Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI Hobie Cradles
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just took delivery on my new TI and Trailex SUT-450-AID trailer w/ Hobie cradles. My previous Cat trailers carried the hulls on rollers and were very easy to move on and off the trailers.

The Hobie Cradles for the TI are lined with a gray rubber pads. The TI is less than 200 lbs., but difficult to slide on the trailer. Has anyone used some type of lubricant on the cradles to ease TI movement ?

Question 2: What Is the "best" TI position (fore & aft) on the cradles w/ 65" centerline ?

thanx,
bill

Post subject: Re: TI Hobie Cradles
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I put my trailer in until the rear cradle is wet, so the only friction comes from the front one. This seems to work just fine (of course I rinse everything off well afterwards with fresh water)

My TI bow sits 84" ahead of the front face of the forward cradle. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have three cradles and sometimes a motor on the back, so even more friction and weight. I got tired of straining and added a winch.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you put an old towel on the cradles it will act as a lubricant when you drag the boat across it.. Just pull it out after the boat is set in position. It can also be used to unload the boat too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just bought a used trailer and was curious to know what you all use for trailer security, both hitched and unhitched. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Security: hitch pin lock prevents removing the receiver / ball from the vehicle
padlock on the trailer coupler to prevent removing the trailer from the ball
vinyl coated cable w/padlock to lock front crossbar (catamaran) to trailer
overnight in hotel: all of the above plus a cable w/padlock around permanent fixed fixture (lamp post, etc.)
bill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have most of that stuff. https://www.berkeleycountysc.gov/drupal/?q=sheriff/trailer This sheriff's department info convinced me locks can be broken and the low star rating on some locks echo this advice. I am going to make some florescent paint mods and dremel in my VIN into metal. I may even paint in my phone number. I have added some paint inside my kayak to make it more easily identifiable (just in case). Painting the inside of the boat is a tip I learned from a local Coast Guard Auxiliary. They have an ugly orange sticker I have in one of my other kayaks with my contact information.

I did buy a motorcycle cable lock that has an audible alarm, it loops through the same holes the wheel cradle can use.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The alarm's a great idea Clint.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I lock my outfitter in my truck bed I use heavy chain through the mirage drive hole.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

cooldudecaptain wrote:
I just took delivery on my new TI and Trailex SUT-450-AID trailer w/ Hobie cradles. My previous Cat trailers carried the hulls on rollers and were very easy to move on and off the trailers.

The Hobie Cradles for the TI are lined with a gray rubber pads. The TI is less than 200 lbs., but difficult to slide on the trailer. Has anyone used some type of lubricant on the cradles to ease TI movement ?

Question 2: What Is the "best" TI position (fore & aft) on the cradles w/ 65" centerline ?

thanx,
bill

Hi Bill

I have a couple AIs and although lighter than a TI they are still a bit of a hassle to slide onto a trailer. I made life easier by using the grey rubber cradle pads as templates and cutting out pads from a couple of carpet tiles. I glued these to the cradles using contact adhesive, and due to the low friction they make sliding the AI onto the trailer a breeze.
I'm then using ratchet straps to secure the boats to the trailer when traveling , so I can't see the point in having the rubber pads in the cradles as you just end up fighting them......!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We also have a winch on our trailer, they are like $25 bucks at Harbor Freight, well worth it. Most other TI trailers I have seen also have winches added.

There is a huge advantage to owning a TI, the boat itself has factory standard theft deterrent features designed in. I just can't imagine two teenagers running thru the neighborhood with a 200# plus TI on their heads (LOL).
Actually when we are travelling I borrow my wifes motorcycle lock which is very heavy (un-cut able) cloth covered chain (purchased at Harley dealer,,,,, not cheap), I run thru the mirage drive slot, and thru the trailer frame, or the roof rack when car topping. A hitch lock is also a good idea on the trailer. A 357 also helps LOL. We always keep the mirage drives in our hotel room.
To be honest we travel a lot, and have never had problems. I think TI's are kind of like powerboats on trailers, most people leave them alone (grand theft is another category above just simple kayak snatch, and gets a lot more attention, hopefully they all know this). That's another reason I register and insure all my TI's (ie..... automatic grand theft.... insurance agent recommended we do this).
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Careful Bob, nothing is "uncuttable"! I have a battery powered angle grinder that will go through anything like butter but is hopefully loud enough for you to wake up and use the 357...

You certainly should make things as difficult as possible and a hardened steel chain is a great way to do that.

Friendly reminder to anyone with a lock with one of those round keys (usually found on u shaped bike locks) they can be picked with a bic pen, u check utube.

J

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

re: the first discussion on this thread. I got a little miffed at the high price of the Hobie cradles. So I measured/traced the curves of the TI bottom with Ama's, and made a couple of DIY cradles from 3 2X6s covered with outdoor carpet. These I mounted to an ancient/reclaimed (cheap) boat trailer. Though I have a winch, I only use it to crank on a bit of bow support after the TI is 98% trailored. A good yank is all that is needed to ship the TI home on loading, or a bit of a shove sends it clear of trailer on offloading. The Home Depot indoor/outdoor (recycled plastic bottle) carpet is pretty slick.

The TI has rear roller, 2 cradles, front roller, and bow winch, so it's supported at 5 points.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ever get an answer to cradle placement? I have the same trailer. I pulled the boat forward but that makes the boat rest on one cradle. How did you decide to do it

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I did not get any 'hard' answers. For storage I pull the bow forward almost to the coupler and rest the bow on a bow roller. A third cradle/cross bar was added and located approximately 22" behind the AMA bow (in the storage position). The third cradle position is, at best, a compromise to get as much boat contact as possible.

For towing, the two main cradles are directly over the standard crossbeams on the SUT-450 trailer and the TI bow is approximately 30" to the rear of the trailer coupler.

If you send me your email address I'll send a few photos.

bill