Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Would anyone have some nice pictures of a trailer with double rollers for a Hobie Getaway? We are looking at buying a boat soon and talking to the local dealer about double rollers I got a slight strange look ... No better way to explain other than pictures with the proper thing. I looked online and on this website and couldn't find any.
Also, would you have any idea if we could handle this big heavy boat with a beach dolly? 2-3 people? Would you have a picture of that as well? I am thinking we would want large wheels ... Would I be able to fit that in the back of my pickup? We would dolly on and off grass area.
We can't wait for later this year or early next year to order our new Getaway with wings, spinnaker, trapeze, trailer and beach dolly. I wish I could get the motor mount installed right from the beginning, but the dealer was right away trying to convince me I don't need one, so I quit asking.
We live in Alberta, Canada and the main reason for the boat is to learn to sail (already did a couple of classes on a lake here) and, as we get comfortable, do some cruising all over the place: Okanagan lake, Flathead lake MT and eventually West coast. Also looking forward to getting into the local club @ Wabamun lake.
You who are already tired of sailing this season ... Just wait! :)) and happy sailing!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

at

https://www.trailex.com

eugen wrote:
do some cruising all over the place: Okanagan lake,

Try Fintry Prov. Park at Okanagan Lake for camping with a boat. There are light winds this time of the year, which may be suitable if you just want to learn to sail. For more wind, there is Nicola Lake near Merritt, BC.

eugen wrote:
talking to the local dealer about double rollers I got a slight strange look

Is this Glenmore Sailboats in Calgary or Edmonton

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[quote="jackB"]Image

Thank you! Those trailex trailers look good, but they are a little expensive too. Is there a dealer in Alberta or BC? I wonder if I could handle the Getaway by hand on that trailer with a couple other people, using that trailer dolly they show as an extra option.
Do you recommend a Hobie dealer in BC?
Thanks for the tips! I will write them down. Just one other question: I am terrified of snakes. Are there any by Okanagan or merrit? :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

eugen wrote:
I wish I could get the motor mount installed right from the beginning, but the dealer was right away trying to convince me I don't need one, so I quit asking.

Don't ask him. Tell him. Does he not want your business? The Cheeta mount is pretty much the only one out there. Check my posts, I have some advice about them.
I've had a number of day sailers over the years. Having a Torqeedo outboard motor on my Getaway is the best move I've ever made. I can launch from any ramp, no matter the wind direction or how bad the ramp is for sailboats. I don't have to worry about whether it's an unfavorable channel. If the wind dies, or gets crazy high, I can strike the sails and motor back in.
I got the whole enchilada when I bought my boat too. The spinnaker is a lot of fun, but it's a light wind sail, don't try it in any high winds or you'll shred it.
Don't skimp on the trailer. I had a Hobie 17 with a cheap trailer. It broke, actually broke. The difference between a good trailer and a cheap one isn't that much, and it makes a heck of a difference in the long run. That said, double check everything the first few times out. I have a galvanized Genesis trailer. Good trailer. But with about 150 miles on it, I found a spring shackle bolt backed almost completely out. That was supposedly held on with a lock nut. The only way I can see that happened is if the nut wasn't installed by the factory or dealer, whoever assembled the axle. If the bolt had fallen out when I was towing the trailer, the axle would have been ripped off and undoubtedly destroyed the trailer, boat and possibly me!

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

eugen wrote:
Is there a dealer in Alberta or BC?

The only dealer I know is Glenmore Sailboats in Calgary and Edmonton,

http://glenmoresailboats.com/

I would NOT recommend them, but if you are looking for a new boat, you may not have a choice. For reliable information, this forum is 10 x better than any dealer I know. I do my shopping on line and using

http://www.foghmarine.com/

in Toronto. This obviously only works for small parts.

eugen wrote:
I am terrified of snakes. Are there any by Okanagan or merrit?

I would not be worry about snakes in the area. I have been hiking and camping in BC for nearly 20 years and have never encountered a rattlesnake.

Have fun shopping :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Email sent with pictures, including cradles and cat trax, faster than posting....
Happy Sailing and good winds.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you so much everyone! Anyone had a positive experience with a dealer in Saskatchewan, manitoba or BC?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought my double roller from Karavan trailer supply. I'm surprised that Hobie didn't demand double rollers. My 2003 Getaway developed detents sitting ion single rollers.

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Re rollers. My trailer has pads, not rollers, with carpet glued on it. Provides a good surface to support the boat and doesn't dent the hulls, and I have no problem sliding the boat on and off. Another alternative for you.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My trailer has pads. It came like that from the dealer. I think I prefer them over rollers. Just takes a good shove to get it moving along the pads.