Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outfitter or Oasys?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi I need help choosing the kayak for me and my son, we try both the Outfitter and the oasys but like both I will like to get some input on what will be best for is
He is 12 years old and about 90#
I am about 180#
We are going to be using in the Gulf of Mexico in the tampabay area
We are going to be using it mostly for fishing
Any input will be appreciated
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Outfitter or Oasys?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oasis...

I have owned both and, having sold on my Outfitter and replaced it with an Oasis, I am delighted with mine.

It is much the better boat: stable, dry, fast, roomy, versatile and can be single handed from the front cockpit or the rear cockpit if you add ballast in the front.

Given that you are clearly in the market for a double I do not think you will be disappointed with the Oasis.

Hope this is not too biased :D

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stobbo posted the following re the Oasis: "

It is much the better boat: stable, dry, fast, roomy, versatile and can be single handed from the front cockpit or the rear cockpit if you add ballast in the front.

Given that you are clearly in the market for a double I do not think you will be disappointed with the Oasis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get a set of Hobbie AMAs, and you will have a great system for fun, fishing and exploring.

The new Oasis is an excellent kayak.

Your son can grow and grow and not overweigh the Oasis. The hardest part of an Oasis is getting it in and out of the water on to your vehicle or trailer. Your 12 year old son can handle his half now and get better with age.

Post subject: Outfitter or Oasys?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just went through this. I got an outfitter just because of the length and the fact that i am no where near the ocean or open water.

That being said looks like the oasis is a better boat for you. Just add some gear attachments for rod holders and have fun.

Also love tampa just did six months there went to ft Desoto almost every weekend great birding!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Get the Oasis. Your son is still growing and, I believe, this is one of those times where bigger is better. I own an Oasis and love it. It is a very versatile boat that I use about half time solo and half with someone. I also have the sail kit. Granted, I come from a sailing background, but get the sail as well. Like I said, the boat is very versatile, and the sail adds another aspect most kayaks don't have.

If there is one drawback, the Oasis is heavy. Loading and unloading can be quite uncomfortable. That is, until you come up with a good routine. I have, using a Yakima Boatloader that allows me to load and unload my boat...solo style!

Boat on top of my truck
Yakima Boatloader

To unload
Step 1: unstrap boat and pull out Boatloader
Step 2: right (turn over) the boat
Step 3: slide the bow over on top of the Boatloader and attach and run a 36" bunge over the bow aft the front hatch.
Step 4: remove the boat stern from the truck and place it on the ground. Attach dolly.
Step 5: remove the bunge and remove the bow from the Boatloader and place it on the ground.
Step 6: push in Boatloader

Good Luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy either boat.

Longbikermike
sent by iPad using TapaTalk