Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Last march I posted a question about blister repairs and got a quick reply. Thank you for that. After a lot of reading on the net, I soon realized I had a lot of work to do. I had to take the sides of each hull down past the gel coat and outskin right to the mat. The tops I took off most of the gel coat. This was all done with a belt sander and 36 grit paper. I did have some mat to repair and a soft spot on the top of one hull. I decided to go with West Systems epoxy for all of my repairs and also to cover each hull instead of gelcoat. The epoxy was great to work with and had no order.
It took 2 1/2 gals of that to finish the job. The soft spot got drilled with 1/8 holes and then epoxy with a styrene. After all repairs were done each side got 9 coats and the tops got five. This took 37hrs straight because if the epoxy cured between coats, I would have to sand it. I went with only 45min sleep between each coating. I then had to sand smooth with 220 and sprayed two coats of epoxy primer. When cured, I sanded them with 320 and used Blue Water Marine paint two part urethane top coat, Signal Green. I hope I've made the right choices with the products I've used. The project took me 2 months of every night and weekend. I do have an impefections here and there but they're hard to see. I found a sail on ebay to match the color green with purple and blue.
She now looks BEAUTIFUL!!! I rigged her 3 time in the driveway last weekend to work out all of my bugs at steping the mast and hoisting the sails. (This is my first 16.) I christened her there on Sunday, The Green Lightning. (I used a bottle of red wine I got from a girlfriend for xmass and smashed it off of the Dolphin striker.)
Tomorrow morning, almost a week later, is her maiden voyage. We set sail out of Lake Aurther, just the two of us, me and her. New skins, new captain, I know we're going to have fun!! Ahhhhhh Beautiful.........

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

buxtons wrote:
Last march I posted a question about blister repairs and got a quick reply.
(snip)
Ahhhhhh Beautiful.........

WOW! That was a lot of work! Hopefully you took lots of pictures to post here? 8)~

Have fun broly. :)