Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,

I'm from Sydney Australia and this is my first post. Unfortunately it is not a merry one as I have a question about the Adventure mirage drive area cracks. Firstly let me say that this is a great forum. I wish I had found it long ago - it would have prevented my current situation.

I purchased my hull in Feb 2006. 3 weeks ago (18 Nov) I purchased some turbo fins. After two outings I developed the hull cracking issue and depression around the front part of the mirage drive. I requested a replacement hull as this seemed to be what happens in the US at least after reading this forum.

I have been told this afternoon that my hull crack has been plastic welded together and strengthened using the new retro fit kit. Apparently they can only replace a 2006 hull with another 2006 hull and that they have only ever replaced a few hulls.

I am quite upset that I was not told of the issues with the hulls when I went to my dealer to purchase the turbo fins 3 weeks ago. If I had known I definately would not have got them. I was also not told of the hull strengthening kits, I guess they have taken a while to become available in AUS.

So I am left with a hull that had been cracked and is now plastic welded. Is this an acceptable solution? It does not sit well with me and has got me quite stressed. What should I do?

Thanks,
Yellowfin

Post subject: Mirage Well Crack
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:23 am 
Site Admin

We will discuss this with the Australian facility.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stuff like this is the reason that I love Hobie and am having such a hard time getting rid of my 14.
Way to go on customer service!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G'day Yellow Fin,

I just stopped by the factory to pick up an Outback for a fishing trip today and saw your post.

The Hobie Aus warranty department is closed today (Saturday) however, I will look into the details on Monday and contact you direct to discuss the matter.

You’re in good hand here at Hobie Aus, please leave this with me.

Kind regards,

Steve Fields
Managing Director
Hobie Cat Company – Australasia PL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Steve,

Thanks for looking into this for me. You have put my mind at ease for the weekend. (Thanks Matt for your response as well.)

You actually demonstrated to me the two boats I was interested in (Quest and Adventure) at the Rosehill boatshow in February. I was impressed by your enthusiasm for the product and love my Adventure kayak. Quite funny that I went to the boat show to buy a tinny (Aluminium boat with outboard) and came out with a Hobie.

Hopefully speak to you on Monday.

Regards,
Yellowfin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Once again, nice display of Hobie's great customer service. Wish more businesses were like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Yellowfin,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Hobies. I have had an Adventure hull replaced through the help of Matt and Steve and Im sure they will look after you as well. My only criticism would be that it took a long time to get the Mirage retrofit kit down here but mine is now fitted and Im out on the water haviong a blast!!

Cheers mate
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G'day all,

Steve contacted me today and has agreed to replace my hull, even though he believes the repaired hull is still fit for its intended use. Its fantastic service as he has lifted the weight off my shoulders by getting the best possible result for me.

I must say that I am impressed by this hobie cat forum as well with so much information available, and with access to actual hobie staff - what a resource! Only problem is I ventured into the kayak sailing section and now am dreaming of a sail and some side kicks - and i have never had an interest in sailing.

Catch ya on the water,

Yellowfin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:40 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
man talk about service its 8:30 am on Monday morning and they have already taken care of you!

I would add a dagger board and a sail kit, I don't think there is a need for the side kicks unless you want a super stable ride! then again being a beginner sailor you may want that added comfort.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers