It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Renew old hobie wave or buy a new one ?
Renew 62%  62%  [ 8 ]
Buy new one 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 13
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got a 98 wave. Mast its ok, hulls ,ruddles and trampoline too. But I want to change the trampoline for a club one.

Broken or missing parts :
:!: Sail, cables, ropes and other small parts.

My question its worth to renew it and buy all those parts? Here in Puerto Rico its like $5,800 for a new one.

If the answer is yes. Its there any store online where I can fing good prices :?:

Thanks for your time in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just went thru this this spring...

I picked "buy a new one" for three reasons:

1.) resale value of your 98 is very good to excellent because there are so few used ones on the market.
2.) It helps our class numbers grow, which helps spread Wave love:>
3.) The better tramp is well worth the upgrade. The whole boat is MUCH tighter, hulls don't "walk" like with old tramp.

You will still have some work to do on the new one, especially if you change out new style rudders for old, but new boat maintenance seems to end quicker which gets you sailing faster.

Mimi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mimi Appel wrote:
You will still have some work to do on the new one, especially if you change out new style rudders for old
Mimi

Please don't be misleading anyone that they should go to the expense and trouble of replacing the EZ Lock rudders with the old obsolete style rudders. That's ridiculous! The new design is much better and maintenance-free.

For a light-wind situation, which is unlikely in Puerto Rico, he can easily add a tiller extension on the crossbar to sit further forward, if he wants. And if he does get the opportunity to race it, both the IHCA and IWCA will (probably) soon be legalizing tiller extensions for racing, so there's no reason for spending big bucks to down-grade a new boat.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Last edited by IndyWave on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your problem is that you can't convert to a club trampoline. Before 2001 the boats were either Classic (three hooks on the inner hull to hold the trampoline) or Club (tramp track down the inside of each hull). As Matt Miller has pointed out on this forum you can't install the track if you don't have it. After 2001 all the boats had the track and the hooks for the classic went inside the track.

So if you want the club trampoline you have to buy another boat.

My boat started out in life as a classic but it's a 2004 so I could replace the tramp.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

IndyWave wrote:
Mimi Appel wrote:
You will still have some work to do on the new one, especially if you change out new style rudders for old
Mimi

Please don't be misleading anyone that they should go to the expense and trouble of replacing the EZ Lock rudders with the old obsolete style rudders. That's ridiculous! The new design is much better and maintenance-free.

Hi Jack,

Just curious...What kind of rudders do you have on your boats?

Mimi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have EZ Locs on my own boat, and love them (with my tiller extensions). I would never go back to the old, obsolete style.

When I go to Florida each February, my condo has Waves with the obsolete style rudders/tillers. The longer tiller arms are nice for light air days when I sail solo; but most days are pretty breezy, and I often give rides to others, so the extra length is usually a non-issue. But each year, we have to replace the cams and rebuild the mechanisms, due to all the abuse the boats get throughout the year.

I've read some comments that since the EZ Loc rudders are thinner, the old style is better; but I've never understood how that matters. Has anyone ever actually broken an EZ Loc rudder while sailing a Wave?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How much will be to renew it ?
:?:

Thanks for your answers... :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

IndyWave wrote:
I've read some comments that since the EZ Loc rudders are thinner, the old style is better; but I've never understood how that matters. Has anyone ever actually broken an EZ Loc rudder while sailing a Wave?

The biggest problem with the EZ Locs for racing is that they are made in a mold and most have a slight curve (left or right...I forget).

That causes the boat to have weather helm on on one tack and lee helm on the other.

Trust me, there is a difference, but it is slight. In close racing, that can be a big difference, however.

That can certainly give you a psychological edge if nothing else. It is just one less thing to worry about if you are slow.

Wave #100
H20 #287 "Tallahassee Lassie" (down in FLA)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I selected renew simply because of the eye watering cost to buy a new one in New Zealand
To answer the question how much:

I have made a spreadsheet using the wave diagram of all the part numbers I think I need to get the boat to close to new. I went to backyardboats.com and simply created a shopping list to cost it all out.

I will buy the bits as funds allow (I have to fly under the wifes expense tracking radar). Just now Ive ordered some fittings and a new rudder. I shattered the bottom casting of my old style rudder at the weekend.
Next on the list is a complete set of standing rigging & I will take the opportunity to get a club style set up w. shroud adjusters. Then hopefully a new sail as Ive already torn and repaired the (presumably) 15 year old one I am using.

Unfortunately in NZ we are not well serviced, so I must buy from your part of the world. I gringe with envy when I read posts about how little you have to pay for new / used cats!
Does anybody know of a good online store, many will not ship outside of the US / Canada? I like these guys:
http://www.backyardboats.com/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a Wave that, as I am told, started its life as a resort boat. The previous owner made it sound as if it was perfect and ready to go. The deeper I dig, the further from the truth that seems to be. I have replaced nearly every rivet, took apart the rudder castings( to find that one of the spring tensioning screws is bonded to the casting), needing new seat pads and the obligatory reseal of the access ports under the seat, new lock cams in the castings, possible a new lower casting, and likely for peace of mind all new stainless hardware bolts. Also, screws that hold the pintles in place have snapped off leaving me to to find a solution to hold the pintles on. Good thing its coming into winter for a project. I purchased the boat with a good sail and lines for $1800, if I'm $2500 deep all said and done, is this still a good deal. I intend to get the boat as close to perfect and new as possible.

Thanks for your help, I am far too excited to wait this winter out to get on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

While this is an older thread, it is worth chiming in for those still thinking of selling their 'Classic' model due to the loose tramp design. One sympathizes. However, if you can get a hold of the end of the year Hobie Hotline, there is a 'this old Hobie' article that provides a solution for the loose tramp problem, as well as a great collection of anecdotal suggestions to improve your Wave sailing and options and answers on the hardware issues. Compared to all the other catamarans, the Wave is by far the simplest to repair, maintain, and sail either recreationally or competitively. You can thank Matt Miller for providing insider knowledge on the Wave, as I have found his advice very useful, particularly in understanding the design and nuances of this unique boat. He also shared some valuable and humorous historical accounts. Anyway, the boat is great for sailors at all levels, even extreme adrenaline junkies like me that enjoy an afternoon on Lake Mead Nevada in 25 knots of gusty wind on the Wave (with no worries).

As for the rudder issue. Just personal experience here, but now that tillers are legal, and adjustments to the rudder assembly are allowed in lieu of 'improving fit and function', then I would definitely recommend the old setup for racing, and defer to the new for recreational use. My assembly on 'Wilson' is the standard original assembly for a '95 vintage boat. It allows me to use any HCC mfg. rudder available, which in my case are a set of the original black foam filled epoxy glass 'EPO's (hard to find - ooo!). Whether or not it improves performance is yet to be proven, but since I 'think' it does, well, then I'm not worrying about them, right? The foil on these are superior to the easy loc system, so I just defer to that as the reasoning. Mostly though, it sure won't matter what rudders I have in a race if I blow tacks, go the wrong way, hit marks, trim and steer poorly, fail to cover or otherwise just become a tactical retard, which does happen on occasion. The Wave is the fastest growing racing class in the Hobie Class Association. An effort is underway with key players to build the entire Wave program throughout North America. If you don't race, but might want to try it, jump in, the water is warm and it is just above ground floor right now, so it is a good time to start, take your lics and become a seasoned Wave racer. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Gordo, is the Hotline magazine you are referring to December 2014? I'd like to see what it has to say.
thanks
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes, though it is referred to as the 'Winter Issue'.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.hcanamembers.com/15-1WinterHOTLINE.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In the Oct/Nov 2014 issue of Cat Sailor magazine, Rick White published an article by Skip Kaub (of Noblesville, IN) which describes how to actually repair the plastic of a Wave hull properly. Skip has his own fleet of Waves, and tried various techniques to see what really works. It's not easy, but can be done. The article is on the next to last page, so you may have missed it.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"