Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am new to kayak fishing and am in need of opinions on these 2 models: 2007 Revolution and outback SUV.
100% fishing for bass in NE Florida Creeks and lakes. I see that the outback is wider and the revolution is longer,,so I guess this equates to longer faster, wider more stable. My primary concern is stability. Any thoughts greatly appreciated..
thanks
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bellbjax-Yes, in general terms, wider is more stable and longer is faster but not always. Both boats you are looking at are stable. Both are great fishing platforms. The new Outback has a bit different hull shape than past Outbacks which make it somewhat faster to paddle and raise primary stability somewhat. With a hard chine and wide outside sponsons, the Outback would very difficult to flip. It maneuvers very well, is fast while under mirage power but is somewhat lacking in speed when under paddle power. The side trays are wonderful.

The Revolution on the other hand is fast under pedal or paddle. Is very stable but not as stable as the outback. Has great side compartment storage, handles well and is more versatile.

You mentioned creek use. This may be the defining factor. The Mirage drive does need a minimum of water under the keel, maybe 14 to 18 inches depending. How shallow and rock strewn are the creeks/rivers you are talking about. In the rivers around here in south central Texas I don't even take the Mirage drive, I just paddle. It is too much of a headache for me to keep removing and replacing the drive while pulling the yak over rocky, shallow rapids and such. In this environment, although the Outback is more maneuverable the Revo is my choice because if it's paddling characteristics.

I feel the Outback is the best all out fishing machine but the Revo is the best combination of all worlds, paddle, pedal, sail or fishing. My recommendation? Go find a dealer and test paddle/pedal both.

I have an Adventure and a Revolution and love them both but use them for different purposes. Long runs and/or fast trips the Adventure...everything else the Revo.

Hope this helps

Kyt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My kayak use will be 100% for fishing... no sailing, as little paddling as possible :) I hope,, which I why I am leaning toward the mirage drive kayaks... I want hands free most of the time to fish... unlike my canoe... which is a major pain...
The types of creeks I am refering to have at least 3 to 5 foot of water, even at the lowest tides, I have seen water at over 2 foot deep. No rocks, weeds, ect... St. Johns river to be specific,, tidal waters.. allot of dock fishing. flipping, skipping and pitching soft plastics and burning crankbaits, and spinnerbait type of fishing.. So I think the outback suv is the way to go for me.. I am gonna test drive both in the am on a lake at the dealer.. So hopefully I will be happy with one of them.. anything more stable than my 14 foot johnson canoe is going to be a HUGE step up in quality.. I can't sneeze in that canoe without feeling I am going for a swim..
Question is it true that the mirage drive works only in forward.. and that it cannot be used to backup..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey bellbjax,
Welcome to the Hobie Forum. Yep, as kyt sez, both have their pluses and both will be fine for what you want to do. I have the Outback and the Sport. Both have the gunwale tackle and gear trays which I really like and use all the time. The Mirage Drive will be perfect for the kind of fishing you plan to do. And yes, the Drive only works for going forward (unless you install it backwards!). So that is the main time I am forced to use my paddle or my poling stick--going in reverse. And I guarantee you will like the stability of either the Revo or the OB over your canoe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:53 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The Revo is a little faster, so has a greater range or, would get you to your fishing grounds sooner. It also would be more efficient against current, wind and chop.

Here's a photo review of the Revo -- you should have no stability problems with either, so it doesn't end up as much of an issue.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=4534

The side trays are nice on the Outback, however. By the way, if those are important to you, Apalach prefers his (wife's) Sport to his Outback for fishing because of its light weight and maneuverability. If you look at his posts, you will also find a wealth of rigging ideas for both.

By the way, you can learn to use the Mirage Drive in less than a foot of water by operating the pedals in a flutter pattern near the hull rather than a full sweep.

Finally, if you shop for an Outback, be sure you actually get the '07 model -- it has some significant hull improvements! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Turbo Revo with a sailing rudder (better responce). The flip up rudder is worth it (Hauling/Storage)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner, Apalach ,
thanks for the additional info and link to the review of the revo,, that one pic of the fellow standing on the kayak says it all... I do however like the extra nice fisherman friendly features that are molded into the cap of the outback.. I am going over to Blackcreek outfitters this am to test them both out.... wish me luck
thanks again for all the help
brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bellbjax, let us know what you think. Always like to hear others opinions. Make sure you do a search on Apalach. He has posted some excellent rigging information on both his (wife's) Sport and his Outback. Your river use sounds like a non issue for you so either will be a winner for you. Enjoy!

kyt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, guys thank you very much for all the advise and input, on outback. I just returned from testing it out and unfortunately it was not the right fit for me.. fit and finish was awesome ,, seemed very stable, but with my lower back problems, from the moment I sat in it, to the moment I got out.. I was in allot of pain, we tried adjusting the seat position and pedels,, nothing seemed to releave the presure I was having in my lower back into my legs, I am in very good physical shape, but due to a car accident I have back in 1987 that damaged discs in my lower back the hobie is not for me.. What I think I am going to look at is some higher quality canoes.. yes not as stable, but at least I can sit not in pain. My current canoe is great for fishing Johnson 14 foot x 44 inches wide. But as all canoes,, a little tippy.. even though I do not think it would roll over... as I have leaned way over the side to pull a couple rods that went for a swim..
Again thank you very much for all the info and advise.. much appreciated.
Regards
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brian,
I’m really sorry to hear that a Hobie Mirage Drive yak might not be in your future because of your back injury. But, I can’t let you off the hook that easily. Three suggestions:

1. There are a number of custom seats out there that permit at least some folks with serious back injuries to still use a kayak. I don’t personally have any experience with these seats since the stock Hobie seat works for me as is. But I know there are at least a few folks on the Forum here who might be able to advise you on this.

2. The brand new “Canoe and Kayak Buyer’s Guide 2007â€

Post subject: thanks for the tip
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I actualy test ran the native canoe.. very confortable the one in the above picture. the price was pretty good too.. about 700.00 for the plastic one and 2K for the fiberglass,, weight was good to 50 pounds for plastic, and 40 for the fiberglass.. very stable , easy to paddle, and tracks true.. that may be in my future... gonna take my time and test ride as many hybrids as possible.. thanks again.
Brian..

The hobie is an awesome boat,, if I had not had the pain in my lower back it would be in my garage now... If anyone from Hobie scans this thread, and has any suggestions for me,, with the seating and back issue.. please feel free to contact me. I would love to have an outback.
[email protected]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

...too many years under alignment racks, pulling on rusted tie rods. My lower back has some damage (not as bad as yours, I think). I have a Classic and a Sport. The Classic bothers me...the Sport doesn't. The seating position in the Sport is higher (legs/feet lower) than the Classic. I tried the Adventure and the Revolution and felt similar to the Classic seating position.

Anyway, the issue seems to be that you and I have to sit up straighter. Try the Sport with a towel double draped over the top of the back, or with a life jacket on (one that is very stiff in the upper back). Pull the seat back up pretty straight, and add a gel pad on top of the Hobie seat pad.

It will help if you use the Turbo fins, and set them up for minimum pitch angles (max loose on the adjustment screw). That will dramatically slow down your pedaling rhythm and reduce your back stress. I modified my Turbo fin mounting (for the Sport) by using longer cross bolts with the center turned down slightly (hourglassed in the middle). This lets the sails rotate farther during pitch change. Our Sports cruise nicely at 3 mph with this set-up and the effort is very light.

It might work for you. My wife and I think the Sports are magic. Super stable (you can lean sideways on one arm to relax your back), quick turning, and light to handle. Absolutely our favorite, and the cheapest to boot!

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey JimL,
First off--welcome to the Hobie Forum. Although I have lower back problems from time to time, I have to agree that I have had no problems in that regard with the Sport. I am about at the upper size limit for the Sport, but the stock Hobie seat seems to work for me--I have gone for 7 hours straight with no standing or abandon ship drills (but with a few cramps after about 5 hours!). There are all sorts of pads and custom seats/pads out there that also have been known to help folks with back problems, so there may be some help there. But the Sport has also become my favorite as well, mainly because of its light weight and ease of handling. I know Hobie is thinking about some light weight boats using newer materials like Kevlar/carbon, so I hope to be able to check out something like that from the Hobie Mirage stable eventually.
Best,
Dick