Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carrying Gear on a Wave
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can you safely carry a kayak (50lb) on a Wave?

Can you safely tow a kayak or 2 behind the Wave with a couple guys on the Wave?

SoCal coastal waters.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is a silly question.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A couple of thoughts from our experiments in testing the feasibility of towing a kayak for supply purposes.

- The size and hull shape of the kayak plays a big part in how it will flow behind your boat. My long, 19' Seaward Quest with high secondary stability when loaded, tracked straighter and handled the waves better.

The low rocker boat (not quiet a fishing kayak but close) was more determined to zig-zag, especially when empty. It was better loaded with some weight. It also seemed more stable in flat water (more primary stability) bit flipped over in moderate waves without a person in it to balance/brace it.

Without a human in them, both boats flipped when they got turned sideways in the surf coming in.

- If there will be even a moderate danger of it flipping, ensure it has sealed sections for buoyancy. We experimented with a a third, cheap, river kayak that had no bulkheads just for fun, even though we knew it was a bad idea. We purposefully flipped it and it didn't completely sink as a slight air pocket managed to stick in the bow. Either way, as it filled, it acted like someone slammed on the brakes. Not pleasant and we cut the tow line before going back for it.

If you must use a 'hollow' kayak. At least fill it to the max with with flotation bags.

In the end, my buddies and I opted to leave the Wave home for the long weekend excursion and just paddle over to Boughten Island. Although my wife and I do pile it up for day trips to the beach on the Island just on the other side of our bay.

The experiment made me realize just how perfect the Adventure and Tandem Island designs are for nautical camping. I WANT ONE!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

jonaskinny, good to meet a fellow SoCal Wave sailor. Where do you use your boat?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could strap the kayak under the crossbars, making the Wave into a trimaran, and load your gear into it. You might even put two under there, or you could attach them as out-riggers.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm picturing a kayak strapped under a wave loosening a bit and then being at a funny angle that is detrimental to sailing. Kind of like a 14+ foot long, crooked centerboard. Good idea if you were confident in how well it could be strapped under there. Sounds like a recipe for disaster if it gets loose. Not sure really. Just thinking out loud.