Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hubby got me some turbo fins and a sailing rudder for my Sport for Christmas. We installed them and took it out today for a quick fishing trip. Fishing sucked, but we had fun goofing off and testing the fins. Pretty significant difference, in my opinion.

https://vimeo.com/115458878

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Get it love!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Get it!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fantastic, Niks. I put the turbos on my Revo 13 last Sunday and tried them out on an estuary. But what you have looks like you could ski behind. Well done.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It was definitely making moves out there. I've actually traded it for a blue 2014 Outback since I posted that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Niks; I got the turbo fins for my 10 year-old son's sport. He says they are great. Now about the large rudder; do you think it's worth it to put it on the sport? What are your thoughts?

For anyone else who has installed the large sailing rudder on the sport, your comments are also appreciated.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey, I'm just seeing your question! The big sailing rudder made a huge difference. The Sport is easy to navigate and turn but with the bigger rudder, I could do donuts. Seriously, I tried, and it was funny.
When I got my Outback, I upgraded to the big rudder on it as well but the difference wasn't as noticeable on it as it was on my Sport.
It's well worth the $35 (or less, depending on where you buy it) and I bet he will LOVE the change.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Lol...the bow was coming off the water. My wife saw that and wants some for hers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

timthetoolman wrote:
Lol...the bow was coming off the water. My wife saw that and wants some for hers.

If it's in the budget, then you totally should get her some. She'll love the change!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Niks. Thanks for the reply. I did order two large rudders; one for my son's sport and the other for my outback. We'll be trying them out at the lake next week.

Every time that kid looks at a better kayak or boat; it ends up costing me more money.

Last edited by Kraken Hunter on Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow are you kidding that boy is Olympic!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I actually ended up getting the 2015 Sport yesterday. So excited! Now I have to order turbo fins and the big rudder again, so I can recreate the video.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

He's not even 10 yet and amazes me every day with what he can do. He's even working toward his scuba certification after his tenth birthday in August. BTW, the pirate flag and shark's teeth are absolutely essential. Never leave port without them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I love it! My daughter is 10 but she doesn't kayak as much as we do. She has a Malibu Mini-X which is the same size as the Sport, just no pedals. I think it's awesome that your son is so into it. I can't wait until all my kids are, although it'll cost me (well, my husband lol) a ton of money. I love the pirate flag. The Sport I just got yesterday is red and I considered getting a pirate flag for it as well. :) Did you get it from ack.com?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought the flag at a Field & Stream store. It's a Yakattack flag: http://www.yakattack.us/FJR_p/fjr.htm

The pole and orange flag are the Hobie Visicarbon Pro.

The decals I got from http://military-graphics.com/

We're going camping next week and it should be warm enough to have a water gun fight on the lake. We had a couple last year. The mirage drive should give us both an advantage at being able to hose each other down. This video was taken last year after we got our first kayaks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnshh-OfkTM

You've got to get the water guns and have the "naval battles" to get the kids interested. Be prepared to get soaked a lot. I don't expect anyone to watch the entire video as it was meant for friends and family but you can see how much fun a kid can have in a kayak with a water gun.

For his birthday, last year, I got his friends and classmates together for a canoe party. The canoe livery nearby had a great group rate and everyone had fun even though the river was down and some boats ran aground. Getting a group together with the child's friends makes the experience of being on the water that more enjoyable.

I don't expect anyone to watch the entire video but go to the 5 minute mark and watch how this kid keeps a cool head when things didn't go so well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07BQF3sTDA0