been an addict for 8 yrs now), and loving every minute of it. (Just kidding around)
Bob
On a serious note, Hobie dealers can't discount the kayaks (except demo's, and older models), but most will usually discount accessories if purchased with the boat, when ever we buy a new boat we always buy the accessories with the boat ( ie... Sail kit, scupper cart, anchor, pfd's, lights, etc) with the boat. At least that's what we do anyway. My opinion is yes Hobies are a little expensive but you get more value than pretty much anything else out there (my opinion)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jcanracer wrote:
If she's still not sure yet, buy a Revo 11.
You can use it whenever/wherever you want and then you can have her use it to "try it out". If she likes it enough, buy another Revo11 or a Revo13 for yourself. Sounds like you will be going solo a bit more than you anticipated...

Or you can buy an Oasis or trade up.

Re the sun problem. My wife's ancestors are from the UK and Nordic areas. She can burn to a crisp in a short time if we don't get her in sun blocking clothing from hat to pants and use a good sun blocker.

Below are what we use to fend off the sun. I fly fish in the sun and hot California sun. I use Under Armor fishing shirts with the sun protection, Tilley hats, Glacier Gloves and a Buff Bacalava along with Banana Boat 50 Sun Blocker.

http://www.coolibar.com/category/Women/ ... 0/2241.uts

Glacier Gloves great for paddling, fishing, yaking 50 UPF: My favorite fishing./yakking glove: http://www.amazon.com/Glacier-Glove-Str ... B001UE8DCW

Solar Blocking gloves: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... qs46uvt9_b

Tilley hats: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... 8hqcktht_b

Sun Blocking Pants for women: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... +for+women

Buff Face Masks and Bacalava http://buffusa.com/sports/collections/u ... protection

Last but not least: Banana Boat Ultramist Baby Tear Free Lotion SPF 50, 6-Ounces (Pack of 3) by Banana Boat (Feb 7, 2009)

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... n91o0b3d_b

Sunblocking accessories for your Hobie from Hobie: HOBIE DODGER, Hobie Bimini Sun Shield.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob,

Think my wife doing a TI demo under sail in Dana Point harbor will be enough to "addict" her enough to want a TI? LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Grampa, grateful for the wealth of info regarding sun protection.

Will definitely advise her of the protection available. Appreciate you taking the time to assemble it all. Hopefully it will be enough to calm her sunburn fears.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

brody9981 wrote:
Mark,
I have an F150 pickup with bed extender if we want to take them somewhere. Otherwise we launch from our dock. I rarely see Hobies out here. I have seen a few Sports several ProAnglers. The other week I saw a woman crossing the channel on a Revo but was on my power boat and headed to dinner (running late). I just picked up a sail off craiglist, havnt used it yet but boy am I excited! I'm trying to decided if I want Hobie Amas or the Castlecraft stabilizer system (posted a thread) Then I'll be out sailing!

Mark, grateful if you will kindly keep me advised of your Revo sailing experience as 2 Revo 11's (with sails and amas) might be second choice right now. It might be easier going out by myself as I am right near Allatoona and would like to join you on Lanier. Plus, I could load them on the RX350 and quell my wife's fear of trailers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes sir. I will keep you informed of my progress....you do the same!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have recently received some pretty good advice regarding someone ending up trading a tandem for two singles for them as a couple. The Panama City dealer gave me the same advice. Said I would end up trading the tandem in for two Revos. Just do not know how much my wife would like sailing because she is real excited watching the TI and AI sailing videos without pedaling. My question is how much wind on a lake does it take to have fun? Some of you have been on lakes albeit not with an Island but any insight with a sail on a lake with an Oasis or Adventure or Revo? Bottom line is there usually not enough or often enough wind to invest in a TI for exclusive lake use?

I have talked with three dealers, Go with the flo (they seem to be river oriented), Dawsonville (lake oriented) and Panama City (lake and gulf). The guy in PC gave me the most advice offering me a demo in a lake down there and Brent at Dawsonville seemed to think an Island would work on Lake Lanier but admitted that wind conditions are not always conducive for TI sailing. Any experiences on lake versus ocean use of a TI or AI. Even though I would like a TI maybe two Revos would better suit my situation of mostly lake use with mostly light winds and wifes objections to trailer? Thanks to Grampa I think we have got the sunburn situation covered. So 2 Revo 11's and 2 Hullavators could be in my future? Then I could go out by myself and she could join in when she felt like it as I am starting to feel she is not as into it as I am. Another plus would be easy garage storage for the 11's. Thank goodness for this forum and everyone's kind advice!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mark the Shark wrote:
Thanks to Grampa I think we have got the sunburn situation covered. So 2 Revo 11's and 2 Hullavators could be in my future? Then I could go out by myself and she could join in when she felt like it as I am starting to feel she is not as into it as I am. Another plus would be easy garage storage for the 11's. Thank goodness for this forum and everyone's kind advice!!!!!!

Two quick points.

1. My wife is an RN and for the past 3 + decades was the senior RN for a large FP group. Because of her fair skin and families's fair skin, she became an expert on what to wear and use to prevent sunburn. Her sunburn prevention knowledge has enable a lot of patients, friends and a slew of family members to be out in the sun and not get burnt.

2. You might consider using a Thule Hullivator with your Oasis. Find a good dealer, who installs them to make sure the Hullivator fits your RX. The link below shows how a member of this site, 65Strad, uses a Hullivator with his Oasis.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=43440&hilit=hullavator

A Thule Hullivator eliminates the need for a trailer. You and your wife could easily load and unload your Oasis with a Hullivator.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks,

I am of the opinion that my wife just doesn't think she will want to go out on the water "pedaling" as much as me hence her affinity for the sailing aspect. Therefore, I would be potentially going solo more than I would like even if we manage her sun screens.

If I am not mistaken the Hullavator has a stated max capacity of 75 lbs but that clearly is in error as the 89 lb Oasis obviously fits nicely in the pictures. Thanks for the link as I was discounting that option because of the weight limitations.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Called the Dana Point dealer today and they told my wife she could take the TI out in the harbor, after some instruction, by herself. Since neither of our friends wanted to go with her, one gets seasick and the other is afraid of heights (and open water) so she asked me to go along. Leaving ATL tomorrow morning arr SNA around 11AM. Should be out on the water Monday about 11AM seeing what a TI is like. May be the start of a love affair. Will post how things went upon my return to ATL on Tuesday.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hope you both enjoy the demo.
Don't forget to try it out as a kayak as well (minus aka and ama) so that you can really experience the versatility of this craft.
The TI can be both a full on open water sailing craft or a skinny water kayak. It can carry enough gear for a weeks expedition and still allow you to explore the narrowest of waterways.
I've tried to highlight this in these two clips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6JThKUn ... LQ&index=8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lsHdOrx ... LLaURSS0LQ

Admin: Why don't Youtube thumbnails work anymore?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next