Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So I received my kit today, awesome! I am looking for locations to install the through the hull power connector. I have a TI and I like sailing from the rear seat. I want to cut a hole through the hull on the vertical wall in front of the mirage drive. Here is the location I want to install the power cord

The problem is I don't know if I can access the inside of the boat in that location. I need to hold the backing on the inside while I screw screws through the front. I need someone with very long arms or another location. Here are the only two ways to access the inside of the hull

Has anyone successfully accessed this location??

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would look at mounting the cable somewhere where I could reach it from the centre hatch. If you sail from the rear seat, wouldn't you want the motor in the front so you can use the mirage drive in the rear?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's a good point, maybe place the evolve in the front with the throttle in the rear. I was thinking of that as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I went with John's suggestion and installed the motor in the front but since I sail from the rear seat, I installed the throttle in the back. Taking it out in a few minutes to see how it handles.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So here is the install

first I cut a hole in the forward bulkhead. I was going to install the eVolve motor in the rear mirage drive, but I don't think I could have reached the rear bulkhead from inside.

Here is the hole

Placing the connector piece in the hole so I can drill two pilot holes

Completed front bulkhead which is where I would now plug in the eVolve motor

Last edited by mrasmussen on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is what the front looks like from the inside

Where I decided to place the throttle control. This is on the starboard side, rear seat with the mesh pocket removed

Here is the hole for the throttle

Here is the completed throttle cable through the hull and completely waterproof

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My first day out with the motor and I had a blast. There was absolutely zero wind, the lake looked like glass yet I was able to cruise around. I probably went 4 miles or so before it started getting dark. I wanted to run the battery completely down, but I only got it to 38%. I know on older batteries there was a suggestion to run the battery down all the way and then recharge it 100%. Something about charge memory? Anyway, I didn't read that about these batteries, so I am going to charge it to 100% and take it out tomorrow if is doesn't rain.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Second day out, motor throwing an error 30, I don't have any power. Really? 2K and I get 1 day out of it.

I was going full speed for 20 minutes or so and I went to stop so I can remove the motor from the mirage drive. There was a loud clunk and now the display just shows error 30.

I'm sure it will be replaced, but summer is short and I purposely bought it to enjoy the last month or so. ANNOYING!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Error 30 often indicates the connectors were not screwed into each other tight enough or possibly cross threaded. Check all connections and try it again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Once in a while people put dielectric grease onto the connectors thinking it will protect them from the water, problem is dielectric grease is not intended for electric connections (just read the label on the grease ). This would cause error 30, just sayin.
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I didn't put anything on the connectors. I made sure to keep them dry, and did everything on my part to NOT have a problem. I'm sending this back to the company I bought it from and they are going to send me another one. I only used it for one day. If the next one has issues, I won't be happy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just to clarify, I was driving along find @ full throttle. I then slowed the throttle down, going to stop so I could get ready to beach the TI. While de-throttling I heard a clunk from the motor. I then lost the ability to move forwards or backwards with the motor. I started getting the error 30.

I took the motor home and I plugged the motor AND the throttle DIRECTLY into the battery, removing the possibility that one of the extension cables was the issue. Same error.

I then saw in the manual that you can calibrate the throttle. I thought I would try that as a last resort. It took me probably 10 tries to get the calibration to stick. I kept getting error 23.

I feel like the issue lies with the motor, although the battery itself is a close second.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The E30 error is a nitemare. Had it before and was able to solve it by connecting the cables (without the connector cable) directly to the battery. After a few more trips E30 happened again and I needed to send it to Torqueedo for repair. (apparently it was a software issue which needed expert attention).

Hope you have a Torqueedo dealer in your area because Hobie won't be able to help you...

Peace
Serbi

P.S. The torqueedo motor is awesome but seems to be rather sensible. I would not recommend to put the cables through the hull, they may get wet inside and the connectors may erode. I always put the battery and excess cables in a waterproof bag and put the bag on the storage area of the TI.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm sure you used the blade to straighten the prop before removal and that clink was not the prop hitting the well.
Did you try and plug the throttle alone into to the battery?
I always spray the connectors with aeroduster to get rid of particles and sand.
i also use Deoxit D5 Spray Contact Cleaner - great for all electrical contacts. No residue.
Dont use grease.
Make sure all the connectors are seated properly and screwed in finger tight.
I tried mounting the throttle on the right (I sail from the front) but found it got in the way of the main sheet.
Also make sure you have easu access to the down rudder toggle.
There is a little cheat sheet of errors that comes with the motor.
Torqeedo can be contacted directly and respond pretty quickly:
Torqeedo Inc.
171 Erick Street, Unit A - 1
Crystal Lake, IL 60014
USA
T +1 815 444 8806
F +1 815 444 8807
[email protected]

The specs say that everything is water tight...
But this old school engineer still puts the battery in a plastic container with holes for the cables and it sits behind the rear seat.
I also rinse off everything after each sail - don't want salt water near electronics.
Good luck - it really is a good motor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought the motor through Kayak Shed out of Oregon. They were really helpful and wanted to do whatever to make me happy. They are sending a new unit and I will return the defective until.

I was very careful (since this is an expensive unit) in all aspects of running the motor. To pull the motor out of the well I would simply lift the motor slightly, then reach down and straighten out the prop, and then remove the motor. Not an issue at all. I really don't want to carry around that aluminum bar they give you.

I am guessing it was just a defective unit and I am sure the next unit will be fine.

Again, the guys at KayakShed were awesome and I wouldn't hesitate to buy something (I am sure I will) from them again.