Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi folks,

I've mainly be hanging out in the sailing forums but I thought you fellow kayakers might enjoy this story as I have to say that in my 18 years of sea kayaking, this is a first.....

Yesterday, I'm out kayaking and stop into a beach to rest, eat lunch and have a swim. While I'm swimming I see a couple going by in a pair of sit-on-top kayaks. Something caught my eye as being funny on the girls kayak. At first I thought her feet were just sticking up near the bow but that would have given her insanely long legs. Then, what I thought were maybe feet started twisting and pointing from side to side. No feet should move like that!! It almost looked like something alive.

So I swim out to get closer, trying not to appear too obvious about my curiosity. Sure enough, there was a fairly large lizard of some kind riding happily along on the front of her boat. Her unnaturally twisting toes were actually this creatures head looking side to side.

My first thought was, "What a day to not take a camera." Then I found myself wondering if it could swim. Then, when it turned it's pokey eyes to stare at me, I mainly wondered if it could swim faster than I could.

They waved & said "hi" and I said "hi" as if I see lizards on boats every day and then I swam back to shore. It became a very surreal experience, I have to say.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

haha, very odd indeed.
Down here in Florida the iguanas swim very well indeed, but I don't know anyone who would keep one as a pet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is a humorous story. My guess is it was a pet iguana.

Jcanracer, I have lived in Florida since 1961 and it was not uncommon for people to have iguanas as pets. They were exotic pets you could get at any pet shop and have proliferated like wildfire here mainly due to people letting them go and not wanting to kill their pets. They have no natural enemies here. Now a days if you want an iguana for a pet just go out and catch one if you can.

I see new hatchlings weekly in my back yard barely even 5" long. The deep freezes we had that killed off the peacock bass in my area also killed off the iguanas. We had a dinosaur on our lake 6 feet long and orange. He was an attraction for company. They are making a comeback though. Till the next deep freeze anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

made me laugh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your story reminded me of something that happened to me several years ago. I was at a high Sierra lake unloading my Hobie Pro Angler when I heard someone in a small aluminum boat that was trolling nearby say "Hey guys! Would ya look at that?!" I looked over to see who he was talking to and he was addressing a large black Lab and a large black Rooster on his boat while he was pointing at the water. The Rooster was perched on the bow of his boat like a hood ornament. I thought to myself that this guy is a few sandwhiches short of a picnic to be talking to a dog and chicken on a boat. I hurried up and got on the water so I could shadow him to try and get a picture but could never get close enough. I did see the fellow stop by the shore for a few minutes and when I caught up to the spot where he had stopped I saw that he had let the Rooster out for a break and I was able to get a picture then.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Actually, a number of boaters now take roosters on their boats. These roosters are trained-up to know international ship horn signals. Two long crows followed by two short crows is a "salute" or a "hi" in maritime speak.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thomas wrote:
Actually, a number of boaters now take roosters on their boats. These roosters are trained-up to know international ship horn signals. Two long crows followed by two short crows is a "salute" or a "hi" in maritime speak.

This boater must have missed the memo on training his Rooster on ship horn signal speak, never heard the Rooster crow the time I was on the water (and you know how sounds travel when on the water). :D I did hear the boater say something to the effect that if he didn't catch any fish that day then chicken nuggets were going to be on the menu