Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys, I am looking at the Revo 11s and 13s for river fishing as well as lake/saltwater use. I'm 5'11, 220lbs and currently have an Outback, which I have decided is a bit too heavy and does not track as well. I have sat in both 2015 models and while the 11 seems more appealing for rivers, it seems small for saltwater. Any input for river fishing with these two models? Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At your size I'd definitely go for the 13. It'll draw less water enabling you to go a bit shallower and unless the river is severely choked with rocks and rapids, will still be agile enough to get it done.

Do keep in mind that with the rudder up none of these Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks are going to track worth a hoot - they are designed for use with the rudder. Their paddle kayak line, however, have deeper keels towards the rear and track better in paddle mode.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was thinking about getting a Revo11 as a lightweight throw in the back kayak for vacations. Finally got the opportunity to test all of Hobie's line up at my local shops Demo days. Im 5'9 210lbs I did not like how I sat in the Revo11. Water was in my seat the entire time. Something to think about- make sure you test them both out. I did like the Revo13, but already have an Adventure. With that said, I did like the new Sport a lot- higher, dryer ride for me (used to ride an Outback) and plan on picking one up shortly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

^ I agree with Tom, go with the Revo13.

I have an Outback and Revo11, but since I am 5'8" (210lb) I fit in either pretty comfortably. I agree that the Outback is heavy but it is great for fishing out on open seas. The Revo11 on the other hand, encourages you to economize the gear you are taking with you. For example I take 4 rods when going offshore in the Outback, but only 2 when I go in the Revo11. Its not just the number of rod holders Hobie gives you, but also space and how often you want to turn around to fetch gear. The small Revo11 also has limited options for where to store a catch bag if the trunk is filled with milkcrate and bait bucket (or other gear if you don't use live bait).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Vabeach2 wrote:
I was thinking about getting a Revo11 as a lightweight throw in the back kayak for vacations. Finally got the opportunity to test all of Hobie's line up at my local shops Demo days. Im 5'9 210lbs I did not like how I sat in the Revo11. Water was in my seat the entire time.

I know the feeling. I am looking forward to testing a 2015 Revo11 to see if/how the revised seating area has resolved the puddle-butt problem :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

With the 2015 upgrades, the seat is high (and comfortable) and the drain keeps things dry. I like the idea of drawing less water and floating higher than the the 11, but I would think the extra two feet would make it unstable when crossing over fast water to get to eddies.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What kind of saltwater use did you have in mind?
Both Revo models are awesome for busting through the surf on the way out.
I noticed when beach landing in surf however, that the Revo13 surfed in better than the Revo11 (bow was a bit higher and looked more stable).

As you can tell, I have no input/experience regarding the river part of your query.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Jcanracer,
Not as much saltwater as it sounds, I would fish Jamacia Bay in NY, occasional trip around sandy hook nj and parts of the Chesapeake. I'm in eastern pa so I mostly fish lakes, the Delaware river and the Susquehanna river.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Revo 13 is your boat, if not the new 16.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Tom, you sound like you have a lot of river experience? While the length seems a little excessive for rivers, I do like the idea of the extra stability and the fish finder mount already available. While the boat is thinner at 28.5 and the new seats seem higher, I have been unable to find anything online of the 13 flipping (not including surf).