Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway vs T2
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I'm new here and been looking at several new boats for awhile. I've sailed the wave, and been on the getaway. Originally I was going for the getaway as it would be good for my nephews and friends and family. Realistically I will be the one using the boat most of the time, and the other times mostly will sail with my parents (3 adults). Then I stumbled upon the T2 and when I saw it in person I put a deposit on it and ordered one. Maybe I'm foolish, but the lines and design of the T2 were much cleaner than the getaway, and I thought that it would be significantly funner/faster for 1-3 adults. Is that the case?

I guess am asking for input from anyone who has used both boats (getaway and T2) and whether the looks of the T2 are deceiving.

Thank you in advance..

Post subject: Re: Getaway vs T2
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry, can't help you with the getaway because I've never sailed one, but I've had a t2 since January and really like the boat. It's a fun, fast, well designed boat, don't think you will be disappointed. I have sailed a wave a couple times and can tell you the t2 is much more performance oriented and significantly faster. It will sail great with 2 adults, or 1, and though it handles weight well you'll be pushing it with 3 unless you're just cruising around in light wind. I've owned a h16, h18, and h14t, and sailed A cats a couple times, and I bought the t2 to teach my kids about cat sailing. I've been very pleasantly surprised with the performance of the boat. Very fast, goes upwind well for a boat with no boards, tacks well, etc. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

sorry i haven't tried or seen a T2. I have a Getaway, had an H-17. my personal
preference is for something with wings. but I'm sure T2 will be very nice.
I set up a spin on my getaway for extra performance downwind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you everyone for the help- the insight is appreciated. I will be sailing 50% with 3 and 50% 1-2 people. If its 3 people, I'm not expecting it to be a sports car, for three it would be for cruising. This boat will be on the Chesapeake Bay and at the end of the day once the decision is made I'm sure I will be happy either way. If the performance of the getaway was close to the t2 I'd probably choose the getaway. Any other thoughts/comments are greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Before buying a Wave (which is sold now) I looked at the Getaway. For my sailing situation -- having to trailer and rig a lot -- I thought the Getaway was too much. While owning the Wave, I also got a used FX which I really loved but eventually got overwhelmed with because of the trailering and rigging time (doh). I have always wanted something as easy to rig as the Wave with the kick of the magnificent FX-One. So I got the T2. Unfortunately, I have had some medical problems that have kept me off the boat but I am really impressed with the rigging and the lines. I am sure I will find something to grouse about :wink: but it looks to be the best of both worlds. It is more manageable than a boat the size of the FX or Getaway and has performance features that are impressive...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

JJ- Thank you for the input. I hope you will get past your medical issues soon so you are able to enjoy the boat. Your insight is appreciated. I am going to stick with the T2- the rigging and lines are important to me as well. While I could swim before I could walk, I am not an expert at sailing a cat and rely heavily from those that know more than me. I'm finishing up a boat lift for the boat, which will hopefully be here in a week.

I am hoping to use the boat almost year-round as the cold doesn't bother me that much as long as there is ample wind. I will plan to post pics once the boat gets here and will share my thoughts on the boats ability with 1-3 people.

Hope you are able to enjoy the water again soon..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks. Look forward to hearing your take on the T2. One thing (the only thing!) that is different about the T2 rigging is that the bow spreader anchor bolts do not tighten down snugly. They hold the bow spreader in place and they are also the attachment point for the bridles so they appear to have to turn some to keep the bridles lined up. I might feel a little more comfortable with some teflon washers or something in order to tighten the bolts down slightly to keep them from moving in the threads. However, the threads and the bolts are heavy duty and this might be me just being an old lady about them. But DO NOT trailer this boat with the bow spreader on because, even with the bolts tight, they can spin loose UNLESS they are tied down. Don't ask me how I know... I think I will keep some marine grade anti-seize on the threads.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nothing there that a little red Loctite won't take care of! Till you want to take it apart, anyhow :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

JJ,
You mentioned being "impressed" with the T2 rigging "as compared to the Getaway", and said the T2 was "more manageable than a boat the size of the Getaway". Can you give us some detailed information on this?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pretty simply, I wanted something that I could shove around in knee-deep water. The T2 I can, the Getaway I could not. I single-hand mostly or sail with just one other person onboard.

The Getaway is designed to carry more people so it is bulkier and heavier. The mast is taller and heavier for the same reason. The T2's mast is easier to manage and rig.

The rigging of the Getaway is about the same as the T2 -- except again it is a little bigger, a little heavier, and so on. Neither the T2 or the Getaway have the kind of rigging that the FX or some of the racing boats do. I do not want to spend any more time in the parking lot rigging and de-rigging than I have to.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe the specs here in the forum are wrong, but they indicate the Getaway mast is 18" shorter, and the whole boat is only two pounds heavier (with 8 sqft more sail plan).

If those numbers are right, I don't see the big lure of the T2 from an ease of handling perspective.

JJ wrote:
Pretty simply, I wanted something that I could shove around in knee-deep water. The T2 I can, the Getaway I could not. I single-hand mostly or sail with just one other person onboard.

The Getaway is designed to carry more people so it is bulkier and heavier. The mast is taller and heavier for the same reason. The T2's mast is easier to manage and rig....

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are right about the numbers. I was wrong about the Getaway's mast being taller, and I was surprised that the T2's mast was taller. The Getaway always seemed like the mast was as tall as and about the same weight as a H16 mast (ones with no comp tip), which I always thought were bulky.

I still hold onto my perception of the T2. The T2 seems much less than the mass of the Getaway.

Looking at comparing masts, the height of the T2 mast is 6'6" more than the Wave's 20' mast and 1'2" less than the height of the FX One's mast. For me, the FX One's mast was heavy and difficult to handle (no comp tip) and the Wave's mast was easy even with the Bob. My ability to handle the T2's mast is much closer to what it was like to handle the Wave's. Even though from what Matt Miller said, the T2 mast and the H16 mast are the same.

I wanted something I can rig easily solo and that is what matters most to me. If you are stronger than I am or can store the boat mast up or always sail with a crew, that may not be your priority.

One thing that is interesting to look at is the drawings of the sails on the T2 and Getaway on the main website. The T2's sails are narrower.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't have a dog in this one; I'm a 16 sailor trying to decide if a T2 or a Getaway will be my next boat. I'd love to read some specifics on the performance: how they compare against each other and against the 16 with regard to upwind performance. I don't know the details of their hull shapes but if the T2 is essentially the same weight but has a lower load rating, I assume the hulls must be narrower which could give it an advantage upwind. And yes I did notice the taller aspect of the T2 sail plan; it makes me wonder how that rig would work as a heavy-air rig on the 16!

I have two kids who will be growing up to sail with me, and while I probably don't need to carry six people, the front tramp area of the Getaway looks like a lot of fun.

Maybe I should get a Getaway, and sell the 16 in favor of an old Tiger. Then I'd have both ends of the spectrum covered.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am very intrigued by the T2, I have a 2006 Getaway that I traded my 16 in for. By the numbers the T2 shouldn't be any faster, 172 Sq/ft on the T2 vrs 180 on the Getaway. The is virtually the same (2 lbs), but I do think it will go upwind much better than the Getaway which goes up wind about as good as a piece of 2X4. Even with the slimmer hulls I don't think it would be that much faster would it?

I would love to test sail the boat, my local dealer doesn't think that could happen this year, If I like it I might move over, although at 65 yrs old I like the solid feel of the Getaway and the back rests don't hurt an old sailing fart like me....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roy wrote:
...but I do think it will go upwind much better than the Getaway which goes up wind about as good as a piece of 2X4. Even with the slimmer hulls I don't think it would be that much faster would it?....

I recently sailed my T2 on a close reach on the same heading as a Getaway. Our speeds matched almost exactly.