Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H20 Crewing Questions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Questions about crewing on the H20.

Should the downhaul be lose or tight upwind in light air?

Where should the jib traveler cars be in light air? I set the cars forward. That tightens the luff and prevents the jib from spilling air? In heavy air I set the cars back. That loosens the luff and allows the jib to spill air? When I think back to the happy simple days of crewing on a H16 this seems counterintuitive with regards to the slot between the jib and the main. On the H16 I set the jib cars in for a small slot between the jib and the main in light air and the reverse for heavy air.

Is it possible to have the mast over rotated down wind? In light air I was trying to limit the mast rotation downwind so that the rotator arm was pointing just forward of the shroud. Previously downwind I’d let the mast rotate as much as it wanted in all conditions.

Final skipper question. Has anyone implemented H16/Tiger main sheet traveler set up on an H20? Is a kit available? What is done for a bracket for the traveler cleat?

Thanks,

Abraham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ineresting Questions,

Downhaul tension is really simple in what it does to the sail, but the answer to what you want for downhaul load is really secondary to how you want your sail shape for the conditions. Light air, flat water you may want to increase load (pull on it) to flatten out the sail after the boat has excellerated, but softer load and a fuller sail if the water is bumpy. You will also have to loosen it back up as you tack to give the sail more power and shape to excellerate out of the tack. As the wind comes up you may want to increase downhaul to open the head of the sail and depower (flatten) the sail by bending the mast more and pulling shape out of the sail. It really is a matter of feel and comparitive boat speed. Look at what your competition is doing, but keep in mind that crew weight will change what is required on your boat.

Moving the jib cars will change leech (back of the sail) and foot load, but not the luff (leading edge of the sail). I have not seen anyone moving the cars with changing wind speed, but I have moved the cars in and out, but even this is for really windy conditions (move out). The main concern here is when you are sheeted in, sailing upwind, are all the telltails flowing together. The windward and leeward telltails at the head, middle, and bottom of the sail all break at the same time. In addtion, your sail is just off the spreader and you are not backwinding the main. This is why you may move the blocks out on a very windy day to keep the jib from backwinding the now traveled out main with the downhaul cranked on and left that way. Moving the blocks out also effectively moves them aft opening the sail at the top. Now the head of the jib may luff first, but that is OK.

Downwind mast rotation, let it rotate, the shrouds will keep it from over rotating. Also, loosen the downhaul and outhaul. Don't forget to tighten them before you round the leeward mark. A knowledgeble, strong, fast crew will make or break you on this boat.

The center cleat for the main traveler is allowed, but you will have to have a stainless cleat bracked made as the crossbar is too short and verticle to use the standard plastic swivel cam mount. I do not know if Hobie or Murrays has one premade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Abraham,

As Mike stated I know of no racers who move the jib car fore and aft, but most do move them in and out. The common position for the jib car is from the center of the board trunk and back. Ours are completely behind the trunk. Find the position you like and keep it there.

Post subject: Downhaul
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the advice :) It never occurred to me to release the downhaul to help the boat accelerate off a tack :idea:

The big question I’m trying to answer it does the downhaul help the boat point in light air and flat seas? At our last race the conditions were light to medium air (10-15mph) and flat seas. Reaching to A mark I was experimenting to try and see if a tight downhaul would help the boat point. I couldn’t tell if it did. I crew on my Dad’s boat by the way. Is the downhaul like the jib sheet? When in doubt under sheet?

Typically H20(s) take on water from where? After 2 days of racing in light to moderate wind each hull had roughly ½ a gallon each. Last winter the hulls were inspected and repainted. The speculation is the water is coming in around the front cross bar?

In strong wind set max down haul and leave it? In the past I’ve sawed on the downhaul keeping the boat flat in gusts. Should I be sawing on the mainsheet travel instead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you're pinching, I'd say releasing the downhaul would help you fetch the mark. And for longevity of the sail, yes when in doubt under sheet.

Try the lux soap test. Check the bow tangs, front bar, dagger trunks, rear bar, ports and rudder gudgeons.

If you're sawing the downhaul with success I'd place that ahead of the traveller. When all that fails derotate the mast.

Thanks to many other Hobie sailors with these answers over this last season. Ask lots of questions at your next regatta. You'll gain a wealth of knowledge from some very nice folks. :)

Post subject: Soap test
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
Try the lux soap test. Check the bow tangs, front bar, dagger trunks, rear bar, ports and rudder gudgeons.

What's the lux soap test?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=169

Hull Leak Test explained in above post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Abraham what is your position and the skippers on the boat going upwind? are you both as far forward as possible ie driving the leeward hull almost under water. OK how about 1 to 2 inches aboue the water. Try keeping your weight as far forward as possible the H20 will perform much better this way. As for the cars forward or back adjust them so you get the best jib shape based on your mast rake. great advice on moving them outboard as the wind picks up start about in the middle. Some really great H20 racers have theirs fixed and no moveable (1st place 2005 nationals and 2nd 2006 nationals) Look at bow tangs for leaks just seal around them with some silicone sealer. with the LUX test also check the around the mounting bolts for the side stays. good luck Tom

Post subject: Weight Distribution
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The skipper (Dad) and I make it point to stay forward. In light wind I’ll usually go forward of the front cross bar. I have to remind the skipper to “take care of me out thereâ€