Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
KayakingBob wrote:
but 7500 kilometers from Hawaii :)

Geez Bob, I converted to miles for the benefit of all the American readers.

And I to kilometers for our Aussie mates

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

And really, really far from here...but I would live to go back and sail an AI there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

dave202 wrote:
Hi All, Im sure some of you have seen my trip report to Great Keppel Island last year viewtopic.php?f=70&t=47433

This year I am thinking of either returning to the Keppels, or heading a bit further north to the Whitsundays. Has any one taken the AI or TI out for a week or two in the Whitsundays in May/June? I have sailed the area on bigger yachts but never the TI.

If anyone wants to tag along or organise a bit of an expedition, Id be up for that. The more AI/TI sailers the better 8) Post here or PM with any ideas.

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave
I'd be up for it but may not have the time this year. This is exactly what I'm looking forward to. I bought a Clark NX250 a month or so back and am keen to test it out. I have yet to do a few overnight trips on Moreton Bay first to get the feel for the concept.
Two weeks time I'm off up the Whitsundays on a 45ft bareboat charter so I'll be taking careful note for future TI trip. I'm off overseas for 7 weeks June / August but plan to give work the flick by the end of the year. You're well ahead of me on TI camping experience but hopefully I can get some time in over this year and do some extended trips next year in the first year of my retirement! and hopefully no more capsizes......
Regards
John

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Count me in at this stage Dave.

Very interested.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dave

My husband and I might me interested. Need more info though.

We live in Yamba Northern NSW

Cheers

M & G

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

we also could be interested, last year we had a trip up north, we sailed out of Cape Tribulation, Airlie Beach, Bowen, Mission Beach, Cape Hillsboriugh, all just day trips, if you are looking for a good place suggest you look at Hideaway Bay, Glouster Passage, good accommodation, if we can help, please let us know.
Lonnie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Have had this at the back of my mind for a while - though I had envisaged doing the Great Sandy Straits first. Then maybe the Keppels.

I see parking as major issue but I see there are several options at Shute Harbour. 2 council car parks and a privately run one.... the following cut & pasted from somewhere on the internet, it's out of date but I'm sure the parks would still be there. I think Shute Harbour would be a good departure point.
Any other inputs? How many are interested?

Car parking at Shute Harbour PDF Print E-mail

Thursday, 31 March 2011 00:59
Need to park your vehicle somewhere while you are camping at Whitehaven Beach or one of the many other beautiful camp sites on your Whitsunday holiday?

It is all paid parking at Shute Harbour there are three areas - Two Whitsunday Regional Shire Council operated car parks and one private facility.

The Council “ bottom” car park is an open area on the water front and right next to our departure hut, security patrol at night and the cost is $12 per 24 hour day.

The Council “top” car park is an open area on top of the hill just above the bottom car park and there is a staircase to the bottom waterfront car park, security patrol at night and the cost is $6 per 24 hour day. Extended stays attract a discount.

Reservations cannot be made for either of the council parks, but you normally will find a parking bay available.

Shute Harbour Parking and Storage - is a private facility and is a 5 to 10 minute walk from our departure hut they offer 2 options a large multistory undercover lock up car park or an open but fenced and locked area, security patrol at night and their cost is from $18 to $24 per 24 hour day.
This facility is not manned 24 hours they close at 6pm so you need to check your estimated arrival time back at Shute Harbour so that you will have access to your vehicle on your return.

Contact is: Shute Harbour Parking and Storage -07 49 469666 or go to http://www.whitsundayparking.com.au

Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT
Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Michaela wrote:
Dave

My husband and I might me interested. Need more info though.

We live in Yamba Northern NSW

Cheers

M & G

Think I might have saw you last Saturday out near the entrance to Crystal Waters.
Dune Tandem?

Had just finnished taking a friend of mine out for his maiden in his new tandem , between his , yours , and mine , that makes 3 here that I know of ;) plus a few that turn up on holidays.

Probably see you guys out there someday ;)

Cheers
Patrick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I feel so bloody lucky having such great destinations on my door step or close by. I've not been so excited (about getting my AI) since I was a teenager and rather beautiful young thing made her intentions very clear, I'll leave that story where it is for now lol :D