Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In Michigan you do not need registration numbers on a Kayak and the AI is considered a Kayak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm sure it varies from state to state, and AI owners will just have to test the waters and see if their boat needs to be registered. If registration and hull letters/numbers are required, I'm sure it can be figured out where to put them.

Here in Florida, the Dept of Motor Vehicles states that all boats (vessels) longer than 12' have to be registered and that requires hull letters/numbers. However, in 12 years of paddling sea kayaks between 18-20' long, I have never registered a boat and I have never been bothered by the authorities. I have been stopped occasionally and asked about a fishing license.

Post subject: Boat Numbers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Think about it. How are the marine police going to the pull up next to me when my ama is in the way. Logistically this is stupid. I'll pay the fee, put the stickers on the front top off the bow(which they wont see because of the splash shield) and take them to court if they endanger me by pulling up next to me. Next thing they will want to board! The law in NC is 14'. :roll: :x :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cekikka - I thought FL registration applied to boats having a motor (gas or electric trolling). Anyway, I can honestly say I've never seen a kayak with reg numbers on it yet.

Launched Island several times at the same time marine patrol was launching his craft. Never a mention about reg. numbers. He made comments about the craft, and how well it was made, ect.

So, I'm going to leave well enough alone.

Yakaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yakaholic, the Florida DMV states in response to a FAQ:
Quote:
If the non-motor powered vessel is less than 16 feet in length, it is not required to be registered or titled. However, if the vessel is 16 feet or more in length, it is required to be titled.

I believe if it is titled, it must have registration numbers. Again, no one I know has titled/registered a sea kayak.

Unfortunately, as more restrictions are placed on powerboaters because of their damaging and endangering the marine environment, the powerboaters are prone to blame kayakers/canoeists. Then, the powerboaters complain that if they are being restricted, kayakers/canoeists must also be restricted. Go figure.

Post subject: Texas registration
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:55 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

You need to register your AI in Texas. We have been through this in detail with Texas Parks and Wildlife. It is over 14 feet in length and sail or motor powered, so it has to be registered.

The simple plastic number stickers work pretty good because the hull is smooth.

Jay
KO Sailing
281-867-8200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In Kansas and Oklahoma you do not need to register an Adventure Island Kayak. I have checked several times with authorities on that. Also, on lakes that require day use fees on boats and sail boards, the Adventure Island is considered a "Kayak" and thus no fees apply.

John

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My AI and I were eyeballed by a Sheriff deputy on Foster Lake in Oregon. He complimented me on the boat, saying he'd never seen such a beast before, then asked me how long it was. I told him 16' and then he apprehended me and told me that all sailboats over 12' had to be registered in the state of Oregon. That is confirmed on the Oregon Marine Board website. I told him I'd been seen by enforcement multiple times and not stopped but to no avail. I also told him I had sailed a Hobie 16 catamaran for many years and was never stopped or questioned despite being seen by enforcement on many, many occasions. Doesn't matter. He gave me an advisory warning, not a citation, so that was generous. I asked him if I didn't have the sail rig on, would registration be required? No, but then I'd need an invasive species permit, which I also didn't have. If you register a boat in the normal way, that includes an Invasive Species permit. I called all three Hobie dealers in Oregon and got vague and conflicting answers but most "felt" registration was not required.
So for those who have registered their AI or TI, where did you place the registration numbers and sticker, and how were they attached? Any problem with the self adhesive numbers sticking to the surface? Anyone put them on the amas? I suppose if you did, and used the boat without the amas, that would be ok, because it wouldn't be a sailboat in that instance.
Since I haven't had this issue at any other location, I'm tempted to just not go back to Foster Lake again and try my luck, but a citation would be more expensive than registering. By the way, Foster Lake, on a summer weekend, is INFESTED with an obnoxious number of loud jet ski's and ski boats with boomer speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In Florida when I first got my TI in early 2010 I was pulled over by the shore patrol, I tried to outrun them but they had a 35 ft Scarab that will probably do 70+. They told me since the boat was longer than 16 ft it probably should be registered, they didn't give me a ticket or anything, but I imagine if they came across me a couple weeks later, I would probably get a citation so I went ahead and registered the boat. What an affair that was, it took about 2 months of going to the DMV, then going back to the dealer many times trying to get the certificate of origin (nobody had ever registered a kayak before so nobody knew what to do). The people at the DMV office finally had to call down state for instructions (quite a cluster).
Actually that was on my second time out on the boat, on our first outing my wife and I got stuck just outside big pass while the tide was running out (about 5 mph current) near sunset when the wind died. We are both really experienced Hobie kayakers and are used to pedaling up to ten hrs, then get up and do it again the next day, but that day got the best of both of us, so I was given a free ticket (from wife) to purchase an emergency motor for the boat anyway and we all know anything with a motor (gas or electric trolling) has to be registered regardless what it is, so it was a no brainer getting a title and registration anyway. Since then I have never been out without my emergency motor mounted to the boat, so it has to be registered anyway. Also my insurance agent suggested we get the boat registered and titled (much easier to track down if stolen).
There is plenty of room to mount the numbers to the bow on either the AI or TI, here is a pic of my numbers after a couple years on the boat (if anyone finds my letter L out floating on the water please return it to me LOL).

This is my 3rd TI now and I usually don't do anything to replace missing numbers until I'm down to the last couple. as long as the orange or red sticker with the actual registration on there they don't seem to bother you if a few numbers are missing here and there.
To get the numbers to stick on the PE hull is another matter. What I do is rub the hull down in the area I want to place the letters with rubber cement thinner (Bestest thinner available in the paint department at Home Depot), any brand will work as long as the active ingredient is Heptane (heptane is the aromatic in gasoline that makes it unstable so be careful), the longer it soaks on there the better it works. Heptane melts and softens PE plastic and helps you prepare the surface for painting. I then spray a coat of Krylon clear coat (for plastic) over the area where the numbers will be placed, the active ingredient in the Krylon paint for plastics to make it stick to plastic is Heptane. Once the paint sets up a little you then place the numbers onto the boat (the adhesive sticks to the paint much better than the PE). After the numbers are placed, I spray a heavy clear coat over the top of the numbers so it pools around the edges of each letter (this is actually what holds the letters down). Once done you should get years of service from the letters.
Here is a pic of my lettering on the AMA that's been on there a at least a year or two now.
Image.

On one of my hulls I used stencils and spray painted the numbers on, what a pain that was, using adhesive boat numbers is much simpler.
Without any surface prep the letters last about a week or two, then start peeling off ( I'm just sayin)
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jees Bob, I am lazy! I just washed the bow down and applied the name stickers by peeling off the backing paper and pressing them down. That was over 100 outings so far and they don't look like budging!

I didn't need registration here in NSW, although all powerboats, as well as sailboats longer than 5 metres need to be registered. Fortunately TIs (at 5.64 metres) slip through the cracks, as canoes or kayaks are exempt. This crack is pretty wide, as a TI also qualifies as an "off the beach" sailboat, so is exempt from carrying any safety gear other than a PFD for each occupant. Non-exempt vessels need to carry lots of safety gear if venturing more than 2 miles offshore, including EPIRBs (PLBs not acceptable), flares, bailing bucket or bilge pump, anchor, compass, fire extinguisher, marine radio, 2litres drinking water per person, floating torch etc.

I carry most of that stuff anyway. My 360 degree white light which I can send to the masthead, meets minimum legal requirements for sailing at night. I actually believe full nav lights (red/green plus stern light) are a negative on our Islands, as their low height above the water gives a false sense of security that others will actually see the Island, but even worse, other vessels might mistake the Island for a powered vessel with the ability to move out of the way. A masthead light gives others the impression that the Island is at anchor, which is a safer assumption for everyone!

One day, maritime authorities will "get" Hobie Islands!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob, as a chemist I have to point out that "heptane" is not an "aromatic." Heptane is an "alkane" (...ane.) It is undesirable in gasoline because it has an octane rating of "0"--the worse for smooth running engines.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here in CA a sailboat over 12 must be registered. Kayaks no.

So, I put the stickers on the amas.

Easily visible, and plenty real estate.
When in kayak mode, no stickers.
One ama, I just point the stickers inward

DMV says the stickers just have to be permanently attached to the hull, which they are. " to each side of the forward half of the vessel"

No language for whether the hull itself has to be permanently attached.
Been stopped by DFG, and coasties in sail mode and no issues.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

cut and paste from CA DMV: http://www.dmv.com/ca/california/boat-registration

VESSELS THAT DO NOT REQUIRE REGISTRATION

New boats owned by non-residents who will primarily use the boat out-of-state
A sailboat without a motor, or any boat eight feet or less in length
Any boat that is propelled only by oars or paddles
Boats registered in another state and not used being in California
Surfboards or sailboards
A ship's lifeboat
Racing boats brought into the State for racing or maintenance

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Better to go to the direct source. "DMV.com is a privately owned website that is not affiliated with any government agencies."

From https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/boatsinfo/boatreg

What Vessels Must be Registered?

Generally, every sail-powered vessel over eight feet in length and every motor-driven vessel (regardless of length) that is not documented by the U.S. Coast Guard which is used or on the waters of this state are subject to registration by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The vessel must be located in California.
The following vessels do not have to be registered in California:

Vessels propelled solely by oars or paddles.
Nonmotorized sailboats that are eight feet or less in length.
Nonmotorized surfboards propelled by a sail and with a mast that the operator must hold upright.
A ship's lifeboat (a dinghy is not a lifeboat).
Vessels currently and lawfully numbered (registered) by another state that are principally used outside California.
Vessels brought into California for racing purposes only (exempted only during races and tune-ups).

--

Texas, USA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Being employed in search and rescue, when an unattended boat is found adrift, how do we contact the owner? Yes, the registration number on the hull will speed up the investigation process by calling the phone numbers on the registration or we send someone to their home address.