Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RE: Install of Sail Furler Kit on Revo 11

Bottom Line: Hobie needs install directions for each type of kayak IMHO. These one size fits all instructions are bravo sierra.

I ran into a couple of "challenges" with the install of Fuler Kit. I sorry to report that for the first time I am disappointed in a Hobie product. I did read Sail Furler Installation Notes posted on this forum before beginning thinking I would learn from other forum members' experiences first.

The install of the fairlead and eye post were completed with ease in accordance with the instructions!

The height of the furler assembly ended up just above the closed front hatch. This puts the furler assembly on a plane above the fairlead. Mounting lower interfered with closed front hatch cover. Seems less than ideal but unavoidable.

First Issue: When measuring for pad eye at rear of hull, I marked for drill holes and then decided to check to see if I could reach from rear or seat access hatch. I could NOT reach from either hatch. Considered using pad eye in rear cargo area. This looks like it could work.................but bungee is too long and attachment does not provide tension needed. Anyway to shorten bungee?? Or maybe a rivet fastener could be used to avoid to need to reach from inside hull?? What type of rivet would work best???

Second Issue: I may be missing something with this............the location of the bungee intended to tension furler lines does not make sense to me. It seems to be on the wrong side of the plastic nobs and knots. No matter how I install line, the bungee location seems to require plastic knobs on the downstream side of knots. This seems backwards to me. When I reverse then the bungee seems to be in the wrong position for tensioning the lines as there is always a plastic knob in the wrong place. No way to pass bungee over plastic knobs to properly position. Manufacturing mistake?? Or am I missing something??

Wish I could figure out how to post photos to make this easier to share my struggles.

Thanks in advance for any insight and wisdom you may be able to offer.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hear you. I also had these issues with the furler install and my revo 11.
For issue 1, I put the pad eye maybe a foot rear of the back of the seat. I used self tapping stainless steel screws because I couldn't reach behind the mounting location from the rear hatch to do a nut&bolt job. I just thought I had short arms lol. The bungie can be shortened, but requires a bit of fiddling with the hook end.

For issue 2, I ended up untying the furler line and redoing the knots with the knobs now in the correct orientation. I also swapped out the line for something a bit thicker, as I noticed that the line was too slick and had a tendancy to slip in the furler.

I also have difficulty with smooth furling since my furler sits atop the hatch and being out of plane with the rest of the rigging lessens the effectiveness of the furler and sometimes makes the furling line slip out of the furler. I wish it was slightly smaller diameter so it could fit below or in line with the hatch. Maybe they will revise the kit slightly or reshape the mold for future kayak hulls to allow an extra inch of clearance for a clean furler installation like the adventure island has.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry for the hassles. I'm passing along to engineers for instruction review.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt, I'm always happy to see you participate in these threads. Sometimes a minor update can make a world of difference in the design of add-on parts like this.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:11 am 
Site Admin

Engineers report that the ball vs knot issue was resolved previously. Bungee length for the 11 can be shortened, they will make some comments in instructions. We are trying to keep the kit as universal as possible. Makes production, dealer stocking and availability to consumers so much easier.

Ease of furling will be a perception issue. Furling with the best systems can be difficult in certain conditions. More load on the sail... harder to furl. The standard mast mount not having bearings will cause friction... the drum up higher will cause some additional friction as well.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt:

Thank You for responding.

I did managed to adapt hardware provided in furling kit to my Revo 11. Instead of a pad eye as suggested in the instructions, I hooked to bungee tensioner to eye provided at front right side of rear cargo. Seems to work acceptably. This install arrangement does pull the furling lines slightly inboard of rail. I ended up untying knots in line provided to get the black plastic knobs positioned correctly.

The slightly raised pulley mount( mounted just above front hatch) seems to work fine as well. I did mount the front fairlead slightly forward of the 5" recommended and at a slight angle as recommended by Roadrunner( Sail Furler Installation Notes: Post Subject). With this arrangement my pedals set on "6" do not strike furling lines.

Tested the installation yesterday beginning with 5 to 10 knot breeze which grew into a strong on-shore afternoon wind typical on west coast of Florida. I particularly liked the performance of the sail furler with sail partially reefed. The furler held the sail in fixed position. With my previous home made furler, I had to hold onto the furler line to keep the partially reefed sail from tending to pull open with wind pressure.

Also noted that the with the furler kit installed the mast does not rock in the mast receiver like it did with my home made furler. You may think this is a crazy but I believe I feel the wind better as it acts on the boat with the Hobie furler.

Lastly, my initial post was a bit of a rant. Bad day maybe.......but I think setting expectations it what this comes down to. Let me explain.....I am a Mechanical Engineer when I am making a living. I'd rather be in my Revo 11 looking for manatee, snook, dolphin etc. .......so I am perhaps a bit too literal when following installation instructions. Suggest the following:
1. Add/modify installation language to make it clear that furler kit is universal and my require some adaptation to work with a specific Hobie models.
2. For pad eye at rear, caution that installer should confirm they can reach this location via seat or rear access hatch before drilling. Or maybe provide alternate hardware( rivets?) for smaller boats like Revo 11.
3. In my furling kit the bungee was connected to a ring through which the furling line passed. Suggest making this ring large enough diameter to pass over plastic knobs to allow for proper positioning of bungee tensioner. Or maybe change to a split ring or carabiner?

Lastly, I have owned many kayaks before purchasing my Revo 11, I'll never buy a kayak from anyone other than Hobie.

Gator Jim :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:33 am 
Site Admin

Gatorjim wrote:
I'll never buy a kayak from anyone other than Hobie.

Gator Jim :mrgreen:

Thanks so much Jim. I'll pass along the information to our engineer on that project and make the updates. Sorry for the hassles, but we do appreciate the honest feedback. Makes for a better product for all concerned! The internet is indeed a wonderful thing (can be / should be / is here!)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Question to anyone out there........does the hobie sail roller furler system lock, meaning that it will allow you to sail with a 1/2 sail? Or is a locking mechanism needed in addition to the the kit?
Thanks, John

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Jonaok,
It doesn't but there is enough friction with the system in place that it holds in place well in most cases. I often partially furl the sail in rough weather and have never had a problem with it unfurling due to the wind alone. I really don't think it needs a locking system as it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Roger, I'll give it a try!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Installed the Furler today, and as always over thought the instructions. I didn't know what the pad eye was for in the front fire wall and couldn't get the 7" that was required per instructions for it. I called Hobie and as always they were very helpful. I didn't install the pad eye in the rear however as there is no way you can reach it from the inside the seat hatch or rear hatch. I just hooked it to the rear bungee area and it works just fine. I can know increase my fun while fishing on my Hobie….. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone been so kind as to do a Revo 11 install guide for "dummys" yet? I'm about to take the plunge and just so happen to be a "dummy". ;-) I'm my defense I'm damn good at following detailed directions though. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Brody, I "second" your request. A guide would be so helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to all for the tips, I only wish I had started here instead of coming here last.

I have a 2009 Revo and I guess I have long arms. I was able to mount and secure the pad eye just to the front of the built in rod holder. It was quite a contortion to reach in with a 3/8 open end to secure the nuts but I pulled it off. My dilemma is with the plastic balls. I thought I was losing it but the balls face opposite directions. Furling worked fine pulling the one ball and then when trying to unfurl the ball is on the cord backwards. I have to crab the knot in the cord to unfurl. I see that some have untied the cord to correct issues with the balls, but how do you get the knot back together and tight. It appears that the factory melted the cord together. I am afraid to take a lighter or torch to the cord for fear of weakening or winding up with the cord too short.

I guess I can call Hobie and ask them to replace the cord and bungee.