Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the 2007 Mirage Adventure Fish model. An amazing machine!!! However, I am unable to mount the "sidekick ama kit" behind the seat where it should be because there is pre-installed hardware on the gunwale area for the new "adventure island" kayak's type ama kit which is too big for any practical application in my opinion ( if you want to sail that much, buy a sailboat). Anyway, getting back on topic, this is a major oversight from Hobie. I am mechanically capable but I can't fix this problem. I can't even stagger the screws because of the internal deck plastice housing that anchors the machine screws. It seeems to me that hobie invested much resource into these pre-installed deck screws, and there should be a way to convert these for the popular "sidekick ama kit." Please help-- I am lost!, ERIK THE RED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don't diss the AI until you try it. It IS a sailboat, and also a kayak. That's the beauty of it :P I have both a Getaway and an AI, and I've own many boats (from a 9' pram to a 44' cruiser); the AI is a great "sailyak".

I love taking it out in the morning when the water is still glass and I can pedal around the coves, then sail back home when the wind picks up to remind me that it's been 4 hours since I left. I could do that with my Getaway as there is usually absolutely no wind in the morning here. I could use my other kayaks, but then would have pleasure of coming back under sail when the wind cooperates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply. :) Actually, the Adventure Island looks quite amazing, and i'm sure Hobie did a top notch engineering job. I would love to buy one but I would have a dificult time storing the ama's. They are bulky and inconvienient to keep around, right, or are they collapsible like the sidekick's?
Also, if you have any info regarding my original problem that would be great... ERIK THE RED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm hoping Matt Miller will weigh in on this topic. I take delivery of an '07 Adventure this week and had ordered the Sidekick accessory. If the Sidekick isn't going to fit as originally designed or is otherwise going to be a problematic installation I'll want to cancel the Sidekick until a fix is implemented. What is Hobie's response?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:47 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Can you move the cross piece another inch or two aft and mount the clamps on the gunnels?

If the cross piece is not long enough you might be able to extend it a bit. elsewhere it has been suggested using one inch PVC, but I really don't know if that is strong enough. Maybe some one inch aluminum tube. (Cut the cross piec in half and insert connector piece.)

Just speculating. You will end up with portion of your tank well partitioned into a smaller space (not all bad)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Aloha Dan: Thanks for the idea. The short answer to your question is no. The long answer is kind of, but how far am I willing to go to MAKE this "sidekick ama kit" fit on the brand new 2007 Adventure. I can't move the crossbar gunnel clamp 1 or 2 inches aft because then the flat bottom of the black plastic clamp will be riding unbalanced on top of the brass female part of the pre-installed hardware. I am considering using one the pre-existing machine screw holes and drilling the other. This seems to be my only possible option other than a REAL fix from Hobie!

Naples Dennis: I don't know what to tell you. At this point, I would call Hobie (good luck) and try to get an answer. I am very hesitant to start drilling a new hull with no guarantee that my idea will work. On a good note, congratulations on the purchase of a virtual kayak BULLET... you'll be kayaking alone for now on!

ERIK THE RED

Post subject: Island vs Getaway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Xaviar
I was wondering how the Island compares to the Getaway in the various points of sail.

Thanks
Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Erik. I test drove '06 Adventures several times and tried all the Hobie Mirage Drive units at a demo day in West Palm Beach a couple of weeks ago. If the wind lets up a bit I hope to be on the water for hours this weekend.

I also liked the Revolution but it was just a bit shy on legroom for me. Nonetheless I plan to pick up a Revolution to have on hand for friends at the next demo day in March.

I spoke with my dealer, Adventure Times Kayaks, today about the Sidekick issue issue and they are calling Matt Miller tomorrow to get solicit a factory response. I'll post their reply (if there is on) tomorrow night.

Tight lines and steady breezes.

Post subject: SideKick installation
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

I have been away (Vacation).

You are correct, the SideKick was not considered when we designed the Adventure Island and making each Adventure "Island capable" was much more important. Yes, the Adventure does not now allow for installation right behind the seat. The next possible location is aft of the rod holders and that looks like it will work quite well. I can see where using the Island mounting inserts might work, but with different hardware. That is not something we are likely to do any time soon though. I will review with our engineers and see if they have any ideas on that.

We do not have a fixed mounting suggestion for each model. There is nothing wrong with mounting the SideKick in a lot of different places on the boats. Some people are mounting them forward too. That may be better for sailing stability. The kit is universal, so some boats may have issues. Some boats may require the crossbar to be placed off-center due to the width and adjustment button locations.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now THERE's an interesting statement from Hobie that "mounting the Sidekick forward may be better for Sailing". (Not verbatim).

As a new Revo owner who is considering adding the Sidekick this is interesting indeed.

Would the Admin or anyone else who has actually tried it care to add any other info on this matter such as suggested location details or why it may be a better location for Sailing?

I dont need AMA for paddling/pedalling but I would like it for fresh breezes when Sailing.

(PS, I wanted an AI but it is too big and heavy for one old guy to lift of the high Van roof and drag down a long beach.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:18 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Max and congratulations on your new Revolution!

I don't have the Sidekick, but have an opinion or two anyway.

When the AI gets a decent breeze, there can be a bit of extra spray in your face from the amas and front crossbar. The extra weight forward also keeps the bow down so it ends up driving through the chop and small swells. This also contributes to the wetness. Of course, the Adventure hull is a bit wetter than the Revo anyway. For these reasons, I think the aft location will be a drier choice for you.

Additionally, the Revo deck plan leaves you virtually no place to mount the Sidekick forward anyway. You can't have it where the drive mounts; you can't put it on the front hatch, and further forward than that, would be impossible to reach for adjustment, and will probably interfere with your steering stability, etc. etc. Forward mounting might be a more viable option on some of the other boats possibly (tandems or Outback for example).

Mounting it behind you will keep you drier, it will be easier to reach for adjustment and stowing underway and is where the flat mounting surfaces are. All you have to worry about is interference with your paddling stroke and possible conflict with any other gadgets you may want to mount in the cargo area!

It's nice that it has the flexibility to mount where it can best suit your needs. Hopefully, it won't be too much of a compromise with other space requirements. It seems to be very popular so, once you decide exactly where to place it, no doubt you'll really enjoy it! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I mounted my lobster pot buoy amas or outriggers aft on the Outback because there was inside-the-hull access on that yak.

However, no such luck on the Sport--no aft hatch thru which I could secure the hardware. So my amas for sailing are located forward on the Sport. They have worked fine on the few occasions I have used them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanx for that Roadrunner, I have read all your posts prior to buying the boat. Also thanx Apalach for your inpout.
Since posting the local agent, (A Sailor), has talked me out of the Outriggers. He said any gust that needs an AMA to stop the Heel will bury the float and turn the Yak downwind. He said the AMA is mainly for ppl who want extra stability for non-sailing uses, such as standing up to fish.

I'm still open to incoming info as I have only basic childhood Skiff sailing experience. Here's what happened on my first try in real wind:

Ok, so its an Autumn Northerly and as usual its unfriendly with sudden direction variations and gusts from 6-15 Knots.
Trimmed and pointed for about 8 knots the Yak sails very well for a Yak and tacks upwind quite easily.
But the moment the sudden 15 knot gust hits, over you go as without a keel with lead in it or even a Daggerboard to slow it down there is no time to turn upwind or loosen the main sheet before it's turned Turtle, Splash, owell I needed some practice righting it in open water.

The Northerly strengthens as they do in the arvo, whitecaps are forming in the Bay and suddenly everything is stupid, down with the mast and onto the pedals, the wind is now too strong for a keel-less, ballast-less sailboat to make safe way let alone tack upwind to the starting point.

Conclusions, the Hobie Revolution sails better than any Yak should, and, as long as the wind is moderate, consistent in strength & direction it will perform beyond your expectations and the manufacturer's max limit and be a lot of fun.
I found the Hobie is much happier with some tack, even downwind, it does'nt like Reaching much due to the lack of ballast I suppose.
Next time I will tune into the Control Tower at the Aerodrome for my Wind Reports.
I still got plenty of exercise righting the boat and climbing back in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:44 am 
Hobie Team Member

Quote:
Since posting the local agent, (A Sailor), has talked me out of the Outriggers. He said any gust that needs an AMA to stop the Heel will bury the float and turn the Yak downwind. He said the AMA is mainly for ppl who want extra stability for non-sailing uses, such as standing up to fish.

Sorry that is BS

You would never huli with Sidekick uness the wind is 35 knots+

I use Sidekick ALL the time at sea in Hawaii trades. Would not be without it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:04 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Max, your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about and evidently has no experience with the Sidekick. They work great in moderate + winds to make sailing much more enjoyable. Additionally, they are an excellent aid when you take a swim and want want to get back aboard!

Aloha Dan
sails with his all the time. Nicolius and I went out sailing together once -- he has the Sidekick. The winds got up to about 15 - 18 kts and he was cruising along really well while I was struggling to stay on the boat! I used to sail a bit over by Hiroshima and we would frequently get rather abrupt changes in the wind direction and speed like you apparently do. They can be a real challenge! The sidekick sounds like it would be a perfect solution for something like that.

BTW, the sailing rudder is a real help when you're sailing anyway, and the price is reasonable. I'd recommend them both! Just curious, have you rigged a block (pulley) where your mainsheet passes through the aft padeye? If not, do get one. The sail will respond much quicker when you need to react to sudden wind gusts.8)