Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I always leave the mount in the down position and flip up my Suzuki 2.5.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I too have a 2.5 Suzuki 4 stroke (Self contained fuel supply) and leave the motor flipped up and the Cheetah bar down. when it is up (as I have it installed) I have a problem with the raised rudder cross bar.
I did get excellent assistance from the Cheetah manufacturer.

BTW, you MUST get the bar for the Getaway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So, I found the aluminum rod that the cam rotates on got bent by the motor bouncing against the motor mount. No problem, I replaced it with a galvanized bolt and locking nut.
2 of the screws that hold the bottom plate on, loosened and are somewhere in Lake Michigan. Replaced them. Should Locktite them in place I think.
I use a bungee, 18" I think, hooked to the bottom plate and wrapped up around the Cheata arm to hold it down and not bounce.
Now, I don't pivot the Cheata arm up. I leave it down, and pivot the Torqeedo up, using it's installed pin and lock. I put a bungee around the skeg and hook it to the Cheata bottom plate to keep the motor from bouncing. So far, so good.
I also use a bungee around the tiller arm of the Torqeedo to hold it horizontal so the tiller crossbar doesn't hit the motor. Still working on a better solution.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am looking to install the Cheata on my new to me Getaway. Thank you all for this thread and the photos. I still have a couple questions, though and thought I'd ask.

The Cheata I received isn't like the ones in the photos (not surprising as this is 2014 not 2006). My upper brackets have half holes and countersinks. Now this may have been a convenience to the manufacturer and the full bracket is used on some other boat, but I found it interesting that the half hole is perfectly trapped by positioning the bracket under one of the rope lacing pins in the back of the crossbar. Anyone know if I'm supposed to use it that way? I don't think the holes would align vertically if I were to install it that way...but I sure wish the instructions said something ...

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Contact Cheatah, they are very helpful. I spoke with Peter for quite some time when I was trying to sort mine out. This is a snippet from his post on the previous page of this thread:

This is a general message to with questions about the Cheata Outboard Motor Bracket for Getaway and all small catamarans. My name is Peter Carras the designer and owner of the company. If you have any questions, I will be happy to help in any way. Please contact me at [email protected] and if necessay I will also give you my cell phone if we need to talk in more detail. I also have a mini web site: www.cheatabrackets.com

Also, here's a link to photos of my setup:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100085529 ... 011469021/

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I spoke with Peter (Cheata) this morning and think I have the ideas I need. 1) Those half circle cutouts on the small bracket are NOT supposed to be mounted under the rope router. Peter said he started putting that in so folks don't overtorque the bracket when installing it. 2) The mount cannot be installed in the center of the rear crossbeam UNLESS you take the time/effort to grind out clearance for the stainless mounting plate and rivets that Hobie puts there for the mainsheet mount. That's OK for me since I wasn't planning on putting it in the center anyway. I want some distance so I can easily use the pull cord on a gas engine (assuming I get a gas engine). I don't want to be fighting the mainsheet.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II