Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

guess it didn't. i received email with nomad parts list on sale
from Bo Williams <[email protected]>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Dave:

Got my Getaway in early September (wonderful, wild sail in 30+knot gusts for the September long week-end -> yeehaa!). For even more fun, I decided to add the spinnaker kit - which just arrived from Hobie today.

After finding this forum when looking for info on how to install, I see that you have written an instruction list. Unfortunately, the link is no longer working (past the 30 days).

Would you mind re-posting your instructions? I'm eager to get the kit installed soon (though I will have to wait until the lake water gets soft to actually fly the spin...).

Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Tom :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I e mailed you a copy as well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

old post, but still relevant. I just ordered the spinnaker for my hobie 16.
IT's here - and it's SCAREY.

Someone above said "it's not a big seller so we haven't made instructions?"

I've not ordered one for years (put it off) because it's intimidating. I read about the lack of installation instructions and - WELL THAT WHY ITS NOT A BIG SELLER.

I love hobie products, but their instructions and promo - "SUCKS"

Hobie 16's where EVERYWERE I went in the 70's and early 80's. Now I don't see them anywhere. WHY?

I purchased 3 used boats. (H16's) NOT one of the 3 different people I bought them from knew how to really rig theirs. EACH was rigged differently! And each was wrong I later discovered. I really found no good instructions on rigging and mainly learned it myself through trial and error and luckily each of the 3 boats had at least one little part that was rigged right, so between the correct part on each of the three boat I figured it out.

IF PEOPLE THAT OWN THESE BOATS CAN'T LEARN TO RIG THEM THEY WON'T BE POPULAR.

So 1700.00 for a spinnaker... I finally took the chance. And my dealer said there would be english instructions. (though I heard rumor they would be in French)
SURE NUF - one sheet of french instructions XEROX'ed with MUDDY DARK PICTURES (few like 2?) and the instructions are of little to no help.

WHAT IS IT WITH HOBIE? Does anyone have good photos of a H16 installed spinnaker?

If I had photos I would host a site to share them. I run a server that hosts many websites. Let me help by posting the photos that may be out there to help other hobie folks!

[email protected]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Matt or Jacques!
Why don't you buy OttawaDave's instruction manual and post it on the Hobie website, and include it with the spinnaker? It is about a million times better than the single page fuzzy copy that came with my $1680 spinnaker kit!
In the meantime, I saved a pdf copy of O'Dave's instructions (thanks again Dave! I owe you a case of your favorite beer!) that I'll forward to anyone who wants it.
Bob Peterson

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OttawaDave wrote:
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the pictures. I am going to create spinnaker installation instructions for the Getaway, so all these pictures are very useful.
Thanks,
...Dave

What is the progress on this?

The first item that needs to be cleared up it the placement of the halyard on the mast. The measurement provided for the Hobie 16 is not correct for a Getaway.

The sail is designed for the Hobie 16 ISP (deck to maximum hoist) and JSP (Tack to front of mast). The JSP is set by the Spinnaker Pole so that is not an issue. What is needed is the correct ISP to place the Spinnaker Halyard block correctly and the correct placement for the Spinnaker sheet blocks.

The correct ISP is found in the Hobie 16 Class rules:
5. The head of the spinnaker shall not be hoisted higher than 6865 mm from the base of the extrusion. At the halyard block or keeper the bearing surface of the halyard shall be no more than 70 mm from the surface of the mast. For the purposes of measurement, the halyard shall be pulled tight to the tack fitting.

If you measure from the tang on the Getaway mast using the Hobie 16 measurements the Spinnaker Halyard will be about 8" to low (The Tang to Base measurement on a H16 is 18'. The Getaway is 17'4")

Measure up from the bottom of the mast extrusion 22' 6.275" (6865mm) to place the top of the sheeve inside the Spinnaker Halyard Block. This and the fixed length of the pole will set the luff of the Spinnaker correctly for a Getaway.

I'll measure a 16 to get a sheet block location when I rig my 16's and add that information also.

Cheers,
Randy

(Ex-rigger) :-)

-2013 H16 #1`13780
-2014 Getaway w/wings,spinnaker,& trapeze

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is some of the confusion available from the Hobie Site:

http://static.hobiecat.com/item_attachments/20999020z52.pdf

The new sail does not allow the halyard to be rigged as shown. It cannot be passed though the sail. There is no detail on how the end of the halyard attaches to the sail. It appears to end at the top dowsing patch but there is no way to secure it there.
The mast tang dimensions may be correct for a 16, they are wrong for a Getaway.
This instruction shows the Spinnaker Sheet blocks at the *FRONT* corner of the trampoline of a H16.
This instruction shows the Spinnaker Halyard cam cleat and lower halyard block mounted on the fron cross beam 120mm to starboard of the mast base. This moves the halyard running up the mast off center and will allow the halyard tension to vary from one gybe to the other as the mast rotates and the shroud tension changes.

http://static.hobiecat.com/item_attachments/20999000z52.pdf

This one has instructions for 16's, 18's, and 20/21's but not the Getaway
This instruction shows the Spinnaker Sheet blocks on the side rail close to the *AFT* corner of the trampoline of a H16. One of these instruction has to be wrong.
This instruction shows the spinnaker halyard base block mounted to the spinnaker pole rather than the front cross beam. this keeps the halyard on centre and the tension should not change as the boat gybes. I think this is better.
This instruction shows the spinnaker halyard cam cleat mounted to starboard on the front cross beam in line with the hiking strap (much farther than 120mm).

If Hobie is going to create an instruction sheet for the Getaway these contradictions should be resolved.

Randy

-2013 H16 #1`13780

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Today's update.

First a HUGE thank you to John L for sending me the user created installation guide!

I don't think the dimension for the spinnaker halyard tang listed in any of the instructions is correct. The sail is designed to have a hoist of 6865mm from the bottom of the mast extrusion (joint between mast base and tube). This places the *top* of the pulley 1620mm above the center of the lower hole in the existing shroud tang. 1620mm is 63.779 inches. Where the tang fits is above this and exact placement depends on the block and shackle used. The kit does not provide a swivel block for the halyard. IMO a swivel block is a requirement in this location.

Looking at how the European H16's are rigged the new H16 spinnakers sheet at the front corner of the trampoline as shown in the diagram. For the Getaway using the lowest hole on the shroud adjusters is probably close enough and has the benefit of no having to drill more holes.

More to follow.

Randy

-2013 H16 #1`13780

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I may have some pix of mine. If you need them. I rigged it up on my own using a
Nomad 17 a-spin maybe not flat enough but still fun..I used hobie snuffer mid pole..
and double ratchets, autos for sheets..continuous halyard downhaul line also pulls
tack line out on pole. works well any problems due to pilot error usually, Doug

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Got it installed. Installing the halyard block to match the height on the H16 mast worked out perfectly. With the head at the mast and the tack at the end of the pole the spinnaker luff is just taught. Just like it should be.

Got the boat out today single-handing in about 10 knots (one or two whitecaps) and putting the chute up was a hoot! Trims very nicely with the rachet block at the shroud and I did a gybe just to see if I could by myself. The dowse was almost uneventful ... I neglected the alsck in the lazy sheet and it dropped under the bow ... :-(

I rehoisted then let the boat take care of herself while I went forward to clear the sheet ... Dowse II was perfect. I like the system it works exactly as it should and the boat became lively ...

I'll go through my photos and post some with captions soon ... might not be right away ... I have a new boat to sail!

:-D

-2013 H16 #1`13780

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Randy,
Glad you are up and running under spin...
Always a pleasure to help out another sailor.
I would not be where I am today without the help of countless others who guided/coached/instructed/cajoled me.

Swivel block? do you have a bail?

good winds..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

To insure full hoist on the Hobie 16 Spinnaker when used on a Hobie Getaway the top of the sheeve should be 6865mm from the bottom of the mast extrusion. Measure this from the joint between the mast step casting and the mast up to 6865mm (22ft 6.27in). The actual placement of the tang will depend on the block and shackle you use for the halyard.

*Note* The dimension on the instruction sheet is for a Hobie 16 and is too low on the mast for the sail to hoisted completely.

-2013 H16 #1`13780

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I put the spinnaker halyard swivel cam cleat on the front cross bar about inline with the hiking strap. This puts it just inside the anti-tangle shock cord.

I mounted the halyard turning block on the spinnaker pole. This keeps the halyard close to the mast base and holds the adjustment the same when the mast tilts to port or starboard after a gybe.

I chose to lash the spinnaker sheet turning blocks to the eye straps for the jib sheet and anti-tangle shock cord. Fewer holes drilled the cross beam is better IMO.

The mount for the spinnaker pole needs to be bent to fit the curve of the from cross beam.

I used one of the existing holes in the pole to mount an eye strap for the pole support.

I used Spectra lashings for the support guy wires. The port wire has to come off so the pole will clear the mast support on the trailer. The starboard wire can stay lashed.

I'm working on a solution to support the pole close under the furling drum without distorting the front bridle. Tying to the bridle wires will cause them to fail at the end of the swag. A SS bail that uses the bridle pins would take the load off the wire terminals.

-2013 H16 #1`13780

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is what it looks like at about 14knots. Photo by Richard Spindler (Lat 38) as we sailed past his 65 foot Cruising Cat. Great fun sailing faster than the waves and surfing as much as you want.

-2013 H16 #1`13780

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Easier said than done, I just had it installed by the local Dealer in Austin, Texas. To many headaches and i'd rather spend my time sailing.

Howdy from South Texas,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next