Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Im thinking about buying a f18, but for it to work I need to be able to sail it alone, ive discovered in the last couple of seasons that finding a crew isnt very easy. Wich is why i want ti be able to do some sailing alone, i understand that racing is out of the question, but atleast transport or slow days in the sun would be nice to be able to do alone. Im totally new to multi-hulls..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Possible, but a hand full for the inexperienced. Lighter to moderate winds. After that you need weight on the trapeze to properly sail it.

Loads of fun though. I love sailing single handed. Just sail in safe areas and plan on how to handle a capsize. You need weight on the righting line too. There are systems to handle that.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First off, if you're totally new to multihulls, then an F18 probably is not the best type of boat for you to begin with. A good analogy would be trying to let a teenager learn to drive with a Ferrari. F18's are expensive, complex, overpowered, and unforgiving. There are a lot of other beach cats out there that will provide plenty of performance and are much better suited to someone just starting out.

As far as sailing an F18 solo is concerned, you also need to consider that rigging and moving the boat around on the beach will require considerably more effort when done alone. For the occasional trip, it would certainly be possible to sail an F18 solo in the right conditions, but if you plan to regularly sail solo, an F18 would be far from ideal.

sm