Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I keep finding the "social boat" writeup on the Getaway, mentioning the blue mesh coolers or storage compartments built into each hull. But I cannot find a drawing or even a photo of these coolers.

Does anyone know where I can find a photo of this section of the Getaway hull? I mean, will this cooler handle a six pack of beer? A block of ice? a first aid kit? Is it waterproof? Useful?

Thanks

Post subject: Getaway coolers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The coolers are compartments actually molded into the hull. They are not mesh. They have gasketed lids on them kind of like waterproof kayak compartments. I don't recall the dimensions...roughly 12"x12" but they easily have room for a six pack or two in each along with ice to keep them cool. Of course, there is one in each hull. They have a built in drain that allows water to drain directly out of the hulls under the main trampoline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think the "blue mesh coolers" you are referring to is the small mesh tramp pocket located near the mast on the main tramp. It is a heat welded pocket that can store a few small things. I can fit my water bucket in it.

The coolers are built into each hull of the getaway with water resistant lid and drain plug. Each cooler can hold approximately 12 cans of beer, or 1 large bag of chips, 2 sodas, and waterproof camera (official nautical means of measurement as listed in 7 CFR 210 appendix b). These coolers are NOT waterproof! In fact, they seem to miraculously fill up with water even on dry land! So don't put any cigars, tuna fish sandwiches, diapers, magazines, or pet gerbils in there without putting them in waterproof bags first.

Post subject: deck hatches
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Although Hobie calls them "coolers" in their parts breakdown they have no insulation and if you like cold beer, ice won't last long. I use freezer packs but still you have to pack carefully. Of course I sail in the tropics. I would love to see hobie insulate the outsides of the boxes before putting them in the hulls. I found a small soft cooler that will fit inside the hatch. They are not great for storage unless your storing bait fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The major problem with putting beer in my one side cooler is it can explode. Best I can figure is that my one cooler lid doesn't seal as tight (due to my own fault when I got a shroud caught under it stepping the mast and bend the plastic lock) as the other and some spray must be getting forced into the cooler, along with some agitation to melt the ice. The super frozen beer bursts.

(If you didn't know when salt melts ice it soaks up a lot of thermal energy even when remaining at 32 degrees.)

Anyway a cooler full of burst beer cans and bottles is not tasty. Just to note this only happens on days when 2 people out on the trap isn't enough to keep the sail hauled in on a reach.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The "blue mesh pocket"? Isn't that halyard storage? That's what I use if for.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's what I use it for as well. To store the main halyard.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wonder how difficult it would be to remove the coolers, you guys are right, the coolers are not insulated and don't keep things cool for long. Insulating them would be easy if taking them out is not too difficult. I use them quite a lot for both coolers and storage. I wonder if I could add additional "coolers".

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Cooler/storage bins are molded as part of the hull. The hatch is screwed on but the bin is one and the same with the hull. Only way to remove would be to cut them out. Then you would have to replace with some kind of aftermarket drop in bin and hatch.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I see, that,s why they are not insulated then, there's no way to get to do it. I noticed today that even the lid isn't insulated, I guess you could insulate them by gluing some camp mat foam to the inside. Insulating the lit would be easy and may actually help.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Han,

I've been looking for soft coolers that will just fit in the storage compartments. Can you tell me where you got yours?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an 01 getaway and am looking to replace to storage hatch system in each hull. Does anyone know if there is a replacement for this part and will it fit the 01 model?

1969 Glastron Alpha
2001 Hobie Getaway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys,

I hope this post finds you well. I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out with my Hobie Getaway lids.

I have a 2001 older getaway with the original cooler hatches. Unfortunately one is missing. I am hoping you can advise if I can still order a replacement round hatch lid and if so how much is it?

If not, I understand Hobie updated this original design to a simpler rectangular "cooler lid" part that opens up and seals better. Can I replace the current model (round lid with soft drink holder) to the rectangle covers without much cutting / drilling etc.? If so, how much are the hatches?

Thanks so much!

Peter