Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

We currently enjoy leaving our boat on the beach for the season along the Jersey Shore for a nominal fee from the town and I'm wondering if there's anything similar in the Tampa Bay area. We're considering relocating to the Hyde Park in the next 6-12 months.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:40 am 
Site Admin

search.php?keywords=Tampa&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=19&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

onepontoonafternoon wrote:
Hi,

We currently enjoy leaving our boat on the beach for the season along the Jersey Shore for a nominal fee from the town and I'm wondering if there's anything similar in the Tampa Bay area. We're considering relocating to the Hyde Park in the next 6-12 months.

Thanks!

Hyde Park's a great section of Tampa to live in. No opportunity to store or launch a Hobie into the bay from there though. There are several clubs around the Tampa Bay area that provide dry, mast-up storage (see Matt's search link). I keep mine at the Clearwater Community Sailing center, about 30 minutes from downtown Tampa (on a good day). I don't know of any town on Tampa Bay, Boca Ciega bay or the gulf beaches that offers on the beach storage, although Siesta Key in Sarasota (about an hour away) has cats stored on the beach.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I live in Tampa on Bayshore at South Howard. I usually launch my H14 at one of two places here in Tampa. Near the southern tip of Davis Island is a small public beach where you can back your trailer right up to the water and launch into the sea plane basin (27.909724 -82.447090). The other launch spot I often use is the canoe launch at Picnic Island (27.853833 -82.552608). Here too it is possible to back your trailer up to the water.

As John stated there is no mast-up beach storage around Tampa. One possibility would be to join Davis Island Yacht Club and store your boat mast up on the trailer there. The Davis Island public beach for launching is just a couple hundred feet from the club entrance. DIYC is almost entirely sailboats many of which are kept on trailers. They even have a handful of beach cats.

There are two more possible launch sites close by Tampa that I know of on the bay. I’ve not used either but I know others that have. One is the south end of the Gandy Bridge (27.876132 -82.592305) and the other is E. G. Simmons Park (27.745712 -82.470575).

The Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater area is a great place to sail. You can pretty much sail all year although wetsuits come in quite handy in the winter. As I write this its sunny and 50 degrees. Davis Island has winds at 14 mph with gusts to 24 mph. So it looks like the Hobie will stay on the trailer this afternoon and the Mistral will get wet.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dunedin Causeway/Honeymoon Island 30 miles west of Tampa is right on the Gulf of Mexico. You can back right down to the waters edge. Intercoastal protected and open gulf sailing at it's best. Several shoal islands to camp on or just hang out. Overnight mast up storage with permit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Another great spot to consider for mast up storage is Gulfport Yacht Club on the souther tip of St. Petersburgh / Tampa right on Boca Ciego Bay. I live two hours away in Fort Myers, but come up here at least once a month to sail in a club race with really good local Hobie 16 sailors. Great club, great people and a nice protected bay for flat water sailing, especially when the seabreeze kicks in.

Here is their website: http://www.gulfportyachtclub.com/

They have mast up storage available and also a boat ramp and beach to launch from, as well as a clubhouse for bathrooms, showers, etc.

They also have a facebook page, so check them out there as well.

Fred
Division 8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

One more storage location not too far away from Hyde Park is the Tampa Sailing Squadron in Apollo Beach.

http://www.tampasailing.org/

Let me know if you need help with your relocation to Tampa - I'm a Realtor with Keller Williams. 8)

http://tjcouch.kwrealty.com/