Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, All. Are there A,B,or C fleets within any Hobie Class besides the 16s? If so, how are they determined?
Todd Craig H20

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At most regattas there are not enough boats to separate the classes and meet the minimum class requirements so all fleets run together. I've been at races where they started everything but the F18s together and ranked them by boat type. Very little talk of a,b and c fleets. Ask this question on catsailor.com for the best answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was curious about ranking as much as breaking up fleets in any particular race. The class association/division bylaws have fairly elaborate rules about performance and participation in "points regattas" over an entire season. These factors are used to determine whether an individual is in an a,b or c fleet. They discuss how someone moves up or down between fleets. I haven't seen results from any event that list multiple fleets for anything but Hobie 16s, nor have I seen division or regional rankings that suggests multiple fleets are being used. I don't have any particular reason for being concerned about my fleet status, I was just curious about how it worked and thought it would be nice if it was clearly spelled out somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is pretty much a mute point in recent years sheerly do to participation numbers.

As you've eluded there is the percentage system (at the end of season upper 20% moves to A, lower 50% back to B) or the regatta wins system B to A = two (2) firsts, or one (1) first and two (2) seconds.

Most Divisions award or record Points for B and C fleet competitors at a reduced percentage using a fleet factor, like 33% for B and 15% for C.

I can't tell you exactly where these methods originated but is the same as it was back in the 70's.

By the way, the 20 class is typically scored as all A fleet, as it is not perceived as an entry level class, such as 16 or 14.

Post subject: Fleets
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

Midwinters West 2006 saw A, B and C fleets for the Hobie 16.

28 A Fleeters
11 B Fleeters
2 C Fleeters

As I recall when I started racing... If you won C or B you moved up. Or there was a combination of 2nds or 3rds that would do it. I recall a A, B, C and Novice fleet era with as many as 50 boats in Novice too. That was when we had 300-400 boat regattas in the early 80's.

The split fleets and different starts were a good thing regardless of the total size of each. Good for the good guys and the beginners. Clear sailing if you were an A fleeter and a chance for a trophy when a beginner.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So I guess the short answer is - there are only multiple fleets for the 16s, but multiple fleets could be applied to other fleets in the future if anyone felt there was a need. Thanks all and I hope to see you on the water next year.
Todd
H20

Post subject: Re: Fleets
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Midwinters West 2006 saw A, B and C fleets for the Hobie 16.

28 A Fleeters
11 B Fleeters
2 C Fleeters

As I recall when I started racing... If you won C or B you moved up. Or there was a combination of 2nds or 3rds that would do it. I recall a A, B, C and Novice fleet era with as many as 50 boats in Novice too. That was when we had 300-400 boat regattas in the early 80's.

It was the good old days when a regular, run of the mill regatta was guaranteed to have 100+ boats show up. The 16s had A, B, C and novice fleets, the 18s had two fleets and the 17s had a light and heavy class. The Midwinters had so many boats we took over the town for a week. Can you still get Coco Locos at the place on the north end of town?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Todd Craig wrote:
So I guess the short answer is - there are only multiple fleets for the 16s, but multiple fleets could be applied to other fleets in the future if anyone felt there was a need. Thanks all and I hope to see you on the water next year.
Todd
H20

Well, Fleet 84 (Des Moines) did a nice thing for last years Div 7 Champs. They split the 20 fleet results and awarded gold and silver fleet trophies. Still scored the same on points, but gave the lower half of the fleet a chance for trophies and since there was an odd number of boats and no one knew which way the split would go you couldn't sandbag.

Those Div. 7 guys are always thinking. :)

It'd be awesome to get the 20 fleet numbers up there and have some consideration to split them. NCAC saw (17) boats, Div. 7 champs (13), Mid-America's & Tulsa had (14) in 2006.

Hope to see you, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In Div 14 we have had different numbers of fleets in different class's. The fleets are usally decided by the competiors in conjunction with the PRO and race committee. We normally have multiple classes in H16, sometimes in H18,and sometimes in H20. I attended the Div 7 race where there was an unofficial silver fleet and it seemed a great idea. We the Div 14 leadership have it up for discussion for the 2007 season. Look forward to hearing from others. Happy sailing Tom