Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am a Getaway owner and keep my boat on the beach in NJ for the summer. I have never seen an Mirage tandem island up close but I am thinking about trying one out in the back bay. My question is how well does an tandem island do in the open ocean? Swells can be from 2ft to 6 ft at times depending on the winds and other factors. All responses are appreciated. Dom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Domsilla:
If you look at the tandem island you will see the CE plaque mounted on the hull. The stock TI only has a CE "D" rating, not really certified for offshore. This doesn't mean people don't take their TI's off shore. Before taking a TI offshore I would highly recommend some hardening be done to the boat to at least minimalize the chances of failure, and obviously all the CG required safety equipment. There are quite a few posts about what needs to be done, and quite a few experienced Aussies and guys from the Hawaiian islands that are experts and will hopefully chime in here.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Bob. Excited about what others may come up with. Also, finding any Mirage used for sale seems to be a needle in a haystack. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't see many for sale either. You can search craigslist expanding your search if you come up empty.

I just picked up my TI this year and I love it, it is an absolute blast to pilot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dom:
Unfortunately the ti is probably the most popular boat on the market today, another problem is most people that buy them just love them and have no intention of selling them. Now add the fact that the resale value on pretty much any mirage kayak is thru the roof ( better resale value than anything I have seen anyway).
So the resale market is pretty dismal, and when they do come up for sale they go quickly if in good shape.
Now the bad news, you are coming at this as a hobiecat sailer (the majority of ti buyers are either former power boaters or kayakers (a different crowd).
Tis are great for us expedition (water tribe) types, but doesn't hold a candle sailing wise to the getaway or the h16.
I advise you test ride one to make sure this is indeed what you want. You can count on a ti to go about .6 to wind speed in low winds , the pedal drives are a dream in low winds. The ti does come alive though in winds over 10-12 mph and is actually pretty decent. It's also capable in much higher winds because of the pedal drives and the ability to furl the sail. Capsize risk is very low and many of us have been out in some pretty rough stuff. But because it's so low in the water it's a pretty wet ride.
If you search YouTube for tandem island, you will see all the different uses for this SUV of boats.
Hope this helps you
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The AI and TI are great ocean sailing kayaks. I've been out in up to 9' swells, fun! And in 8' wind waves, not expected nor as fun, but doable.

Here's a series of videos of Kelly, MY Hobie dealer, sailing a TI between Maui (where I live) and The Big Island of Hawaii (where he lives). He's done this round-trip twice, first in an AI and then a couple of years later in a TI - solo:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK640oFGwGg[/youtube]

My video page is here: http://www.kayakingbob.com/sailing-videos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have done a 31 Nm trip which took 7.5 hours from coast to coast across St Vincent gulf in Australia in a TI. Sailing off shore is certainly not what the TI is rated for, as stated by Bob but it is doable.

Proably as much to do with seamanship as to do with the TI. I wont tell you how many pages we had in
our risk management plan but a look at the safety gear we took below will give you some idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for posting that picture Brian, apart from only needing gear for one, my supply pretty well matches that lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes Brian, nice collection of equipment! We do need to be prepared for most anything when we're out in the open ocean.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great info from all. Thank you very much for your posts. Dom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KB:
Great videos but I have a silly question.... Most of the sailing looked down wind, how the heck did you guys get back home....
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
KB:
Great videos but I have a silly question.... Most of the sailing looked down wind, how the heck did you guys get back home....
Bob

Other than the first video of us sailing with Kelly toward the south-east of Maui, it was a close reach or a beam reach for all the rest of it for him until he reached The Big Island of Hawaii. Most days when we sail to Molokini (like that day) it's beating all the way back, but only 6-7 miles as the crow flies, so 18-25 miles round trip. Of course our boats (AI's & TI's) are the best for sailing Maui as maybe a third of the time the wind dies before we return. I tell newbies, only sail as far as you are willing to pedal back. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great kit changeman. I particularly like the sea anchor, which I don't have.

Hey, is that duct tape? :lol: If so, great for leaks, lashing and first aid. If you shave some magnesium firestarter flakes onto the sticky side, it makes a terrific slow burning firestarter or torch. (You won't have to waste those yummy Fritos to make a signal fire).

I also carry a small tube of JBWeld in my repair kit. Can be used to seal holes (even when wet) or rebuild aluminum parts and such.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have been out for a day sail and stopped for lunch with a kite up and the sea anchor which made for a comfortable ride Nohuhu. Will chase some JBWeld but not so sure about the magnesium fire starters :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

domsilla wrote:
Thanks Bob. Excited about what others may come up with. Also, finding any Mirage used for sale seems to be a needle in a haystack. Thoughts?

domsilla : I know of several AI's and a TI for sale here in San Diego. Its a long way from you so its probably not very helpful, however if there is some scarcity and you want to buy soon then you may have to widen your search . Based on recent forum discussions there could well be an influx of used AI's and TI's come on to the market at the end of the year and early 2015 as current owners upgrade - it may be worth your while waiting a little bit. Locally, there are 2 AI owners wanting to upgrade to TI's, one AI owner upgrading to the 2015 AI and 1 TI owner wanting to downgrade to an AI that I know of. Contact me if you want to reach out to any of them and I'll put you in touch.