Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
Stringy, I get what you are saying about the improved performance using hakas, but I personally would prefer that to be a bonus over an improved performance envelope available while sitting in a central seat.

That's a good point Tony. You are right that Hobie have improved the performance based on sitting in the seat well. Thinking about it that is the logical thing to do. Those that want to, and are able, can then improve on that with haka etc.

As far as rushing out to get a new AI ...I won't be. As I use mine as a kayak a lot more I can see no advantage in the upgrade at the moment.

Now if the TI got similar improvements I might think about it.

It looks like what Hobie are offering with these new changes are the first significant upgrades that are worth trading up to.
I just hope they have fixed the water funnelling handles as well.

BTW, Keith (Chekika) is noticeably absent from this discussion. He was pushing hard for a lot of these improvements in earlier posts. I'm interested to know what he thinks about the longer ama and built in daggerboard which must, you would think, add extra weight?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
OK Slaughter - I take it back. The amas are not perfect. Hobie forgot the foils. :cry:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I can see where Hobie is going with this. It starts with forward raked ama and ends I predict like this:

Maybe that's Hobie's fix for the water funnelling handles? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TI_Tom wrote:
2015 TI price went up to $6,199 from $5,599. That would lead me to believe that they have made a lot of the same changes to the TI.
Hell, that's cheap for the jib.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
TI_Tom wrote:
2015 TI price went up to $6,199 from $5,599. That would lead me to believe that they have made a lot of the same changes to the TI.
Hell, that's cheap for the jib.

I still don't think they are going to have a factory jib option. I could always be proven wrong as they haven't released the new accessories catalog. Here is a snippet from my invoice for the 2015 TI...

2015 Updates include: Main hull and amas with the reverse angle
bow design, elevated seating with the Vantage CT Seats, Lowrance
Ready Built-in Transducer Mount, Roller Bearing Turbo Blue Fins

As to any added ama size, hull length, or sail area we will just have to wait and see.

The tramps went up in price to $385. It's not a huge increase so I don't know if that means they will be any bigger. If the tramps were bigger it might mean either more beam or a wider distance between the fore and aft akas. If it's the latter then one could correlate that with an increase in ama size and possibly hull length.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
BTW, Keith (Chekika) is noticeably absent from this discussion. He was pushing hard for a lot of these improvements in earlier posts. I'm interested to know what he thinks about the longer ama and built in daggerboard which must, you would think, add extra weight?

Hi Stringy,

Nancy & I have been travelling and camping in the NW, especially Washington state--what a beautiful place, if you get a chance to get out here. We have been WiFi challenged here and that is the main reason I have not posted on this subject. My understanding is that the 2015 AI will be a bit longer, a bit wider, with a bit more freeboard & Vantage seats. That will likely to add some weight. Of course, the question is, "how much?" If the extra weight is 15-20#, I think I can handle that for significant sailing improvements. Without seeing the boat yet or knowing its exact measurements, I am favorably impressed with the apparent improvements and will likely upgrade both of our boats.

Diablo Reservoir in North Cascades National Park, WA, USA Lat 48.710791 deg, Long -121.103550 deg.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So glad they topped that tree, Keith. :wink:

I'd be interested to know if the Aka lengths are longer or if hardware stuff is still interchangeable. Masts as well.

Titom, the jib comment was sarcasm. You'll get used to it here. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ah, sarcasm noted NOHUHU.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't you go getting bored there Keith. No WiFi etc . Bet there's not even a McDonalds. How are you going to survive ??? :lol:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guys don't get me started on the jib option that was promised when the TI first came out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
So glad they topped that tree, Keith. :wink:

I was thinking "did Keith do that for the photo op ?!?!?" ... not really, but the last time up to my MIL's lakehouse she did do that very thing to a few pines on the lake side of the house stating she was afraid they might fall on the house :roll: Oh, and hey !! the view is so much better

... with 2 archaic 2007 AI's Im certainly do for an upgrade of at least my ride (wife has only been out once so far this year). I tend to only go out when conditions are at the "Thrilling" end of the scale so the idea of better Dilithium Crystals powering the core reactor has me very intrigued as does the idea of not returning after a day out with STS (Stewed Tush Syndrome)

I'm also hoping that with more floatation the AI becomes a true 2-person capable craft via tramps/hakas. It would be nice to be able to take a friend out who wasn't an elf. Not that I dont like taking out my elvish friends but I do have others .. or at least one ?

I'd think about a new TI but Wife is fiercely independent (or doesn't want to listen to me all day) so she can keep her current ride whilst I cruise the strip in my new HotRod.

There .. I've already talked myself into it. Wasnt that tough at all

Edit - Hmm .. I think all of us with current Cradles will need to upgrade those as well

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

...tree topped ... boredom... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keith,
What a great location! Looks perfect for an Island adventure, though may be a bit on the chilly side?

Passwind,
Good point, hadn't thought about the cradles issue. The current AI fits nicely on conventional roof rack kayak cradles, which is all I've ever used. The TI does not.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter, McDonald's is the only reliable WiFi out here--I'm typing this at the McDonald's in Ketchum/Sun Valley.

My early plan had been to sail many of the great lakes in western USA--even Columbia River/Gorge. But, Hobie wouldn't give/loan me a TI, and I scrapped that plan. I still think a TI would be ideal on these lakes because you don't have significant tide change. In any case, Nancy & I are doing the trip sans boats, and I'm scoping out some lakes that might be interesting to do next year. If I upgrade our AIs, I plan to move our older AIs out to northern NM next summer (or sell them and get a used TI.)

Regarding the question asked in the title of this thread--will "upgrades" be found in the TI. Most of the "upgrades" I'm aware of are pretty specific to the AI, except the Vantage chairs. If the TI is made "a little longer & wider" with more free board, that would definitely take it out of the range of a single user range for many people (he/she could sail it, of course, I'm talking of moving it on land.)

We'll see. Still heading home to NM, just taking our time (I do have about 30# of salmon in my Coleman Extreme cooler with dry ice, which I'm trying to get back to NM.) My friend, Paul, who plans to buy an AI this year, and I caught them on a small river near the western side of Olympic National Park.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A bit more info from this low quality video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V6NkHItM7pI
-sail area increased by 10sq/ft
-boat length now 16' 8"
-new bladed paddles
-18 more pounds of forward flotation???
-seat set further back???

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is interesting, it looks like the redesigned the AI to be more like the TI (mini me lol). That ridge line goes all the way to the bow, this will do quite a bit to strengthen the bow. Hopefully the hatch seal is now similar to the TI's.
Moving the seat back some will help get the CG back on the boat and the bigger bow (now like the TI design) should prevent the diving that the AI's were famous for.
The AMA's look to be almost the same design as the TI's which is great. I found on my TI at high speed the AMA's actually plane on the water really well. Who knows this new AI design make knock the TI off the top as Hobies fastest kayak (in kayak only mode), however I suspect boat length is everything when it comes to kayak speed (with similar designed hulls). Of course we are comparing to other recreational kayak designs, not surfskis, proa's, and specialty 'pro class' ultra light sea kayaks, as those are different animals (and usually way more expensive).
Nice job Hobie.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

stringy wrote:
I just hope they have fixed the water funnelling handles as well.

Looks like they got rid of the handles entirely.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next