Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Demo Days
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are a couple of Hobie Demo Days coming up in my area and it will be my first opportunity to see an AI or TI in person. I was wondering if the dealers offer a significant discount on purchases at these events? I'm planning to buy a TI in 2015 and might make the purchase at Demo Day's if there's an incentive.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Hobie Demo Days
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I doubt there is a top-down instruction from Hobie to discount at demo days, however, I would imagine that any dealer would be susceptible to negotiation. Typically the list price is not discounted, but the provision of accessories at extremely low (or even no) prices can provide a good incentive. Just ask...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My dealer gave me boat show pricing on pre-ordering a 2015 TI. I think they took the cost off the trailer and the accessories, but hey every little bit helps.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Join texaskayakfishing.com all Tkf members receive discounts through ACK when you're ready to buy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, I forgot about the TKF discount. I joined the group recently, need to see how to obtain the discount.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I attended the Austin Tx. Hobie demo this weekend. After weeks of 97 F daily temperatures, a cold front blew in for Saturday and it was cold and wet the entire day. This gave me a little more time to try out the TI as there were not a lot of people willing to brave the elements. Sunday brought better weather but hardly a puff of wind to use the sail. I have to say that feeling the wind catch the sail for the first time was an amazing experience.
The Hobie folks were very helpful and friendly in answering my many questions about the TI. They did not have a 2015 TI to demo but the 2014 they brought had the new Mirage drives. The drive felt very smooth and worked great but with more time I would like to do an A-B comparison just to see if I can feel a difference.
Some of the other boats had the new Vantage seat and I had a chance to sit in it quite a bit. I love this seat, even if it didn't have the huge range of adjustment I would still say it's an improvement over the previous one.
Just for fun I took out the little Mirage Sport. It was a very funny feeling after being experienced with my longer Revo 13. I felt like I was riding on a cork compared to the Revo 13. One of the Hobie guys had a good chuckle watching my confusion; the steering lines were reversed and he saw me look back at the rudder to see what was up knowing that I owned the Revo. I accused them of bringing a Sport with "British" steering :)

It was my first time to see the TI in person and at the end of the day I pre-ordered a 2015 for December delivery. Our Dealer Austin Kayak was offering a %5 discount on the boat, %15 on accessories so I saved a bit on the purchase.
Sorry for the lack of pictures but everything that was new has already been photographed and readily available so I didn't bother to add my poor photos.
Now to get that trailer modified.
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I too attended a demo day (Missouri City, TX). I was tempted to pre-order the 2015 tandem island, but have yet to pull the trigger. The ACK reps weren't too knowledgeable on the new model and seemed to be irritated in hosting this event it seemed. I was able to sail a 2013 tandem island for my first time and absolutely fell in love with this watercraft! Will eventually purchase one, but once I find a more professional/reputable dealer. :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
They did not have a 2015 TI to demo

To be clear... There is no 2015 model built yet. I believe it is expected late Fall to Winter.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Quote:
They did not have a 2015 TI to demo

To be clear... There is no 2015 model built yet. I believe it is expected late Fall to Winter.

Thanks Matt, am anxious to see it in person! Looks like a beast.

Last edited by RJ of Texas on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RJ
I also attended the Houston demo day and had the same experience with the Austin Kayak people. They were disorganized, didn't start classes on time and seemed annoyed with my questions. I have had similar but generally better experiences with them in Austin though I found myself looking for another Hobie dealer in anticipation of needing good customer service for my $7000+ TI purchase in the future.
The Hobie folks were great though at both Demo Days.
I spoke with a Hobie catamaran owner out at Lake Travis recently and he highly recommended The Sailboat Shop out there for their great customer service but I don't know if they sell the kayak line.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Buckaroo wrote:
RJ
I also attended the Houston demo day and had the same experience with the Austin Kayak people. They were disorganized, didn't start classes on time and seemed annoyed with my questions. I have had similar but generally better experiences with them in Austin though I found myself looking for another Hobie dealer in anticipation of needing good customer service for my $7000+ TI purchase in the future.
The Hobie folks were great though at both Demo Days.
I spoke with a Hobie catamaran owner out at Lake Travis recently and he highly recommended The Sailboat Shop out there for their great customer service but I don't know if they sell the kayak line.

Chris

Yes, you are right. The Hobie reps were unbelievably nice. When I was out on a test run, one of my drive fins bumped into something underwater (possibly tree branch/obstruction). They showed me on the spot how to handle this issue in the future. Just goes to show you how good Hobie's customer service is (**case in point MATT MILLER!).

I actually spoke to a ACK employee over the phone yesterday and explained my predicament. This weekend I will be in Austin and visit the store (have never been before).

If you don't mind Chris, let me know if The Sailboat Shop gives you a better result than ACK.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RJ
I ended up pre-ordering my TI from ACK. Despite a couple of initial bad impressions at the store I have gotten to know a few of the employees and in general my experiences have been better.
The online store is very good and shipping is fast. I have special ordered Hobie parts using their chat agent online and have had questions about parts answered quickly. I decided that they are the most convenient Dealer for me to do business with, especially because their warehouse is in Austin near the store and you can go pick up anything that is not at the store front.
I purchased a pair of cradles when I pre-ordered my TI and I'm intending to build my own cart with one of them. If you need a third cradle later for your trailer or one to make a cart I will probably have one after I get my trailer modifications figured out. I'm planning to use the pvc bunk method rather than cradles on my trailer.

I was down in Freeport last weekend after the Demo and had my Revolution 13 in salt water for the first time. I got to see dolphins for the first time from the kayak near the intercoastal canal. Sunday the wind calmed and I went out in the surf for the first time. I got out ok but flipped the kayak coming back in. I have a lot to learn.

Cheers

- chris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Buckaroo wrote:
RJ
I ended up pre-ordering my TI from ACK. Despite a couple of initial bad impressions at the store I have gotten to know a few of the employees and in general my experiences have been better.
The online store is very good and shipping is fast. I have special ordered Hobie parts using their chat agent online and have had questions about parts answered quickly. I decided that they are the most convenient Dealer for me to do business with, especially because their warehouse is in Austin near the store and you can go pick up anything that is not at the store front.
I purchased a pair of cradles when I pre-ordered my TI and I'm intending to build my own cart with one of them. If you need a third cradle later for your trailer or one to make a cart I will probably have one after I get my trailer modifications figured out. I'm planning to use the pvc bunk method rather than cradles on my trailer.

I was down in Freeport last weekend after the Demo and had my Revolution 13 in salt water for the first time. I got to see dolphins for the first time from the kayak near the intercoastal canal. Sunday the wind calmed and I went out in the surf for the first time. I got out ok but flipped the kayak coming back in. I have a lot to learn.

Cheers

- chris

Good to hear! I wasn't able to get around to getting in the store today, but will come around to it by next weekend. I am in the process of purchasing a trailex trailer and will probably go with the tri-cradle method. Let me know if you want to sell it and I will be more than happy to take that off your hands :D.

Have never been to Freeport, but one day I plan on taking a TI to Palacios/Port O'Connor for fun sailing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I attended the Austin demo day earlier this month. It was rather cool and damp, so attendance was not super high. It was better than the demo I attended last year, which had to be held at the shop because there was not enough water in the lake due to drought.

There was a published schedule of clinics, but everything was very casual. If you missed the fly fishing from a kayak clinic, you could just talk one-on-one to the guy who gave the clinic and get the same info.

The Hobie reps, as always, were very nice to talk to and had a lot of good things to say about the boats. Of course the new Tis were not there, but I had a chance to pedal a Revo with the new seat and mirage drive, and it was very nice.

As of today, a new TI is on order with ACK!

-Chris

Texas, USA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

AIChris wrote:
I attended the Austin demo day earlier this month. It was rather cool and damp, so attendance was not super high. It was better than the demo I attended last year, which had to be held at the shop because there was not enough water in the lake due to drought.

There was a published schedule of clinics, but everything was very casual. If you missed the fly fishing from a kayak clinic, you could just talk one-on-one to the guy who gave the clinic and get the same info.

The Hobie reps, as always, were very nice to talk to and had a lot of good things to say about the boats. Of course the new Tis were not there, but I had a chance to pedal a Revo with the new seat and mirage drive, and it was very nice.

As of today, a new TI is on order with ACK!

-Chris

The new seats are AMAZING! Was freaking out with how many positions/comfort settings you can set it to.