Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any suggestions on mooring an 18? Spring loaded whips? Tying off the mast? After 15 yrs, I've nevered dealt with anything but beaches.

Thanks.

~Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a mooring for my Tiger. It is for temporary use only and only exists because of the lack of a beach directly infront of my place (I do need to stop for lunch and so forth). I'd never leave the boat unattended. Cats love to walk back and forth in the wind, period, and when on a buoy; they just can't sit still. Anything tied to the front hulls is likely to wear at the boat's gelcoat, so you have to be very careful with anything other than a soft rope. In fact, they will also hit the buoy and you need to be selective about your choice. To get my Tiger to settle down and behave I'll tie a weight or anchor off the rear cross-bar and toss it directly downwind. Everything calms down in this configuration. Of course, until the wind shifts and that's why you need to be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Excellent advice and a great idea. I wouldn't have thought of that one. Since cats aren't ballasted or displace any water, they don't work well on anchors/moorings. They basically just spin where the wind takes them, rubbing all the while. I would suggest around an 8# mushroom anchor tossed over the back to dampen this effect, and has no sharp edges, but is not a long-term solution. It would be extremely difficult to get a small bladed anchor to bite, unless you were able to drop it far enough behind the boat, to achieve a 7:1 scope, then tie off to the mooring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Totally ease the downhaul and release the main off the boom, as you do on the beach. Make sure you tie the mast rotator firmly to a single position and that it is clear of the boom; the noise made by mast will drive you crazy. Constant and periodic mast rotation will wear, if not damage, the equipment out as the boat works across the incoming waves. Do not leave the boat in large waves.

Interestingly I use a four foot long, two bladed auger as an anchor to hold a large mooring buoy. A chain holds the buoy to the auger. I turned the auger into the ground until it just passed below the sand. Last weekend I was shocked to find a 19 foot, 3600 lb Sea Ray roped off to the mooring. The winds were blowing over 30 MPH and the Sea Ray was hobby-horsing madly, jerking at what I thought would be a rather tender anchor. In desparation the owners tied up in fear of attempting to hoist their boat onto a boat lift. When we muscled the boat back safely onto its lift, I checked the mooring anchor. It was as sound as the day I sunk it into the bottom. Pretty cheap mooring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I moor my Hobie 18 to a 9" inflatable buoy chained to a 3' galvanized steel anchor (a huricane tie-down) augored into the river bed (and coquina rock below). You may want a larger anchor with 6" diameter heilicoil if you're just going into sand.

The key is to minimize damage due to the constant motion of the boat. In addition to things Sailing a Ray and other bring up, I would ensure that you attach a large snap ring from the buoy to the dolphin striker down rod. This prevents the buoy from rubbing up against your gelcoat.

You also need to keep slack in the chain or rope for changes in tides/waves. Yet you don't want too much that it causes your boat to get yanked if the wind does a 180! I use bungie cords from the anchor head to the bottom of the buoy.

:D Lou3220