Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is an inquiry for the Hawaii folks on the forum. I live on West Maui and have had my TI for a couple of years now and have enjoyed all the posts on this forum, I just haven't had much to contribute thus far. Once I figure out how to get my pictures up here I'll post some mods I made for a backup steering system, which works really well. I've been out with Kayaking Bob a few times and he has helped me tremendously with getting everything rigged up and modification ideas. (Thanks Bob!)

Anyway, I'm wanting to kayak/sail the Napali coast on the north shore of Kauai and I'm starting to plan out the logistics and figured I'd start here. I'm sure there are some people on this forum who have done it so I was hoping to get some advice and/or suggestions. I know summer is a more ideal time to do it since there's minimal winter swell and plenty of downwind trades. I feel like it can be done in one day but I'd like to camp at least one night along the way, pulling in to some beach somewhere.

So, my first question is if there are any places on Kauai that rents TI's so I don't have to ship mine over and then rent a car with a trailer. I'm also wondering about logistics with regard to where to launch, (Hanalei?) and where to end, (Barking Sands?) if I wanted to do a one-way trip.

So if there's anyone out there who has any info and can offer it up, I would greatly appreciate it. And if anyone else wants to join, by all means the more the merrier!
-robert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aloha Robert!

Great mods I saw on your TI, the last time we saw each other. Please post them, others would enjoy! Here's a post by Matt on adding pictures to forum posts: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12574

Kelly at P&P Kayaks is also the Hobie dealer on Kauai and does sail the Napali coast a couple of times each year as a group sail. He may also rent to a experienced Island sailor like you. Contact him for more info.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Bob for the info! I keep seeing your posts on the Maui sailing group list and am going to make it down south again one of these days soon. It seems we go out on the same days, except I'm just staying closer to home. I need to fix my trailer lights before I head too far away.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The trip is about 17 miles from Ke'e Beach to Barking Sands. I've not sailed it, but kayaked in a tandem a few summers ago. It is easily a single day trip since you are heading downwind. With a sail and some wind, it would be that much faster. It was easily one of the best trips I've made - at times I felt like I was in a Disney movie. There are several fantastic sea caves to explore. Technically, you may need a pass to camp on the coast and these can sell out so I would research this well in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A guy who is selling an AI on Kauai claims that it's 40 minutes to sail to Kalalau and three hours to return against the wind.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/kau/boa/4901524092.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Let me know what you find out, I'd love to do this as well but the logistics of getting my boat to Kauai are a bit prohibitive. I've got some free time this summer.
-RH, Pearl City

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey! Those are my feet in that second photo! And the first photo is taken at Miloli'i, which is well beyond Kalalau. I sailed from there all the way back to Hanalei Pier the next day.

I've been lurking here for a long time but seeing my photos posted pushed me over the edge to register. I've sailed my AI's up and down the Na Pali Coast quite a bit. Launching from Ke'e you can literally be as far as Hanakapi'ai in about 10 minutes! Sailing back against the wind is a great chance to practice your profanity. I actually owned two AI's until yesterday. I sold the one I had on Craigslist to a guy who says he's going to be on a Discovery Channel show they are shooting this summer about fishing in Hawaii. I've got another guy who wants to buy my second AI, and I just plopped down a deposit today on a 2015 Ivory Dune AI expected here at the end of March. I am hoping for a slightly drier ride, and I plan to pimp out the new kayak with some nice hakas built from cedar I have left over from building our house here on Kauai.

I sail the incomparable Na Pali Coast, where sea caves are best navigated after remembering to unstep the mast.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Hobie - do I get commission for signing up lurkers? 8)

Aloha NaPali! Looking forward to your contributions here on the forum.

You sail in a unique place. Maybe you could photo-document the trip for us sometime. Would make a great thread.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I second that. Looks beautiful

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK ... will do. Will be a fun warm-up to the summer sailing season along the Na Pali. The sea caves and landing along the Na Pali is really only possible/advisable from mid May to mid September. My wife and I are heading to NZ on vacation for the next two weeks but will work on it when I return.

I sail the incomparable Na Pali Coast, where sea caves are best navigated after remembering to unstep the mast.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to those who have provided input. It has always stuck me as a pretty ideal place to kayak, and the TI seems to be the perfect vessel to use for exploring that part of the island.

I'd love to get more info on it and start to plan accordingly, maybe even have a group field trip? It might be fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Aloha Robert, Have U found anyone willing to loan or rent a Hobie AI or TI for a Napali coast trip? What dates are U considering?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote="NOHUHU"]A guy who is selling an AI on Kauai claims that it's 40 minutes to sail to Kalalau and three hours to return against the wind.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/kau/boa/4901524092.html

Forty minutes to sail 17 miles? That is an average of over 25mph! Erm, my BS meter just broke.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

30 kt tailwind?? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hanalei,
I have not found anyone yet, but I also haven't had much time to do a lot of research. Work has kept me pretty busy as well as a trip to the mainland. I'm still hoping to make this trek but am wondering which direction to go at this point. I'll figure something out, hopefully.