Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On my other fishing forum somebody posted this spyshot of a new Ocean Kayak big game model with a mesh/frame seat:

I think that^ is more along the lines of what Dregsfan meant?

I would love to have more back support in my Revo, but not at the cost of a raised center of gravity... maybe in the Outback model though.
Perhaps a revised Outback with mesh/frame seat would cannibalize sales from the PA12, but I think it would be worth Hobie's investment since the Pro Angler is not for everyone (myself included).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok I'll give a sneak preview of last night's Jackson seat addition.
I normally have very little issues w stability, been using narrow homebuilt cajun pirogues since a young age. YMMV !
And certainly wouldn't take this offshore or rough waters, but should be excellent for a day of flatwater fishing.

I'll try it soon and report back. Like others recognize, it wouldn't be hard for Hobie to design some frame side rails with mesh seat, for a suspended drop-in package similar to PA and other competitors. And I agree it wouldn't need infinite adjustability just something reasonable. Build something similar, and have it drop lower into the seatwell area.

I tried a Skwoosh Big Catch seat last week but it found it had much less back support than my current Gone Fishin

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nicely done.

My background is whitewater and sea kayaks, so stability is not a big deal. But most folks need some width. Heck, I know one guy who uses huge rotomolded outriggers with his PA.

mnormand wrote:
I normally have very little issues w stability, been using narrow homebuilt cajun pirogues since a young age. YMMV !
And certainly wouldn't take this offshore or rough waters, but should be excellent for a day of flatwater fishing.

I'll try it soon and report back. Like others recognize, it wouldn't be hard for Hobie to design some frame side rails with mesh seat, for a suspended drop-in package similar to PA and other competitors. And I agree it wouldn't need infinite adjustability just something reasonable. Build something similar, and have it drop lower into the seatwell area.

I tried a Skwoosh Big Catch seat last week but it found it had much less back support than my current Gone Fishin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a short vid w Jackson seat test..

Worked pretty well, prob not for those balance challenged, lol. Has to be mounted a bit rearward, had to make sure the rudder lines weren't almost submerged.

Gonna think more about keeping seat, not quite in the zone w this.

http://youtu.be/fJFk_3Xt7FU

2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Other issues aside, how comfortable is the Jackson seat, especially for pedaling?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I liked it well enough. Compared to my Native Ult12 seat I took apart and mounted on homemade rails, they both showed the same issue...there is a real or perceived feeling that you're sitting on less of your rear end since underside of thighs are raised for peddling. When relaxed with legs down, and not peddling, both seat were major comfy. Most know how aging males lose rear padding as it moves to belly, you know what I'm talking about. :lol:

Not sure if you can see it on the Jackson vid, but I had a backrest cannibalized from one of those cheap mesh lumbar pad thingys like they made for cars way back when. That made for air circulation behind my back, similar to the mesh PA or Native seat.

Another issue was I had to mount the J seat a bit rearward, which put its rear frame over and just behind the Revo's upright divider between the seat and rear storage bay. That high point was slightly hitting my tailbone if I sat straight up, but if I scooted just a slight bit forward, no problem. I was thinking if I beefed up the backrest to push me forward just a bit, all would be just fine. I'll probably take the seat on an all day fishing trip soon to really test thoroughly. I did that with the Native seat, but tired after 4 hours, so I changed it out with the Hobie seat I stashed in the hatch for the ride back to truck.

I'm 6ft, and pedals were set at #2 to get almost full extension while barefooted, I usually have some ankle flex too, and I don't drive the pedals hard, just normal cadence.

And though I'm normally not skittish with balance, I fish with a hard cooler behind me. If I load that with fish, that certainly will add to balance issues, not to mention more rear load pushing end of boat down.

2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Another seat idea using a Browning Turkey hunting chair, I am in the process of trying this one. This chair is a Browning Woodland and costs $39.99 on Amazon. The height has to be modified a bit but the attached link shows how to easily do that. All the credit goes to Kayakdannj from Stripers Online.

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/913113/ ... k-seat-diy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We built seats based on recumbent bicycle seats. Now no more back pain and seats are cooler in the summer.
I don't think they raise the centre of gravity, might even lower it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'd love a seat for my revos and sport similar to Wilderness Systems Phase 3 or the new phase 3 air pro seat. Very comfy seats and the plastic bottom kept my bum dry.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dregsfan wrote:
Looks like other manufacturers are coming up with some nice seating solutions, re: OT Predator 13. When can we expect something like a Vantage seat for the Outback, Revos, etc? This would require a major mold update, but would be nice for buyers who don't have $3,000 to spend on a PA.

Freedom Hawk has a good raised seat that is comfortable, and I move it from my Freedom Hawk 12 to the Pathfinder using Zip ties to secure it. The Freedom Hawk 12 gathers water like a bath tub, and the raised seat makes it comfortable. The Pathfinder is drier but still gets water in it when I launch it. When launching the Freedom Hawks, I like to stand up with one leg in the yaks and the other on the ramp, shore or near bottom of the lake/river and shove off. This brings water into the yaks.

You can buy the Freedom Hawk Elite Angler seat as an accessory by itself. After 3 years, it looks good and still works. If any water gets on the seat, it and air just flow through and onto the yak's deck. The seat doesn't adjust. It does fold down for transporting the yak in the back of my pickup. If I remember or it is dirty, I just hose it off in the yak. No other care is required.

I have zero insight to possible stability problems in a Hobie with this seat. It doesn't raise you that high. Just enough to get your butt off the deck out of the water into a comfort zone.

Re uncomfortable butts in a Hobie, we installed the inflatable seat in my wife's seat for our Oasis. She is more comfortable during a trip and afterwards.

http://freedomhawkkayaks.com/images/pro ... BOMzYu.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote="fusioneng"]Gas Yakker:

Here is the mattress pad we bought at Leslies pool supply ( http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Floats- ... 76918.html ). If you don't already have an old one it might be a little pricy to sacrifice for just a yak seat, but I'm sure there are other types of foam and pads that will work just as well. (ie... neighbors pool, local resorts, etc... just don't get caught)

Save some money and go by the cheap .. pool mattress pads cost a bundle:

Get a 1" or more waterproof closed cell foam block. Trace out the shape of your seat pad and put it in the mesh bag. A chum bag from your local bait shop or a lobster bag from local dive shop. I personally got a 1-1/4" pad and slit some groves in the bottom for drainage and put it under my Skwoosh seat pad. It covers the peg holes but I don't use them anyway. I found the added height was better for pedaling for me (less encumbant). I do not have it in a mesh bag and the pad does not slip out from under my seat pad nor does it slip in the seat well. It acts like memory foam for the butt. It is keeping me out of the perpetual puddle and I can keep the scuppers open to drain. I am going to attempt the expanding foam idea I have seen online to fill the low spot below the scupper openings.

I am testing another self draining scupper concept but the pad is working in the meantime..

waterproof closed cell foam pads at ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-x-18-x-1-1-4 ... 1190873524

Revo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you order directly from their website it's $4.00 cheaper for the 1-1/4" 18x18 pad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The original Wilderness Systems Phase 3 seats probably offered the best of all worlds - they were low like most kayak seats, but offered adjustable support for the underside of the thighs behind the knees, and had a height adjustable backrest.

The newer styles coming out these days with aluminum frames are certainly nice seats, but they come up against certain limitations when you start putting them in "kayaks." The first boats they were used in, like the PA and the Mariner, were more "boat" than kayak. I see some makers adapting that style to regular kayaks now (I have a Jackson Coosa) but I can't see them in boats like the Hobie Islands. They limit movement too much.

But who knows, I'm sure Hobie is always looking at the next new idea.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mnormand wrote:

How did you attach the seat to the kayak? I just bought one to fit in my Outback.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Xi Bowhunter wrote:
mnormand wrote:

How did you attach the seat to the kayak? I just bought one to fit in my Outback.

You can see the little blue bungies in front on each side, tied on and hooked on nearby. Not sure if I kept any other pics, just get creative.

2009 Native Ultimate 12