Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,
I just bought a new Hobie Outback and would like to use my Yakima Mako Saddles, but looking at the bottom of the outback it doesn't look right. bottom of kayak looks very flat. Has anyone else used the Mako saddles on their Hobie Outback?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Mako saddles will bend/curve (bottom down) to fit your Outback....just adjust the final spacing once the Outback is on the roof rack.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a set of Mako saddles and rollers. The rollers looked fine to me but the saddles just looked like i was going to have to flex them a lot to get them to work. I was real worried about breaking them. They are only plastic and didn't look all that strong. Plus my truck is very tall and this new Hobie is a lot heavier then my old kayak. I have decided to just go with a trailer to keep the boat a lot lower to make it easier to handle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TWS....If you look closely at this photo, you can see the Yakima Mako saddles conform to the shape of the hull of my old Hobie Outback.....at the rear, you can see the Show Boat roller I installed on the roof rack of my Subaru Outback....it eases loading and protects the spoiler containing the "3rd" stop light located atop the back hatch..

My Hobie Outback fit like a dream....and the saddles are secured to the rack and kayak using the Yakima factory straps.

This rack is now 4 years old and my son is using it on the same car....I sold it to him for a princely sum to keep it in the family :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I mounted my mako saddles today and had trouble getting a lot of hull contact with the curved saddle...How much hull contact did you have with the Mako saddles in the front of your outback, your photo shows good contact on the saddles near the stern..... Im wondering if i need to push them further from the keel . Nice trout !!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I mounted my mako saddles today and had trouble getting a lot of hull contact with the curved saddle...How much hull contact did you have with the Mako saddles in the front of your outback, your photo shows good contact on the saddles near the stern..... Im wondering if i need to push them further from the keel . Nice trout !!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you look closely at the photo, you can see the saddle curves up and that is plenty of support.....also, the spacing/location is just forward of the side molded paddle fitting.
I ran/fed the strap once around the crossbar, from saddle to saddle for extra security
Cinch up the strap and all is good.

Thanks, that was a 8.5# rainbow trout I caught while trolling in 10' of water......there were several tree stumps on the outflow spot, in the lake I was fishing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use Mako saddles for my Outback on my Yakima trailer. They make it a lot easier to load/unload, since I can just slide the boat straight off into the water or back, but I don't like them for longer / higher-speed drives. I've found they flex quite a bit under the weight of the Outback when I hit bumps in the road, it's especially bad with rhythmic stuff like joints between concrete slabs. My first trip with them the person following thought the Outback was going to come flying off it was bouncing so much! (It rocks end-to-end, bow-up / stern-down then bow-down / stern-up.)

When going on longer trips I prefer to take the saddles off and load the Outback upside down directly on the load bars (I do the same thing when loading it on my truck rack) but it is also sufficient to simply add a second set of straps over the Outback looping them under the load bars on either side. This compresses the saddles and keeps them from allowing the rocking motion.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In my photo, you can't see the bow line I have connected to the front of my car but you can see the stern line that goes down to the trailer hitch.
I would never car top a kayak, unless there were bow and stern safety lines connected to the vehicle, that are independent of the cross bar straps.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What a beautiful fish. Cant believe nobody mentioned that! I like your posts.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Clintvava...it's 8.5 pounds and just 26 1/4" long.....a really thick hen rainbow trout I caught while trolling a "wedding ring" lure in 9' of water at Lost Lake......located on the north side of Mount Hood at 3100' elevation.