Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I currently have a 2013 oasis and plan to move to a tandem island in 2015. I also might be moving to Omaha, the sailing capital of America.... :D .... is there anywhere near Omaha that a tandem island could be enjoyed for sailing that anyone knows? I know little about the area from a water sports perspective. Bob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello, Bob from another Bob

Check with NE parks and wildlife for their brochure on the I-80 lakes that are strung from one end of I-80 to the other. Easy access from Omaha. Outstanding brochure with descriptions on lake sizes from a couple-dozen acres to a couple thousand, boat ramps, camping facilities, etc.

Oldguysrule (Colorado)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Bob,

I am patiently awaiting spring to take out my new Tandem Island. There are several sailing locations here in the Omaha area. It just really depends on where you settle to figure out what is closest. Lake Cunningham is in North Omaha. Lake Manawa is just across the river in Iowa. Branched Oak State Rec Area is about 45 minutes away out near Lincoln as is Pawnee State Rec Area. There are couple of other smaller lakes scattered throughout the city (Lake Zorinsky, Chalco Hills, etc.), most however are just flooded gullies that still harbor trees (makes sailing kind of difficult). I know I will be looking for other AI/TI folks in the local area when it warms up and we start getting out on the water.

Mike

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There's only maybe 10 lakes (smiles) in the immediate Omaha area, plus just as many out near Lincoln. Nearly all Omaha lakes have boat ramps, which is nice for trailered islanders. Plus Nebraska is known for wind. There are also three rivers in the immediate area. Although the Platte and the Elkhorn rivers are not suitable for sailing (too many sandbars), they do make for great kayaking. The Missouri River is different, being deeper with no sandbars. All three have fairly strong to strong currents though, so put-in and take-out will be in different locations.

I have an Outback and am upgrading to a Revo 13. I regularly set out with my friend Joe, who has a Tandem Islander he transports by trailer on the back of his motorcycle. He'd love to get in touch with you sometime since he wants to get a local Tandem Islander club together soon. Look him up on FaceBook at <https://www.facebook.com/joe.garcia.3194?fref=ts>.

And I also have an acquaintance (could that be you, Mike?) who just purchased an Islander this month from Omaha's local Hobie Dealer "Select Sail & Sports". Hobies were rare in Omaha when I bought my Outback 7 years ago, but lately the numbers have been climbing, along with the rest of the Omaha kayaking community.

Here's hoping we meet sometime on one of the lakes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep that's me. My middle name is Thomas (hence the Ti_Tom), but I go by my first name a lot (Mike). I've been married so long that I go by whatever is yelled at me ;).

I actually purchased it all the way back in August and have been "patiently" waiting ever since. I actually made it out to the boat show this last weekend and got to put my hands on the new TI. I don't know if it made the waiting worse or not :).

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That TI was nice but once I saw the PA17t the TI took a back seat. As the others said there tons of lakes/ponds in Omaha I mostly stay at Walnut Creek, Chalco, and the little ponds in my neighborhood (Lakewood Villages) so the TI will wait till I move back to bigger water. So the 17t was the best answer for my family. But I have the sail kit from my outfitter (for sale soon) so I could act like a TI maybe make a schooner (sp?) and put two sails on.

Mike we still need to get coffee, with the new building crap I have just been super busy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Defy wrote:
Mike we still need to get coffee, with the new building crap I have just been super busy.

I do coffee just about every morning around 0830/0900, just let me know. :D

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PA17T is in the garage lets get the lakes unfrozen and have a meet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Definitely!

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Motobob,

We look forward to having you here. Sailing here is not like sailing chesapeake bay, but it is still fun. I spent 2 tours in Fairfax County...
I have sailed a TI on almost all the lakes around here. Some I love, some I hate. my primary lakes are Lake Cunningham, Standing Bear Lake, and Lake Zorinski. Chalco and walnut creek and Lake Manawa are also fun. my absolute favorite lake is Branched Oak Lake, north of Lincoln. Load the hull up with camping gear, hitch her up to the bike, and roll down on a Friday afternoon. set up camp. dock the kayak for the weekend with the big boy boats. get up early saturday and just spend the day sailing. have lunch at the marina, dinner at camp. Go back out for a late night sail. watching the stars from the lake, or the lighning getting closer. its just a beautiful place to be.

Defy...Please Post Pics
And we Will have a Hobie Island Club this year

2016 Tandem Island on a Trailex Aluminum trailer being towed by a
Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All i got so far maybe this weekend i'll rig it up. Need to get a battery for the fish finder.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice!

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A great area to check out north of Omaha a bit is Lewis and Clark Lake in Yankton, SD. A bunch of us sail Hobie 16's up here. 14 miles of river to sail up before hitting some shallower, running water and much of the area is nearly a mile wide.

-2012 Seabird Design Expedition LV
-1987 Hobie 16
-2010 Stellar SES
-Hobie Fleet 291 Yankton, SD
-South Dakota Canoe and Kayak Association

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've heard of it. It's a bit of a trek but we might check it out on a long weekend sometime. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Defy....regarding your PA-17 on the trailer photo......Something to consider with your new Hobie set up.

I ended up making several changes during the first 3 months of use, based on my experience with my "smaller" PA-14 that I launch and recover "solo", on my Hobie Trailex trailer.

Once the PA is loaded up with seat, tackle, anchor, battery, etc, etc it gains several pounds.
Because the trailer axle is very far aft, I ended up moving the axle forward by 24" to make backing easier and reduce the tongue weight....my tongue weight was 110#'s after I a 600# capacity winch, spare tire and "3rd. wheel" mounted aft of the coupler. I needed a "3rd wheel" on the tongue end, to save my back while maneuvering the rig, in my garage once off the hitch.
Moving the axle decreased the tongue weight to 70#'s.....

I added the winch as one of my favorite fishing lakes has a steep ramp and pulling the loaded PA back "uphill" on to the trailer was a pain due to the weight. In addition, I did not want to submerge the axle as the wheel axle hubs do not have "bearing buddys"..... I backed the trailer in the water until it covered the lower side of the tire by 5"....it's where the tire and steel wheel meet and the axle is still out of the water.

Good luck and enjoy your new PA-17....these PA's are excellent fishing platforms!