Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Righting line.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Could some one please explain to me the best way to run righting line on my H 20. I never installed one before and everybody tells me different. Arnis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm a basics guy, big poly line tied to the dolphin striker. I poked a hole in the tramp bag and stuffed it in there to keep it out of the way. Simple, light and cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

By using that system can you bring the boat back by yourself even in a heavy winds ? Arnis

Post subject: Re: Righting line.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

arnis wrote:
By using that system can you bring the boat back by yourself even in a heavy winds ? Arnis

Progressively heavier winds make it progressively easier to right any cat (to a point). Pointing the bows/mast into the wind at a 45 degree angle and the wind helps to right the boat.

By yourself? On a 20? A whole different story. :shock:

First off, you wouldn't catch me on the 20 by myself...ever. The boat starts flying a hull upwind in 10mph breeze. If it's blowing hard getting a bigger boat turned around in to the wind is progressively more difficult (14, 16, 18, 20). We have a handful with one swimming the mast and one standing forward on the hull to help rotate the boat around. The boat weighs 400 lbs., unless you weigh over 250 don't count on righting it alone.

Post subject: Re: Righting line.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John Eaton wrote:
First off, you wouldn't catch me on the 20 by myself...ever. The boat starts flying a hull upwind in 10mph breeze. If it's blowing hard getting a bigger boat turned around in to the wind is progressively more difficult (14, 16, 18, 20). We have a handful with one swimming the mast and one standing forward on the hull to help rotate the boat around. The boat weighs 400 lbs., unless you weigh over 250 don't count on righting it alone.
Amen!

Post subject: righting line
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

here's the rig my brother and i have which we got from another 20 at our club:

we took our old jib sheet (about 30 feet i think), and tied one around the post inside the rear crossbar. You can feed it out through the hole in the side panel. Then run this line through the gap between the hull and the tramp (near the grommet, but not through it) and then up through the small metal ring under the front corner of the tramp. Then pass the end through the metal ring on the other side, and back up towards the stern, and through the space in the back (now on the other side) and feed into the rear crossbar and tie off as before. The trick is to leave a little slack (maybe 3-4 feet but i can't say for sure). Now take a small piece of bungee (about 2 feet) and secure one end to the rear crossbar in the center of the boat (we did this by passing it through the line that stretches out the tramp, and tying off a figure eight knot). Then put a shackle on the other end of the bungee. Stretch the bungee so you can secure the shackle around the righting line, between the two metal rings under the front of the tramp. This should strethc the line back (making a big "M") and keep the line out of the water. When you flip, you just pull on the line, the bungee will stretch to give you some slack, and you are ready to rock and roll!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to you all for help ! I got my rihting line installed. I will try it out this weekend. Arnis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Group,
I just bought a 25 foot dockline from West marine. I fed the splice around the dolphin striker, then added some truckers hitches to the line for grip. I keep it in the pouch(other side than mainsheet).
Seems to do the trick.
Regards
Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

a righting pole is another solution. it allows for a lot more leverage when righting the boat :D