Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Hobie Seats?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rumor that this was released today at the Outdoor Retailer Convention, why it was not released at the iCast show is beyond me. Saw this on Facebook this morning, rumors of new seats for all of Hobie's products (the yak pictured is supposedly an Outback):

Post subject: Re: New Hobie Seats?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While I'm sure they'll be comfortable and no doubt will slake the current consumer trend towards these type seats, my fishing buddies that have purchased kayaks with these higher, plush, "lazy boy" seats (industry wide) seem to now spend more time upside down than rightside up. Or course, we're on rivers most often where you do a bit of pitching and rolling due to current and rapids.

While these seats seem to be fine in larger small boat type craft like the Pro-Angler, they seem a bit outsized and high for the more "kayak" oriented craft that still dominate. I do hope they're not going to be installed in the AI and TI, or those boats will lose a great deal of sailing functionality (in my opinion).

No doubt my comment here will be unpopular and that's fine - I don't set the market trends nor have to respond to them. But the trend I see developing, if these type seats are going to dominate, and I think they will, is a move away from kayak type craft and a move towards more traditional small boats. Something will be gained, but something will be lost, too.

And yes, I realize that from a market standpoint Hobie had to do this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Biggest problem I see with that style of seat is the lack of being able to sit with the legs hanging over the side. The moment you do that the seat back will fold against you. I don't need to be higher above the water line, this changes your center and makes you top heavy.

Other idea a upper scupper hole idea where a seat back plugs down into and gives you the firm seat back. The seat back can be made with a adjustment to change it's angle based on personal likes. The seat bottom a padded strap in cushion.

The item I wish hobie would do is improve the current seat. There is no reason we need to purchase a better/more comfortable seat to enjoy the kayak in general. They need to make what they have a bit better. Don't reinvent the wheel all over again.

Other item is locate the scuppers so the cart centers the kayak as a pivot point. This would make the bow or stern of equal weight, basically very little weight to lift while moving. Think teeter toter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

More details:
http://www.kayakfishmag.com/news/vantage-ct/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I love it, but I don't want it on all their models. The Revo11 is tippy enough without raising the CG, but the Outback will benefit greatly from it. The draining scupper is also a long time wishlist item that we will all be happy for.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I figured they were working on such seating for the full line, but had hoped that they could incorporate something that would give owners a choice of using either the old seat or the newer one, by leaving the hull itself alone. I do, of course, realize that's a tall order and only by changing the hulls could they easily accommodate the new trend in "kayak" seating.

It doesn't really affect me at the present time as I'm pretty well situated with boats and by the time I need another there's a good chance the seating style will have come full circle, again.

In the meantime, I think changing market demands required it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wonder if they changed the bow on the outback with this hull design? I would have preferred they silence the hull slap before they include the lawn chair, but for sure I am the minority voice on that issue.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just bought a 2014... I would really like the "Speed Drain" feature... And it looks like it would be difficult to retro fit the seat if you wanted it.... I know this is an endless issue in retail... You don't want customers to stop buying the current model so you keep the design changes secret until release of the new model but these are pretty expensive kayaks and this looks like a fairly large design change for a lot of the models.... I understand Hobie does not have much a choice here but this is pretty disappointing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

With regards to a raised COG; it is possible that the new hulls have been redesigned to have the new seats sufficiently recessed to mitigate this issue and, potentially, result in a zero net change in COG. From the photos I have seen, it is difficult to confirm/deny this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Im wondering if these seats will be on AIs & TIs, and the pros and cons. Looking to sell my Oasis, Outback, and some others, and step up to a TI... but would sure like to know if this will be a 2015 option for TI or not so I can consider to wait... or not.

It was before I saw this I submitted a new topic on the same + the upgrade to the drives.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They may keep your butt out of a pool of water, but overall I believe they will be detrimental to the AI and TI.

To be fair, I haven't sat in one nor have any idea of the geometry involved. I may be wrong, but I figure my AI and TI just went up in value - to me anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

@Tom Kirkman, as a non-AI/TI owner, I am curious as to the negative effect a higher seat has on the AI and TI while sailing, when the AI/TI has a 10' beam with the amas deployed. Or are you referring to the "Adventure Mode" here? I plan on getting a TI in the next few years so I am very interested in your experienced opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sailboats heel. Even trimarans. You need to be able to move, albeit slightly in the Islands, to remain level under the heeling boat. As they are currently, you can shift your butt and remain level as the boat heels to leeward. With a more traditional "seat" you won't be able to do that as easily, not to mention your head may now be up into the sail every time you tack or jibe (although the AI is already this way to some extent and this isn't at all unusual for most sailboats).

Even in pure kayak mode I wouldn't like it for the same reason that no sea kayak owner would want such a seat. Are we "kayaking" or "boating?" That's up to you to determine for yourself.

So, it's not for me, although I suspect many other current AI and TI owners will think it's the cat's meow. We don't all sail the same way and we all prefer different things in our boats. Ten more years and I may prefer the new style seat in my TI. For now, I don't.

And please remember, I haven't actually seen the seat, sat in it nor seen any possible new geometry into which the seat fits. We're all just speculating for the time being!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for your input and thanks for all your previous posts (and YouTube videos). Personally, I have benefited from many of them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt (or anyone else at Hobie) I know you can't tell us the details yet but could you at least hint at when the official announcements and details will come out?