Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on a used WAVE
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello -
I belong to a sailing club and have access to Interlake 18 monohulls on a modest-sized inland lake. I've been looking for a personal boat for when I am solo (club doesn't allow it), or want to sail somewhere else (I'm in Michigan - lots of water everywhere). I've always wanted a catamaran, but the Hobie 16 seems a bit much. My wife and I (late 40's, in good shape, 340 lbs. combined) like to camp by Lake Michigan and so a boat easily dragged around a beach would be great. Our kids are college-bound and moving into adulthood, and won't always be with us to help with the boat. I want a boat that's quick and easy to rig, and comfortable. Carrying 3 or 4 occasionally is also a requirement. I have looked at the Capri 14.2. It's roomy, but it's not exactly a beach boat, weighs 340 lbs., and hull speed is only 5.6 knots. The Hobie 14 looks like fun, but more involved with rigging and a lower capacity(?). It seems the Hobie WAVE would be a good choice.

We sailed a rental WAVE on Rehoboth Bay this summer, but it was not a great experience: There was very little wind, all four of us were on board, the heat was about 95 degrees with unbelievable humidity, and the jet skiers were buzzing around like flies. But my wife, who is not crazy about sailing in monohulls, LOVED it. Go figure.

So . . . there is a 1996 WAVE for sale about an hour and a half away. I have seen two photos (not close-ups) and it looks in good shape. It comes with a galvanized trailer. The asking price is $2,500.

Finally, HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS: a. Is the WAVE a good choice for us? b. Is this price too high for a '96? Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Perfect boat. I own a Hobie 20, and a wave. The wave is perfect for my kids and wife. Fast enough to be fun, enough volume to carry a load. The price is a good question, but really is more based on condition and used boat availability. I think buy it. From what you describe, the price you pay will be forgotten after the first 10 kt wind day of sailing. :wink:

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the response. Anyone else want to chime in on the price issue of this used '96 Wave?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:15 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
The price seems to be about right if not a little low. Make sure the tramp is in okay shape and the mainsail is useable, that window in the sail can be fixes for around 100 bucks, they tend to wear out. Don't waist your time looking at the rigging unless your just trying to work them down, replace it ASAP this way you start with good stuff and you know how old it is. The wave is a great boat I have one behind the house with my H16, I find I use the wave as much or more. I say go for it and join the Hobie Way of Life!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers