Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kayak Shed out of Oregon is great! They will treat you well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Received my new motor as promised by Kayakshed. I'll go out this weekend and see how it goes. I don't expect to have the same problems.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I also installed my evolve in the front. Now I have collected some negative experience in windier conditions. If I place myself in the rear and run aganist ~1m high waves, the motor interrupts its work (probably because the rotor is shortly in the air). I have to restart the evolve then, it works fine until the next high wave hits the TI...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Henry, I suspect you are simply asking too much of your TI in the conditions. In order to minimise the possibility of the prop coming out of the water in waves of that size, you should instead zigzag through them rather than heading straight into a wave. While this will increase the total distance travelled, your progress would be far less dramatic, and (hopefully) you won't need to restart the motor often.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, Tony, I will try.
On the other hand, the Baltic waves are commonly short and high; less comparable with Florida and many other locations (the Baltic is a relatively flat sea). While sailing under more rough conditions upwind, I feel a little uncomfortable, not to say unsafe with the TI. To cope with 4-5 bft upwind I rather use the evolve instead of sailing. But I will report on results after following your advice.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony:
Every time I have been in larger than 1 to 1 1/2 meter sharp waves I'm in survival mode especially with my tramps mounted on my ti. If I crest a sharp wave and I'm turned sideways to the wave my ti wants to capsize so I have to scurry out on the tramp to keep from going over, especially in higher winds.
So in those conditions I try to keep my bow or stern into the waves, I furl the sail as much as possible, then fire up my motors and try to get home because I know I'm in trouble.
Rollers with some interval I do the same as you.
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have specifically experimented in these conditions. I was sailing, but would have traced exactly the same course if motoring.

While going down or rising up in the wave, I steer at an angle to the wave. This sees better speed while in the trough. As the top of the wave approaches, I steer up into it, which causes a dramatic "punch through" which, if the waves are close together, results in the bow plunging straight into the face of the next wave. This wipes out a lot of speed, so I have to repeat the diagonal process once over that wave. While I don't have a tramp, my course would never expose a tramp to wind pressure from an angle while at the top of wave.

I think progress under motor would be effective and less harrowing than trying to just punch head on into them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony:
I going down to key west next week, I will try your technique while down there offshore.
When I'm in sarasota because there are a lot of big cruisers out there that throw out huge wakes (Sarasota bay is always very rough because of the boat traffic), I was taught on small boats and kayaks to turn straight into the wakes, the TI is so stable that I found if I let the wake hit me from the side or at a slight angle the boat doesn't stop dead in the water.
Bob