Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Evolve Torqeedo Problem
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,
I read these message board before, but I just registed today because the problem that I encountered while fishing last night.

I have a 2010 Outback with Evolve Torqeedo that I purchased used in July. Last night I was fishing and all of a sudden the propellar would not spin correctly. I pulled up the motor and did not see anything wrong so I put it back in the water and turned the power on and off to try to reset it. I pushed the throttle up and it would only turn slowly with some vibration. I didn't try to use the motor much after this because I didn't know what was wrong, but I tried to run it on the way back in hoping that whatever was slowing it would loosen up. That didn't work...
When I finally got back to the pier that I launched from I tried to run the motor again and it sounded like the motor was spinning internally, but the propellar was not: not good...

I got home and took the prop off and found about 3 feet of fishing line wrapped around the axel behind the propellar and the pin that makes the prop spin was slightly bent. I carefully cut the line off, but it still doesn't seem right. I'm going to do some more exploratory surgery this afternoon.

My questions:
Where can I get a new pin for the motor?
Are there any gears inside the motor that could have been stripped because of what happened?
Any other ideas of damage that could have been done and possible repairs needed?Cost?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:24 am 
Site Admin

Fishing line can cut the motor seal O ring, so I'd suggest sending it to Torqeedo before you put back in the water. Water getting into the motor is a major. Kills the electronics.

Contact info is in the manual:

Torqeedo Service Centers
North America
Torqeedo Inc.
171 Erick Street, Unit A-1
Crystal Lake, IL 60014
USA
[email protected]
T +1 – 815 – 444 88 06
F +1 – 847 – 444 88 07

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Based on a read of the owners manual, I'm thinking this type of thing is not under warranty? How does the warranty work when you buy your kayak second hand.

I don't think the original owner ever filed the paper work for the warranty...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:52 am 
Site Admin

Warranty for Hobie Made Accessories is transferable. This product is part Hobie, part Torqeedo. We build the mount systems, they cover the motor. They may have other guidelines on transfer of their warranty.

Damage from fishing line is not covered by warranty.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Shady, can you post an update? I believe I've had a similar issue with the same setup as you but might not be as lucky. My motor no longer works and appears to have water inside the casing. Sounds like it's water logged when I shake it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update: I sent it into a Torqeedo shop and they confirmed my worst fear. Fishing line evidently damaged the motor seal and allowed water in, which shorted out all the electronics. This is not covered under their warranty and will require a complete replacement of the pylon assembly. Cost to me? $750 ...ouch!! ...sigh. I'll probably just shake my fist at the sky and eat the cost since I'm still a huge fan of what this setup provides.

They should replace the error codes with "$$$" since that's really what it means.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unfortunately, outboard motors have the same issue with fishing line......the line wipes out the seals in the lower unit, contaminate the oil with water and it not fixed, worst case, can end up replacing the lower unit...not cheap either.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

alright,know this is an old post but hopefully resurrecting it will encourage some ideas......so my problem with the evolve(which i own) is that on a recent annual fishing trip to a buddies cabin i got fishing line caught in the oring seal next to the prop......$800 later i have come to the conclusion that i am not going to stop fishing with the evolve,but cant afford to take another $800 hit if this happens again,so i am determined to come up with a line cutter as %$#@ happens and will happen......after hours of searching online,ive come to the conclusion that no one has come up with a solution.....torqeedo finally came out with a line cutter,but 1st of all they want $300 for it(absolutely ridiculous)and they dont make a version for the evolve/ultralight(by the time torqeedo gets off their ass ....ill problably have taken another $800 hit.yes i know.....just be carefull,but i dont want to constantly be thinking about it......i am usually working a downrigger and a top line so after hooking up ,while getting the downrigger line out of the way sometimes the boat will spin and its too late!so i was thinking about ss scalpel blades attatched to the motor with ss cable clamps protruding an 1/8" over the prop cylinder......what do you guys think?Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:57 am 
Site Admin

Torqeedo has been working hard to improve the 403 motor system used in the eVolve mounting system. They have a fishing line solution that will appear in the next 6 months I believe. A reduced gap between prop and housing, a hardened cover over the seals to prevent line from reaching them. That and a LOT of other changes that are now current and prevent 90% or more of the issues they had a few years ago. Warranty claims are near non-existent these days... a much better product.

Yes, there is a gear system inside that can be damaged if the system is forced to run. The software warned of the issue and shut down due to resistance. The roll pin can be purchased from any Hobie kayak dealer. The motor can only be repaired at a Torqeedo service center.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am very familiar with your issue and on a Duffy Electric boat I once owned, I installed one of these SS line cutters on the shaft.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/ ... ~/$_35.JPG
It worked very well, but you need to be careful as these cutters are very sharp and can inflict serious damage to a hand and fingers.

I know this device will not fit onto a torqueedo motor, but if you could configure your blade to mimic the photo, it would be more effective as it has a stationary sharp edge to cut the line..

From seeing the results of boats hauled, where the installation consisted of a single blade, quite often the line is not cut and just wind up on the shaft....

Maybe you could fashion a "shroud" that would cover the gap between the motor housing and spinning prop??

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yeah ,i have looked at those but without excessive access to a metal/fab shop it would be hard to replicate.
even if torqeedo does design something for the evolve/ultralight......it will problably have a $299-400 price tag,which i cannot justify even if i had an expendable income(at least not for $25 worth of plastic and stainless steel)but thanks for the input..........keep the ideas coming!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i just wish my torqeedo had less computer envolved pieces....yes the technology is cool,but i would rather have the lithium battery not have a circuit board in it,as it failed when the motor got wet because of the fishing line......i believe their lithium technology is great.....i just wish the rest of the system had a simpler/less bulky/non lcd display,throttle with no gps built into the battery and with that saved $ we could all buy an extra battery and have less variables to go wrong.......error codes on these things are enough to make you want to sink em and go buy a heavy minnkota and a good lithium battery......at least the thing would work every time........ive had the fuse go in one of my batteries(which of coarse only they can fix(shipping lithium is $$$$$$),the motor seal broken to flood the motor(my fault i know)and the main wiring cable split because apparently they say it had to much of a bend in it.........after shipping $950ish......on top of paying $2600 for the system and an extra battery.........at what point do you stop the bleeding......i already told myself if this happens again....im done with this system....rant rant rant....lol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been using an Hobie Evolve motor inserted in the Mirage well on my 2011 Outback for four years with no problems. I must admit that I never fish with it in use but do use it to traverse to distant fishing grounds. The originator of this post doesn't provide much information regarding whether the motor was attached to the rudder or inserted in the Mirage well at the time this occurred. In addition they didn't state whether the line came off their own reel or if they were fishing in close proximity to other fisherman all of which will greatly increase the risk of this type of problem. My suggestion is use the motor for long trips and to overcome strong rip currents but avoid using it while actively fishing. Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

but the only reason i bought this system was for trolling purposes as i cant pedal for 6 hours straight,at least not with the outbacks seat.......wish i didnt buy the 2013 outback as the 2015 model looks like they finally got the sat dialed........wahhhhhhhhhhh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Some of the issues corrected in the past few years or coming soon:

Software - revised
Fuse can now be reset - fixed
Cable cover had a material issue from their supplier - fixed
Throttle readout - Cell / iPad app and accessory - way better
Seal on throttle - revised / fixed
Housing leaks - way better materials / fixed
Fish line - Fix coming

Your system is how old?

Hobie Cat USA