Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H18 spinnaker question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The H18 I bought last summer has a spinnaker that is bag launched (if that is the correct term for one that is cept in a bag on the tramp when not in use). I find it a bit of a pain to use the spinnaker this way, mostly from the man-handling and line management perspective while deploying and dousing the spinnaker.

From what I have read (and seen) it seems that those tubes below the spin pole seem to be the way most people are going. I imagine that set up requires a spinnaker with some sort of line attached to the centre?? Does this mean for me to conver to such a system I would have to find such a tube as well as have my spinnaker modified?

An other thing I remember from my keel boat days was having the spinnaker in a long cloth tube with a solid ring at the base of the tube. The spinnaker was hoisted while still in the tube and once it was up (it just looked like a long maybe 4 inch across tube running from the pole end to the tang) a second line was pulled and via a pulley at the tang it raised the tube up to the top of the spinnaker. To close the spinnaker the sheets are released and the tube pulled back down over the spinnaker. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of set up?

I would like to do something with my current set up as it is almost more bother then it is worth for my recreational sailing (that is most of the time with a crew that has never sailed before). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Adrio,

You have several options. The later one you described is called a sock and is not very popular on beach cats. The best way to go is with either a midpole or end pole snuffer. This is the design you described where the holding sock is mounted under the spin pole and there is a ring attached either in the middle or at the end of the pole that colapses the chute and guides it into the sock. I personally prefer the mid pole snuffer on my 18 because I think it is easier to launch/retrieve. Other people prefer the end pole set up because they think it is easier to launch/retieve. The equipment you will need is a snuffer hoop, snuffer sock, and a retievel set up. You will need to have snuffer patches added to your spin. There will be a total of three patches on the chute. If you had just one in the cent of the chute you will find that the center of the chute will get to the back of the bag while there is still sail hanging out. Any sailmaker can ad the snuffer patches and it should cost about 100 dollars or less. The way we run our set up is with a seperate guy line that runs from the tack of the sail, through a block on the end of the pole, and back to a cleat on the front cross bar. The spin halyard would need to be lengthened and we run it from the head to the halyard block on the mast, down the mast to a cleat, through a turning block on the front cross bar, back a foot or two on tramp to another turning block, toward the center of the boat a foot or so, through another turning block back toward the front, under the tramp, through the back of the snuffer sock, and then through the snuffer patches tieing off at the top snuffer patch. For launch the crew pulls the guy until the chute reaches the end of the pole and then he pulls the halyard until the sail is up and away we go. For the douse he uncleats the layard and pulls the halyard from the sock side once the sail is as far as it will go into the bag he releases the guy and pulls in the last couple of feet. Some of the end pole snuffer designs leave the tack of the sail attached to the end of the pole so there is no guy to be pulled, just the halyard. I prefer to be able to adjust my guy in case I want to get a little more rotation out of the spin. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Those “Tubesâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I paid a local sailmaker $65 to put 3 patches in my spin for a midpole snuffer.

1998 H16 102698
www.sunjammers.com ftw!