Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Revo seat upgrade
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've spent a ton of time searching the interwebs for some kind of seat upgrade for my Revo and never found anything close to what I wanted. I wanted an elevated seat that would be comfortable on those long days inshore and not be too high to make me easily flip-able. I finally found what I was looking for yesterday. I picked up a stadium chair for $36.99 from Academy Sports and rushed straight home with it. It fit perfectly without having to modify anything. I simply set it in between the 2 most forward seat clips, ran a strap through them and the front of the seat and then put 2 small foam pads on the backside to keep the seat from scratching/digging in to the yak. I tested it out for a couple of hours last night and it's awesome! Very comfortable and a lot more spacious than the other seat. It is slightly more tipsy than before but not enough to be worried about. I'm still going to use the original seat when I go offshore but this is definitely gonna make my inshore days much more enjoyable!ImageImage

Post subject: Re: Revo seat upgrade
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

wonder how long that seat will last..I might try one

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At $40 you can't go wrong when comparing to a Vantage seat :mrgreen: Couple of other kayak mfg's are using the Larry Seat.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hope you have outriggers.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Outriggers are for old men and sissy's :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There are some posts on hobie sailing forums where guys are adding a lead hanging keel below the yak for stability WITHOUT using outriggers. Weigh 20-30 lbs to add a lot of stability. Like your seat solution.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well said, Islandspeed :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I prefer to call my outriggers/sidekicks "water wings" and I am not ashamed to admit I use them when solo fishing or sailing.

...well...maybe I'm a little bit ashamed. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

islandspeed2001 wrote:

:roll: :roll: Hey, hey! Respect your elders; there are a lot of us out here! Kayaking isn't only for the young... and if you're lucky you, too, will be old one day. There's nothing 'sissy' about knowing your limitations... in fact, it is a sign of maturity!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My "wind-up" was not really intended to offend anyone but rather to make the observation that perhaps the answer to the question of whether to use or not use stabilisers/waterwings/outriggers or whatever you want to call them is sometimes a bit of a state of mind thing. I read about lots of people using them but I can't really quite understand why.

If people were falling out of these kayaks like lemmings falling over a cliff they would have been banned years ago... so that isn't happening!

And judging by the photos I have seen on this forum many people are using their boats on very calm waterways.

Yet so many people are still using outriggers and I can't quite see why.

Judging by the way some of those boats are loaded up with gear in the photos that I have seen, perhaps it has to do with them being considerably more top heavy than my lightly-loaded craft...

Maybe there are mitigating personal/environmental circumstances...

And I am sure that everyone who does/doesn't use them will be able to provide ample justification for their decision and fair enough, it is their decision not anybody else's...

...so each to their own I guess (but personally I reckon the boats are a lot better without, so why not try without first before assuming that they are needed?!)

With due deference to my elders and betters, while I am not going to reveal my age on this forum, for the record I am no spring chicken either I assure you 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

(censored) wrote:
islandspeed2001 wrote:

:roll: :roll: Hey, hey! Respect your elders; there are a lot of us out here! Kayaking isn't only for the young... and if you're lucky you, too, will be old one day. There's nothing 'sissy' about knowing your limitations... in fact, it is a sign of maturity!

There are not a lot of you out there who are my elders. I am 71 years old and still say that Outriggers are for old men and sissy's. If most of you would leave off half the s*** you carry on your kayaks and would just go fishing instead of looking like a homeless person, you wouldn't be so top heavy and there would be no need for outriggers :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail a 2013 Adventure and don't use the sidekicks preferring to hike out. I don't think they add anything to the look of the boat either. I like the purity of the boat as a sailing machine and feel the sidekicks add drag and look awkward. There are times where if I was going out deep into the sea the sidekicks might make me feel a bit more secure though which is the appeal of the Adventure Island to me with its Ama's. I wish there was something in-between .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bo-Keifus wrote:
I've spent a ton of time searching the interwebs for some kind of seat upgrade for my Revo and never found anything close to what I wanted. I wanted an elevated seat that would be comfortable on those long days inshore and not be too high to make me easily flip-able. I finally found what I was looking for yesterday. I picked up a stadium chair for $36.99 from Academy Sports and rushed straight home with it. It fit perfectly without having to modify anything. I simply set it in between the 2 most forward seat clips, ran a strap through them and the front of the seat and then put 2 small foam pads on the backside to keep the seat from scratching/digging in to the yak. I tested it out for a couple of hours last night and it's awesome! Very comfortable and a lot more spacious than the other seat. It is slightly more tipsy than before but not enough to be worried about. I'm still going to use the original seat when I go offshore but this is definitely gonna make my inshore days much more enjoyable!ImageImage

Hey Bo, not sure if you are around but I wanted to se how the seat has held up, especially from the salt. I saw the same seat at Sports Authority today, but the 8 lb weight and steel tubing made me hesitate. It did feel rock solid and the full-length rubber bottom lends me to believe it would not slip around much while pedaling.

As an alternative, this seat (GCI Outdoor BleacherBack™ Stadium Seat) was also in stock as well as sold by Academy. I think it might work best if mounted on top of the Hobie seat, but not sure if anyone has tried this. It is $13-$19 cheaper and has less metal (5 lbs lighter). Looking for feedback on both chairs, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well written, Stobbo and Islandspeed. I have a sense of humour that allows me to read most of the tongue in cheek comments as they were written; in jest, with perhaps an undertone of truth of the writer's opinion. But there's no point being offended. Get a laugh, get a sense of humour, have your own opinion, and as long as you are not blatantly taking the piss or being abusive then express your opinions as freely as everyone else. In fact, I see Fish It's comment as a bit of fun from him, too, and he is quietly sitting having a chuckle over the whole thing. Take care not to chuckle too hard, Fish it, you might fall overboard, which is where we have (me included) gone with our reaction to the "old and sissy" thing....WAY overboard.

Meanwhile, don't worry, be happy, yak on, and use stabilisers or not. Who really cares if you do or don't. It's good to read how differently people view various issues.

When I first got my Revo 13 I wanted to rig it with sail and motor. The motor went on and it's a great addition. Sans outriggers, I hit capping and rolling swells under power as well as peddling and at a good speed (using the motor as well as peddling gets far more speed out of just one or the other alone, without a lot of effort - I am impressed with this setup). Some of the swells have been as tall as houses (bungalows) and the Revo manages them well. It took a bit at first to gain the confidence and skill to take them on, and I am still hesitant to turn around and surf them in, but I will get there, I'm sure. Part of the hesitation is that I am not a confident swimmer, so when out past the coast playing with the dolphins I always wear my PDF. Paddling around close to shore in the rivers and estuary I may go without, but that depends on the day.

Outriggers? Still don't have them, but as soon as the sail goes up I am sure I will be looking at them more seriously.

Hmmm... are stabilisers the yakker's version of a zimmer frame?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

staktup wrote:
Bo-Keifus wrote:

Hey Bo, not sure if you are around but I wanted to se how the seat has held up, especially from the salt. I saw the same seat at Sports Authority today, but the 8 lb weight and steel tubing made me hesitate. It did feel rock solid and the full-length rubber bottom lends me to believe it would not slip around much while pedaling.

As an alternative, this seat (GCI Outdoor BleacherBack™ Stadium Seat) was also in stock as well as sold by Academy. I think it might work best if mounted on top of the Hobie seat, but not sure if anyone has tried this. It is $13-$19 cheaper and has less metal (5 lbs lighter). Looking for feedback on both chairs, thanks!

So I bought them both, mounted them both, sat in both, and saw & felt how poorly they fit in the cockpit so no aqua testing for me. Too bad and thanks for the suggestion Bo, judt not for me.