Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sailing in Los Angeles
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently tried sailing while on a trip to Mexico and got addicted to the sport. I'm looking to buy a Hobie Wave to practice more in LA. Has anybody know if LA, Santa Monica, Malibu, Venice beach, Marina del Rey is a good place to practice the sport?

If any of you practice the sport in LA already, where is the best place to store it? or launch it out of?

Thank you much for your help!

Lalo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

Try contacting the regional rep for the Hobie Class Association.

http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/default ... 0817/3027/

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm actually visiting in the long beach area right now through the weekend 11/30/14. I sail a Hobie 16 and a 20. The weather is amazing! Anyone going sailing? Have a Hobie in the area I can sail ( very carefully ) ??
Tim
901-832-7081

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I understand that Marina Del Ray yacht Club has a pretty good sized Hobie Wave group. txt Gordo 702-427-7328 to get more information as he knows those guys and is a Wave guy also.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Lalo, Am keeping my eye on used Waves for sale. There is one in Santa Cruz and another in Santa Rosa. Used Waves go for about 2-3G if in reasonably good condition. Newer models go for more, but don't let that bother you. I prefer the older models. Anyhow, I know the one in Santa Cruz is firm at 2795. The one in Santa Rosa is 3500 and has trailer and a bunch of extras. If you get with Team Windtoys, they'll tell you more about it (it is winter and they are motivated so negotiate). If you get a Wave, keep in mind we have a pretty fun racing program going on Waves now and have numerous primo venues to meet up and race. Great bunch.

I'm at Lake Mead/Mohave, Nevada. Xanderwess gave you the right phone number, call anytime.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

launching in LA, Hmmm. Claremont Ramp Long Beach off Ocean by Alamitos Bay. You'll need beach wheels of some sort. Never been to Mother's Beach, Marina Del Rey but planning a visit soon to look it over for possible racing venue nearby at Venice or somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I contacted Karen Christensen listed for Long Beach CA. She informed me that herself and her husband haven't sailed a Hobie Cat in 25 years......suggested that I head over to West Marine store to see if any of those guys knew anyone.... Might want to update the contacts on the Hcana website for currently active members. I hear there are cat sailors in the area but I only saw one on a Nacra f18. Other than a getaway I was able to rent I didn't see any Hobie cat activity. Odd.

Memphis, TN fleet 134

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well, to be frank, and I'm not sure why, it does appear that the Hobie Fleet in that area does not seem, at least from what I've observed, to have an active board or schedule of activities. However, several who hail from the area do race in Hobiecat regattas. It could simply be that they don't care to maintain a fleet for get togethers of people who sail Hobiecats recreationally. If she is the same Karen I know, she does crew for at least one, or more, elite Hobiecat racers. That would probably be the extent of her partipation in the sport. Recreational activiity seems out of effect on much of the So. California coast when it comes to chartered Hobie Fleets. This probably renders Fleet 3 defunct, unless a small group of Hobiecat sailors were to reactivate the charter and begin an active fleet. Your word 'odd' is the way I've thought of it many times as well, since I am associated with a very active and functioning fleet in Southern Nevada.

If I were to guess why the state of affairs there are as you see them, well, could be largely due to the closing off of much of what was great catamaran sailing venues. Also, the high cost of permitting venues out for events. It could also be due to some stigma attached to Hobie sailors from the early days when the culture was pretty rambunctious. There are probably too many causes to mention. Over here on the Colorado Lakes there is much less control and lots of places to put in and have a great time, but one thing is for certain. The catamaran sailing community has dwindled very dramatically over the past 15 to 20 years. So has sailing in general. I think the Hobie Class Association does a fabulous job of managing one of the largest one design racing organizations in the world. That is something to think about and if you want to be around other like minded, well, sort of like minded as we are all different, then you'll have a predictable and stable list of events and venues to join in the fun. I did that in 2002 and though year by year a few changes occur, it still remains a solid group of dedicated Hobie sailors. For the event schedule, you can see hobiedivision2.com, or look on hcana.hobieclass.com. Most of the schedule should be up soon. Division 2 starts out with events here in Arizona (Lk Havasu), Nevada (Lk Mohave), Rocky Point, MX (Cinco de Mayo), Utah (Sand Hollow Reservoir), then moves to Alamitos Bay Yacht Club (several events), San Diego Bay, Santa Barbara and final events in Arrowhead, Big Bear and back to Rocky Point for the Pinata Regatta. Kind of brief, but anyway, hope to see you at some of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

FWIW we're building Fleet 134 back up.... 6 active H16 guys, 2x H20's, 2x H17's and Damon Linkous on his H18. North MS. We do pretty much all the regattas in the gulf around Ocean Springs MS to Navarre Beach FL..... unfortunately all but Hobie mid winters are open class. The remaining cat sailors around here are spread out on every kind of beach cat imaginable, mostly 80's Hobie 16's. Boats over $2000 are out of the question for 95% of the sailors i know so i've been scrounging up Hobie 16's on craigslist for $500-$1000 fixing them up and then once they see how fun it is they buy 'em from me at cost +$100...

Maybe we can have some huge regattas splitting the distance in travel somewhere since the individual pockets seem to be dying??

I've actually looked at buying a hobie wave as they look super fun and light! There's a bunch in Ocean Springs, Should be a good fleet near Marina DelRay!

I thought LA was the holy grail of Hobie sailing...... What a bummer. I started way too late!

Memphis, TN fleet 134

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I sympathize with those who find it hard to get a boat because of the so called 'recovering economy'. What you're doing is laudible and there are others doing variations on the same theme. As for me, am pretty focused on the Wave for several reasons, and the fact that I was lucky to get one for a super bargain. They're out there from time to time, but a good used Wave goes for about 3G's and the newer ones for more. Brand new over 6G's. 2 years ago no Wave racing here. Last year 15 people raced Waves at 7 events in Division 2. This year I bet we get over 20 and have Waves at almost every event. Am always looking for them so let me know if you find any bargains and we've got buyers here in southern Nevada. They're amazingly easy to replace major parts like the mast, crossbars and rudder assy's. Make sure the hulls are not breached and bridle connections are solid. If so, they are the most durable catamaran around. call or text 702-427-7328

There are 7 Waves in Marina Del Rey evidently all in need of renovation. Am planning a visit there in near future. Most other Wave owners there are spread out up and down the coastal region while on the other hand they have 9 all new at Lake Arrowhead up in the San Bernardino Mtns.