Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rather than make something, I elected to install ready-made products to get my fishfinder and transducer mounted on my I9s.

First, I installed a Hobie Accessory Holder Kit ($21). This gets glued on.

Next I mounted a "Liberator" ($39.99 from kayakfishinggear.com) to the accessory holder. This consists of a 10" x 4.5" platform and a folding transducer deployment arm. Mounting hardware was a bit of a hassle. The screws you need to mount anything to the Hobie accessory holder is 1/4x20, which is the most common machine screw on the planet. However, length is critical. Too long, and the screw ends up being driven into your kayak. 1" was a bit too long and 3/4" was too short. I ended up counter sinking the mounting holes (with a spade-type bit) so that the 3/4" screws would reach. If you do this, counter sink first, then drill the mounting hole! The material that the Liberator is made of is very easy to work with. Kinda like what a cutting board is made of (maybe a little softer)! Also notice the Liberator is not a rectangle, but has a "wing" up front to put the transducer arm where it needs to be.

For power, I found a 10 AA battery holder ($2.30 from thomasdistributing.com) for my 2700 mHh rechargeable batteries that I found at Fryes. This provides a full 12 volts and I expect plenty of run time.

I mounted a box with velcro to store all the cables and the battery pack. The transducer deployment arm folds up and can stay on the kayak when the kayak is folded.

View from inside the kayak:

View from outside the kayak:

Transducer deployed:

Transducer folded:

Kayak ready to fold:

10 AA Battery holder w/ 9V-style snap connector:

Fishing mostly in N. Tx.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice job and good pictures... Pictures saved 1000s of words... Thanks a bunch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well done,
I like how you have the whole thing together as one removable unit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks. I plan to leave everything in "ready-to-use" arrangement and simply re-mount the assembly to the accessory mount for each trip. It's just 4 screws and 2 would probably be plenty. Originally, I had planned to remove the fishfinder head and lay the battery box in the Mirage drive well. But, as I noticed, the drive well is where the hull's bow ends up when folding!

The other thing that was less than ideal was the 2 large holes I had to bore into the sides of the "waterproof" box. This is to allow the transducer cable to enter and both it and the power cable to exit. In hindsight, I guess one hole would have sufficed, but, one hole or two, the box is no longer waterproof. I found appropriate sized rubber grommets and then filled the hole with foam earplugs! It may be safe from splashing, but that's about it.

I really like the design of the folding transducer arm. My only concern is it's ability to withstand impact with something in the water. I fish in really "stumpy" areas with poor visibility. The arm folds forward, but not backwards - by design - to keep it in position while underway. Hopefully it will be as resilient as the Mirage Drive. My drive unit takes quite a bit of abuse!

Fishing mostly in N. Tx.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I like this...

... a whole lot!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Gleeloyd, Love your setup, can you update me on how it's working? I know it's been about 11 months since the post. You mentioned you left the transducer arm attached when folding. Is that still working? I guess if that stays the liberator pad stays as well. I just bought an inflatable is12, and this is my first accesory to work on.

Thanks,

Beachpotato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi

Im using i9s, currently interested in your set-up for the fish finder.
Been trying to figure a perfect way of mounting it.

Rahmat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I tried something similar some time ago, but found the transducer arm on the liberator too flimsy and wanting to fold back when moving at even a moderate pace. I mounted the transducer instead to the rudder and that works ok but I'd rather have it sidearmed. If yours doesnt fold back and you have any idea why mine is I'd love to hear it. The setup in your pics looks similar but different than the arm I have maybe it's older design as I dont have that small block at the top.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

nice setup! i just got a i12s. enjoying it. will be following your ideas to build my own. i am wondering where you got the 10" x 4.5" platform?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

the link provided in the original post includes the platform. my apologies :) can't wait to build it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I wanted to provide an update on this setup. I abandoned the rechargeable AA batteries in favor of a single 12V rechargeable battery that I found at Batteries Plus. I went in the store knowing the physical size I needed and they were able to provide that no problem - along with an inexpensive charger (they have tons of batteries for anything/everything!) The AA batteries would simply not last long enough. The new battery has surplus capacity - I've never exhausted it.

Fishing mostly in N. Tx.