Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Now I know the soft spot question must get really old, sorry to bring it up again. But I've now gone through 32 oz. of git rot and am quickly realizing how expensive this is going to get. I have a soft spot in the obvious place, Right in front of where the tramp attaches at the front of the boat and I don't really feel safe anymore with all the horror stories I continue to here. I sail with my younger sister whose 13 and me being 16 I think we would be in trouble if the hull folded on us. The area has gotten pretty big, it was a about 3&1/2- 4 feet in length. It's now down to two feet. My question is...Has anybody tried TotalBoat epoxy? It seems like a knock-off of git-rot at a cheaper price.

Also although this is my first time posting, this has been a terrific resource. Thanks to all you guys.
Ethan

Here's the link to the product... http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... Epoxy+Kits

Last edited by swallowandamazon on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:40 am 
Site Admin

First... if that much material is being used, you are likely expanding the delamination or leaking inside.

It makes sense to me to do some small spots like connecting pillars to keep the area held together first... then inject more. Keep the injection pressure low and allow the material to flow outwards.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks MM for your reply. I came to the same conclusion as you after my first try. That I didn't space it out enough and a bunch of the git rot had probably leaked through. The second time I was a lot more strategic and it filled probably three times as much of the area as the first time. The injection rate I haven't really messed around with as much, next time I'll definitely be more aware. After checking on it today, I'd say 2 feet might have been a bit of an exaggeration as to what I have left, It's probably closer to 12 in. Have you tried/heard about the TotalBoat product? I'm inclined to give it a shot but figured I'd see if anybody had any input on it.
Thanks Again

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:36 am 
Site Admin

I'm not familiar with it. Depends on viscosity (for penetration), cure time and cure hardness. Should not get brittle.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I called Jamestown today, they said the penetrating epoxy was much thinner than git rot and didn't work as well from a bonding perspective. So that's a no go. On another note, TotalBoat also as a 5/1 epoxy resin/hardener/pumps kit that is well reviewed and cheap. So anybody considering going the West Systems route should take a look at TotalBoat, as it seems to be the same product except for being a lot less expensive. What I'm saying maybe redundant...just want to make sure nobody goes out and buys the penetrating epoxy after seeing my post.
Thanks,
Ethan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've used it with GREAT success ( TOTAL BOAT EPOXY KIT ). Order the kit. I buy the gallon kit - leftovers for future fixes. It pre measures everything perfect, one pump of epoxy, one pump of resin = 5:1 ratio - i use the slow cure so it seeps into all the nooks and crannies. DON'T over force the epoxy in........... it will swell up the soft spot like injecting a thanksgiving turkey with cajun butter! Ease it in until it gently oozes out of the next hole ( i do a pattern about a 4" grid ) tape up the holes tight with pre cut pieces of 4" long tape ( maybe 50 ) TAKE YOUR TIME.
Within two days your decks will be hard as a rock but the holes you drilled will have counter sunk with epoxy about 1/16" or so. Putty those up with your fav filler( bondo, marine-tex ect ect ) then sand down level after the following day. Cosmetics are up to you!

The kit is here.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... Epoxy+Kits

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fxloop, I pulled the trigger and ordered the epoxy kit. I had ordered it before your post and ordered a quart not a gallon, hopefully that's not a big deal. I have two questions though...What do you use to inject the epoxy? and do you use a filler?
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

To inject I went to dollar store and bought some ketchup/mustard squeezy bottles. You'll need latex gloves too - messy. I used no filler. You may have to bend a piece of sturdy wire to wallow out the holes to clear out loose foam between the glass layers.

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have some west system 403 laying around and it's application is very similar to the job I'm doing. Do you think I should mix some of it in?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yet another Hobie 16 hurt by crew using hull as a step to get on or off the boat. My crew gets yelled at if even close to the center of the hulls.
With enough work and money the hulls should be fixed and almost as good as new
Tip of the day put the epoxy in the refrigerator for a hour before work this really allows the stuff to slowly cure

Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't thicken the epoxy. You want it thin so it can flow out into the de-laminated areas well.
This is why GitRot is recommended. Its super thin and cures somewhat flexible.