Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would like a depth sounder on my new 2015 Tandem Island.

I've noticed that often Fishfinders provide that function at less cost than a single-function depth sounder. I note that the 2015 TI is Lorance (R) Ready.

When you watch the video on the Hobie Company's website about the Lorance Ready feature, the narrator says that the Transducer is for a Lorance DSI-type Fish Finder. Going to Lorance's website and finding the same transducer depicted in the video, the information is that it works with either the Elite 5 DSI or 5x DSI or the Mark 5X DSI Fishfinder.

Is the Lorance Ready System really limited to that Transducer and therefore those particular Fishfinders? One may already be discontinued. I realize models of electronic products have a short marketlife, but I already have an inexpensive fishfinder from Huminbird for use on a Sea Eagle FoldCat. I'd just as soon adapt it and maybe a shape-compatible transducer from Humnbird; if such exists.

Would anyone on the forum and the Hobie company care comment?

Thank you.

~John

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Due to there being so many different sized and shaped transducers on the market these days, it's probably impossible to design a "transducer ready" option that will work with all of them. Why Hobie chose Lowrance as the single option I have no idea. You'd have to ask them.

Once I tried a Garmin FF I haven't looked back at my Lowrance or Eagle units. But there are various ways to mount transducers other than Lowrance. Granted it won't be as easy as the built in option, but it's not a terrible big deal. We were all doing this before the "Lowrance ready" feature was added to the boats. You can certainly get your current FF and transducer to work, but you may have to go a different route than using the Lowrance appendage found on the boat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same concerns. There are some useful videos out there of guys mounting other brands of tranducers into the Lowrance Ready system.

I would recommend this video as one example.

There may be others out there. Cheers! Let us know if you find more info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PWeRKyAT-E

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Lowrance mount really is pretty basic, ought to be reasonably useful for other transducers. You unscrew the plate under the hull and inside it has two sets of fingers sticking up 2-3". The transducers have an arm that angles up and forward with an eye to bolt them to a mount. You put that eye between the fingers, then pick the best-fitting of some bits of molded plastic Hobie supplies in the mounting kit. These have teeth on one side to mate with the transducer arm, and a ridge on the other side that slides in the fingers of the mounting plate. Find the bits that hold everything best, run a bolt through it all, tighten so the bottom of the transducer is just above the plate.

The only issue will be size, if the transducer body will even fit, and that's an issue with some Lowrance models now too.

I have an Elite 5 CHIRP which fit just fine, but I keep thinking I might prefer to have it inside the hull up toward the bow. That Lowrance pocket is toward the back of my TI so I'm essentially seeing where I've already been... (I'm just using it for depth / charting as well, I don't fish.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've got a Dragonfly mounted in the lowrance ready on my AI. The dragonfly probably has the largest transducer, and most idiotic wiring scheme of the modern fish finders, but it still fits. You do have to take a dremel to the cover, but that's easy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi coachstevo

I am considering a Dragonfly for my TI. I thought the single wiring harness would be convenient. No? What hassle did you have?

Also, does the Dragonfly work well in saltwater while mounted under and in contact with the Lowrance-ready cover?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The single harness is super convenient, once you get it installed. My soft brain had a hard time pulling the wires thru for the fittings. No big deal.
I only use it in the salt, and it is amazing. Most of our fishing where we need to see structure takes place in less than 180 feet. The clarity of the images at about 100 or so is ridiculous. I can easily see rockfish hanging on boulders, and salmon under bait.
I wish I had bought the 7inch, I have the 5, as the split screen is pretty small, but that's just a nit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had a retired iPad and downloaded the Navionics package and paired it with the Vexilar sounder system. The transducer from Vexilar fits and works just fine. If you have a tablet you are prepared to risk losing/damaging then this might be a solution for some.