Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

P14WD :
Really nice setup, what I really like is the T-bar across the front of the car (our T-bar is rear mounted in the hitch receiver), I like yours better.
The A frame is a great idea, way better than the jib crane setup I had, which would have to be removed after the boat is on the roof.
Actually I never attempted to try to load/unload the full TI (with AMA's, sails, and everything else), I always strip the boat down completely and stuff everything into the car (ie.. seats, AKA's, motor mounts, etc) this is the most time consuming part for me, mounting and un-mounting all the extras where in your case since your not lifting the boat manually you can load the fully rigged boat up and down with little effort, I like it.

We also tow a camper when traveling so we can't use the boat trailer at the same time, thus we car top when camping or when we go to Key West (where parking is a premium). A setup like yours would save me at least 30 minutes of mantling and dis-mantling time.
I always felt it's not a major undertaking to lift the hull only up on the roof (no harder than trying to lift an oasis up there with the right technique), it all the extras that have to be mounted on and removed from the boat that is the time killer when car topping, I think your solution solves all that.
Actually if I were to park my car parallel to the waters edge at the park where we normally launch I could drop the boat right into the water with your setup, taking about the same time to launch as it currently takes me with the trailer.
Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Bob,
I agree the dismantling and packing everything in the car takes time. (Hence if I had the option I would also use a trailer)
I do take the mirage drives out and stow them in the bags for transport. The seats could stay in for short trips but usually we travel from home to a distant camping area and then unload so I prefer to not have the seats whipped by 100Km/h winds and covered in bugs.
The T-Bar at the front provides a really solid point to better distribute the weight and allows me to pull the hull forward so that the rear does not interfere with the Camper Trailer.
I have also considered lowering the just the kayak from the side straight into the water when we are on a river but so far the river banks we have been on are too unstable and sloping to drive the car right up to the edge as you can see from the photo. Our camper is the one on the right.

Regards, Ian

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2012 TI and use the Trailex 350 SUT trailer. The TI weighs 190 lbs fully rigged and the Trailer 155 lbs. Since my habit is to never to dip my trailer, I use the heavy duty cart to move my fully rigged TI from the trailer to the beach and/or ramp. I try to get the trailer as close as possible. However, I have had to pull my TI using the front handle (by myself) 100 yards. I will tell you that 190 lbs gets heavy quick....especially if you pull the TI up a ramp. Lately, I have found it easier to disconnect the Trailex trailer and use it as a dolly. I get the boat to the waters edge and lift up on the tongue until the end of the TI reaches the ground then slowly pull the trailer away. It is about the same level of effort either way. But, to answer your question, yes...it can be done and I'm sure someone out there has figured out a smarter, easier way. I do not have the larger dolly with the TI cradles as this would be a problem to put it in my small Mazda 3.

Speaking of trailers, some of my TI friends that recently purchased said some kayak shops selling the TI advise against the Trailex trailer as it 'bounces' due to its lightweight. I will tell you this is BS. I routinely tow mine at 70 mph (although 55 mph is recommended) and it never bounces or sways! In fact, I like the light weight as it allows me to tow the TI with a small car....and to use the trailer as a dolly! Try that with a 450 lbs galvanized trailer!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2012 TI (dune) with 2012 Trailex trailer. Garage kept in mint condition. I am in the Tampa area. $5100 for both with many accessories. You can see the pics on craigslist (search for "hobie" under tampa area). You can call or text me (Mike) at 813-598-8151.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also car top and use an electric winch similar to Ian's.
I load from the back of the car onto this rack which sits on standard roof racks.

In my garage, I hook through the front mirage hole, onto the rack.
So I load directly onto and off the roof of the car.
I also have a support at the front of the car as below.

To load at the beach I lift the nose onto that roller then slide forward.
Definitely not getting a 2015 TI - too heavy for me to lift. Well that's
my excuse for now.

Great video Ian. One day I must give a video a go.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Change man. That car topper set up worth the extensions is sweet. Where do you mount the winch?
I have been car topping for 2 years. Solo man handling was a challenge for me till I got some tips from these boards

1. One TI owner has a T bar. I liked the Rhino rack
There is a YouTube. [url][http://youtu.be/XTsmZ5SomIE/url] demoing.
2. The next tip was spending a bit of time figuring the length go line needed to attach from the bumper to the rear of the boat for solo loading. That way when the boat is on the T bar it won't slide backwards
3. In a frenzy of buying parts I bought another set of wheels that doesn't use the scupper holes and has no hull mold. I attach the straps to the rear handle line and this acts as a wheeled tail gear.

All this forms a triangle so the boat holds in the incline. I don't have the upper body strength to lift the bow from the ground to the T bar in one move. I use a folding step ladder as a mid point.

I can then catch my breath and grab the boat from the stern and push it on top of the car

The step ladder helps me get to the straps on top of the GMC Suburban. It takes me on average 70 minutes from storage to ready to go.

It is the time factor that propelled me to buy a used trailer. Live and learn, I could have bought a new one after I replaced and bought new stuff. I did get a hand winch and a roller for the back of the trailer, put the boat WITH amas on the trailer with strapping 15 minutes. I was amazed cause I loaded the boat to the trailer like I did car topping, boat only. Nice benefit is rigging the boat while it is on the trailer

Bob in Hawaii suggested putting snap clips on straps, another excellent time saver

There are areas in Northern California which are no-trailer so I will keep the car topping rigging in the garage. Time will tell if I ever decide to go there!

This forum has been a fountain of knowledge and help. The tenor of the posts are friendly and cordial, makes it a pleasure to read them. Thanks to the ladies and gentlemen of the forums for collectively sharing their passion and ingenuity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChangeMan
What size / brand is that roller on your rooftop rig ? I'm looking for a self centering roller to put on the rear and the front of a TI trailer I'm designing. I want the rear roller to guide the bow onto 1 1/2" pvc pipe runners and the front one to provide some bow support up by the trailer hitch. Do you think the roller you are using would be suitable for this ?
Thanks
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's a small world Chris but maybe not small enough.
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_item ... lutePage=2
is where I purchased it in Australia.
I'm sure there is similar available in good ol Austin there in the mighty Texas.
Worth looking for as they do centre, particularly the nose of the TI.
Cheers,
Brian in South Australia.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris, in answer to if it would be suitable to support the bow, I don't think it is the best way.
There isn't a lot of surface area. Instead I use a nylon block. The secret is though, mount
it under the mast step. That way, the load is transferred to stronger parts of the kayak.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Clintava. After re-reading my post, I see that I wasn't clear.
My winch is to lift it into the ceiling of the garage as in below.
The chains in the photo are while I was testing lifting the frame prior to loading the TI.

Of course I may have been dreaming about a winch on the car. I have in mind the one
below but note that Bob (FusionEng) tried a winch but found it too slow. I am hoping that
the free wheel on the winch will enable me to use it just to lift onto the frame on the roof.
There is a video on this site somewhere, of an Island being winched onto a Jeep roof top.

I support the front of the TI from a frame attached to the front cross member. I made
that strong enough to mount the winch. So it will happen in time. Don't hold your breath
though as I bought the epoxy and pop rivets a year ago to fix the aka knuckles and only
got around to it last week. Now solid as a rock by the way.

I will post a video of loading and unloading, when I have it set up the way I want.
I would certainly use a trailer if I could, but towing a caravan and lack of room prohibits.

Cheers,
Brian in South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Brian, I'm sure I can find an equivalent roller here.
Got it on the bow support. You have me thinking now that I could make something like an extended V rest for the bow to rest on under the mast step.
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think that roller is really cool, if I find one i will buy it just cause I think it cool.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris, it is fairly flat under the mast step.
I built my own cart to transport to the water and I use a block of wood covered in carpet.
It has a reasonable area of contact.

Yeah Bob, and when I see two Hondas I will buy them because they are cool.
On my el cheapo outboard, I can twist it 180 and have a reverse.
Can't you do that with the Honda?

Brian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brian:
Yes I can, I normally just keep the motor(s) locked straight and steer with the rudder. But if that breaks I call crawl in the back seat and steer with the motor tillers if needed. It's nice to have backups for everything.
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good. That means I can still buy cool Hondas.